|Journey to the Unown!
Journey to the Unown! (Japanese: ズイの遺跡のアンノーン！ Unknown of the Zui Ruins!) is the 60th episode of Pokémon the Series: Diamond and Pearl, and the 526th episode of the Pokémon anime. It first aired in Japan on December 20, 2007 along with DP061, and in the United States on June 7, 2008.
Deep in training for the Solaceon Contest, Dawn shows off Aipom's latest Contest move and discovers that Aipom has actually learned a new move: Double Hit! Then it's off to the Solaceon Ruins for a friendly battle between Ash and Dawn's friend Kenny, who's also in town for the Solaceon Contest. Our heroes aren't the only ones at the ruins—Team Rocket spots a suspicious trio in the area, including the same man who hired Team Rocket to steal the Adamant Orb from Eterna City's museum!
Inside the ruins, the strangers perform a ritual that unleashes a swarm of Unown, then escape by hitting the Unown with a Confuse Ray. This causes the ruins to emit a red light that swallows up Dawn and her Pokémon! Her friends follow her into the ruins, only to find themselves lost inside a topsy-turvy temple where up is down and angry, confused Unown are everywhere.
With a sheepish Team Rocket in tow, Dawn tries to find her way out. She has no choice but to battle the Unown and snap them out of their confusion, and Aipom evolves into Ambipom just in time to help her out. Once Ash, Brock, and Kenny catch up to Dawn, Piplup explains the situation to the Unown, who finally allow everyone to leave the ruins. Team Rocket runs off before anyone can ask them about what just happened, but Dawn and Kenny quickly put the day's strange events behind them—it's back to preparing for the Solaceon Contest!
While Dawn and Aipom are training for the Solaceon Contest, they use Focus Punch in fast succession to make it look like Aipom has two tails. Brock tells her that is actually Double Hit and Aipom is close to evolving after that move. Kenny arrives and mocks Dawn for not knowing that Aipom evolves into Ambipom. He refers to Dawn as Dee Dee, with mysterious nickname puzzling Ash yet again, but Dawn insists he not to go there. Kenny reveals that he is looking forward to the Solaceon Contest, and Dawn replies that she and Aipom will be hard to beat. Ash is keen to finish his match against Kenny, but Kenny declines, and says he was going to see Dialga and Palkia.
Meanwhile, at the Solaceon Ruins, Saturn and the two Grunts enter the ruins for unknown purposes. Team Rocket notices Team Galactic and recalls being hired to steal the Adamant Orb from the Eterna Historical Museum. Saturn sends out his Bronzor to use Flash to guide them through the ruins. Team Rocket, convinced there is treasure inside, decides to follow them without being seen.
Ash and his friends accompany Kenny to the ruins, where they marvel at the entrance featuring a Dialga and Palkia statue. Kenny offers to battle right now, right in front of the Dialga and Palkia statues, and Ash agrees to it. Ash and Kenny don't know who should go first, which causes Dawn to bring out her Pokétch App, the Coin Toss. Once the Coin Toss is done, it is decided that Ash goes first. Since Ash thinks Kenny is going to use Prinplup again, he sends out Turtwig, insisting that Pikachu should relax. Kenny, hearing this prediction, instead sends out Breloom, which surprises everyone, especially Ash. Ash starts the battle with a Tackle, which Breloom tries to dodge, but isn't fast enough. Kenny is surprised at Turtwig's speed. Ash orders Turtwig use a Razor Leaf attack, though Breloom’s Mach Punch hits first. Turtwig rushes forward with Bite, but Breloom counters with an Energy Ball. Ash is impressed by this move, and asks Kenny to teach it to Turtwig. Kenny thinks about it for a moment, and says that knowing the move Bullet Seed makes teaching Energy Ball easier. After Ash admits that Turtwig doesn't know Bullet Seed, Kenny says it will be difficult, but says he'll teach it to Turtwig if they defeat him in a battle.
Meanwhile, Team Rocket is still spying on Team Galactic. Saturn and his henchmen enter a room full of Unown inscriptions. The three of them place the Splash Plate, Iron Plate, and Draco Plate into a triangular floor plate, which causes the center to glow. Suddenly, all of the Unown inscriptions become real Unown. Having noticed Team Rocket from outside the ruins, Saturn says it's nice to see the trio again. Saturn then talks of the new world they are going to create, as a box known as the Spear Key lifts from the ground. He then takes hold of the box, which angers all of the Unown and causes them to attack. Saturn deflects them with Bronzor's Confuse Ray allowing himself and his grunts to escape to their waiting helicopter. Team Rocket proceed to run off as well, with the angry Unown right behind them. Outside, the entry stairs begin to lift up, carrying Dawn, Piplup and Aipom with it. The boys leap inside to rescue Dawn just as the Solaceon Ruins shut behind them.
Inside, Ash and Brock rush off towards Kenny, who is freaking out over the warping walls. Ash reminds Kenny to remain calm and think about how the Pokémon will feel, which brings back Kenny's confidence as the three of them head further into the ruins to look for Dawn. Meanwhile, Dawn manages to find Piplup and Aipom, though they are disorientated by their odd surrounds. The Unown appear and fire a combined attack, leaving Dawn clueless, however her Pokémon help her with Swift and Bubble Beam, respectively. Because of this, the Unown suddenly snap out of their confusion and turn the place back to normal. However, Dawn still doesn't know how to get out, and it still looked really weird up ahead. Elsewhere, the boys are swarmed by another group of Unown. Brock explains they must have been confused. Ash's Pikachu and Turtwig then proceed to attack them with Thunderbolt and Razor Leaf while Kenny's Breloom and Prinplup attack them with Energy Ball and Bubble Beam which snaps the Unown out of confusion, turning the place back to normal. Then they continue searching for Dawn.
