The Seven Sages (Japanese: 七賢人 Seven Sages) are notable ranking members of Team Plasma. They are a group of intelligent people from all over the world. This group consists of Gorm, Bronius, Rood, Zinzolin, Giallo, Ryoku, and Ghetsis. Ghetsis gathered the sages, and acts as their internal leader.
In the games
Pokémon Black and White
The sages are met individually throughout the games, but all of them are seen together in N's Castle where they block the way to N. All the Gym Leaders (with the exception of Cilan, Chili, and Cress) appear and clear the way to N. They typically refrain from battling, having Grunts do so for them.
Pokémon Black 2 and White 2
The Seven Sages have a different role in the sequels.
Rood is encountered in Driftveil City, living with Anthea and Concordia and several Grunts in the original Team Plasma's safehouse. After losing in a battle with the player, he gives the player N's Zorua. Shortly afterward, he appears on Route 6 after the player has encountered Cobalion. Later, he appears leading the members of the original Team Plasma against Ghetsis's new Team Plasma at the Giant Chasm, occupying their forces to allow the player to reach Ghetsis himself.
Zinzolin has joined the new Team Plasma under Ghetsis's leadership and battles the player several times. After the end of the game, he visits Undella Town and will give the player research conducted by Ghetsis that allows translation of the coded messages in the Abyssal Ruins. For reaching the end of the Abyssal Ruins, he will give the player a Big Pearl and subsequently departs.
Gorm appears in Pinwheel Forest, while the player and Cheren are investigating there. He tries to sneak up on them much like he did to Hilbert/Hilda in Black and White in the Dreamyard. He speaks to the two briefly and leaves. Cheren follows him.
It is unknown where the other three sages are during the events of Black 2 and White 2.
|TM01 (Hone Claws)||Gift from Zinzolin at the Cold Storage||B W|
|TM04 (Calm Mind)||Gift from Ryoku at Relic Castle||B W|
|TM08 (Bulk Up)||Gift from Giallo at Route 14||B W|
|TM32 (Double Team)||Gift from Rood at Route 18||B W|
|TM69 (Rock Polish)||Gift from Bronius at Chargestone Cave||B W|
|TM75 (Swords Dance)||Gift from Gorm at the Dreamyard||B W|
|Big Pearl||Gift from Zinzolin at Undella Town||B2 W2|
In the anime
In the anime, the Seven Sages appeared in a flashback in Secrets From Out of the Fog!. They, along with Ghetsis, were leading a ceremony involving N at N's Castle. However, the ceremony was interrupted when Reshiram suddenly appeared and set the Castle on fire, causing all of them excluding Ghetsis to flee in terror. Unlike their game and manga counterparts, the Seven Sages (except Ghetsis) appear to be young and have no distinct identities.
In the manga
The Seven Sages debuted as a group in Letting Go. Each sage has several Team Plasma Grunts as their subordinates. The only exception is Ghetsis, who has the Shadow Triad as his subordinates. Each individual sage was given a task to further Team Plasma's ideals by Ghetsis.
- Gorm was given the task of collecting information about the Unova Legendary Pokémon, Reshiram and Zekrom. His search led to stealing the Dragon Fossil from Nacrene Museum, but was stopped by Black and Burgh.
- Bronius was tasked with spreading Team Plasma's ideals to the populace. In The Case of the Missing Pokémon, he supervised the kidnapping of Pokémon in Castelia City, including Bianca's Litwick, but was stopped by Black.
- Ryoku was tasked with capturing Volcarona at the Desert Resort. He eventually succeeded and presented Volcarona to Ghetsis.
- Giallo was tasked with capturing Tornadus, Thundurus, and Landorus to strengthen Team Plasma's forces. He succeeded this goal in A Stormy Time in the Battle Subway.
- Zinzolin was not given a task by Ghetsis, as he questioned why Gorm was given the role to research Reshiram and Zekrom despite him having already done research on the two.
- Rood was tasked with capturing Victini. His Grunts attempted to complete this task in At Liberty on Liberty Garden, but were defeated by Black. In the Black 2 & White 2 chapter, Rood was revealed to have also been directly in charge of Whitley and her mother when they were Team Plasma members.
- The group shares its name with many historical and fictional groups.
- Six of the Seven Sages have quoted proverbs from several Chinese philosophers.
- Sage Zinzolin quotes a proverb from Mencius and a line from Tao Te Ching at N's Castle.
- Sage Gorm quotes a proverb from Sun Tzu's The Art of War in Pinwheel Forest, and a line from both The Analects and Huainanzi at N's Castle.
- Sage Bronius quotes another line from Tao Te Ching at N's Castle.
- Sage Giallo quotes another line from Mencius at N's Castle.
- In the Japanese version, Sage Ryoku quotes a line from Zhuangzi at N's Castle. In both versions, he also quotes a proverb by Song Dynasty philosopher Hu Yin at N's Castle.
- Sage Rood quotes another proverb from the Analects and made a reference to a Chinese idiom at N's Castle.
- With the exception of Ghetsis, their names are references to colors.
- The TMs given by the sages are all for stat-raising moves.
- Of these, Rood is the only sage that gives a TM that raises the user's stats by a total of one stage. The other TMs given either raise one stat two stages or two stats one stage.
In other languages
|This game character article is part of Project CharacterDex, a Bulbapedia project that aims to write comprehensive articles on each character found in the Pokémon games.|