Meanwhile, Dawn continues running and encounters more Unown. Piplup uses Whirlpool to snap the Unown out of their confusion. Then Team Rocket show up falling down from the nearby stairs. Another group of Unown appear but they are stopped by Aipom's Double Hit, who then evolves into Ambipom. Then, she hits the Unown with Swift snapping them out of confusion. Brock and the others show up, and due to Unown's illusions each side sees each other as if they are walking on the ceiling. Another group of Unown appear but they are snapped out of confusion by Piplup's Bubble Beam, breaking the illusion. As the illusion lifts off, it is revealed that Dawn and Team Rocket are actually on the ceiling and subsequently they fall down on the floor. The other group all rush to catch the falling humans and Pokémon, with Brock using Happiny to help with her massive strength.
Suddenly the door to the outside opens and the group gets out. Brock wonders about the commotion inside the ruins and turns to Team Rocket for answers. However, the trio decide to make a run for it before they can get into any more trouble while promising revenge against Team Galactic. Ash looks up Ambipom on his Pokédex as the Long Tail Pokémon practices her moves. Dawn is confident that Ambipom can win her the Solaceon Contest, and Ash asks Kenny about their called-off battle. Kenny agrees to teach Turtwig Energy Ball, on the condition that Ash doesn't tell Dawn how scared he was.
- Ash and his friends arrive in Solaceon Town and meet Kenny again.
- Ash has another battle with Kenny, which gets interrupted.
- Dawn's Aipom learns Double Hit and later evolves into Ambipom.
- Kenny is revealed to have obtained a Breloom.
- Saturn steals a cube from the Solaceon Ruins.
- Kenny agrees to help Turtwig learn Energy Ball.
- For a list of all major events in the anime, please see the timeline of events.
TV episode debuts
- Pikachu (Ash's)
- Meowth (Team Rocket)
- Piplup (Dawn's)
- Wobbuffet (Jessie's)
- Turtwig (Ash's)
- Buneary (Dawn's)
- Pachirisu (Dawn's)
- Aipom (Dawn's; evolves)
- Ambipom (Dawn's; newly evolved; debut)
- Happiny (Brock's)
- Prinplup (Kenny's)
- Breloom (Kenny's)
- Bronzor (Saturn's)
- Unown (multiple)
- Professor Oak's Big Pokémon Encyclopedia: Spiritomb
- Pokémon senryū: ミカルゲよ じっとがまんの ごひゃくねん Mikaruge yo, jitto ga man no, go hyaku nen.
- Saturn is listed as おとこ ("Man") in the credits.
- The same Unown writing from Top-Down Training is shown again in this episode:
SUBETE NO INOCHI HA
BETSU NO INOCHI TO DEAI
NANIKA WO UMIDASU
- In the dub, Dawn reads it as When every life meets another life, something will be born.
- This is only the second appearance of the Unown species in the main series, the first being Address Unown!. Despite being created after the introduction of the new forms, however, "!" and "?" Unown do not appear in this episode.
- The three Plates Team Galactic used to obtain the cube from the Solaceon Ruins (Splash Plate, Iron Plate, and Draco Plate) correspond to the three types of Dialga and Palkia combined. However, the Splash Plate, associated with Palkia's Water type, was placed on the side of the pattern resembling Dialga's diamond and the Iron Plate, associated with Dialga's Steel type was placed on the side of the pattern resembling Palkia's pearl.
- Team Rocket does not blast off or recite their motto in this episode.
- This is the first time since the original series that a Pokédex entry for something else than a Pokémon is shown in the anime, in this case, the move Double Hit.
- In the original English dub airing, Unown was spelled "Unknown" in the title. This was corrected in future airings and releases.
- In the scene where Ash saves Ambipom, Ambipom's feet are colored a light tan, like an Aipom's. They should be purple.
- In the Finnish dub, in the scene where Kenny says "Dawn, no!", his English voice is heard alongside the Finnish voice.
- In the dub, after the landing from the fall, Ambipom's Japanese voice can be heard.
- In the dub, after Aipom finishes evolving, the first instance of Ambipom's regular cry is improperly low-pitched when it shouldn't be.
In other languages
|Czech||Cesta do neznáma|
|Danish||Rejsen mod det ukendte|
|Dutch||Reis naar de Unown!|
|European French||D'étranges Zarbi|
|German||Eine Reise - Icognito!|
|Korean||신수 유적의 안농! 제발 안녕!|
|Norwegian||Reisen til Unown!|
|Polish||Podróż w nieznane|
|Portuguese||Brazil||Viagem para o Desconhecido!|
|Portugal||Unown - Aventura Obscura!|
|Romanian||Călătorie spre Necunoscut|
|Russian||Путешествие в Аноун|
|Spanish||Latin America||¡Viaje a lo desconocido!|
|Spain||¡La confusión de los Unown!|
|Swedish||En resa mot det okända|
|This episode article is part of Project Anime, a Bulbapedia project that covers all aspects of the Pokémon anime.|