Check the Bulbagarden home page for up-to-date Pokémon news and discuss it on the forums or in the Bulbagarden Discord server.
|Rescuing the Unwilling!
Rescuing the Unwilling! (Japanese: 急げ！ルザミーネ救出大作戦！！ Hurry! The Great Lusamine Rescue Operation!!) is the 53rd episode of Pokémon the Series: Sun & Moon, and the 992nd episode of the Pokémon anime. It first aired in Japan on December 7, 2017, in the United Kingdom on April 11, 2018, in New Zealand on April 12, 2018, and in the United States on April 14, 2018.
Our heroes have made it through the Ultra Wormhole, but when they find the captured Lusamine, they’re shocked to find she wants nothing to do with them! With an Ultra Beast controlling her mind, it’s up to Lillie, Ash, and friends to rescue her. Their Pokémon spring into action—but so do Lusamine’s Pokémon, who are also under the Ultra Beast’s control. Lillie gathers her courage and reaches out to Clefable, recounting the fun they had together in years past. Her reassuring persistence pays off, and Clefable breaks free of the Ultra Beast’s control. Meanwhile, riding on Solgaleo’s back, Ash presses on to find Lusamine—and the Ultra Beast.
As Lillie narrates the events of the previous episode, the group exits the Ultra Wormhole and enters Ultra Deep Sea, a dark location filled with floating islands of jagged rocks. Just as the group lands, they find themselves surrounded by several Nihilego. Gladion explains the Ultra Beasts are UB01: Symbiont, the same ones responsible for his mother's kidnapping. Meanwhile, Professors Kukui and Burnet, still at the Altar of the Sunne, set up a temporary Ultra Wormhole monitoring station. One of the machines fires a location marker to aid Ash and his friends upon their return. Team Rocket watches the professors from their cliff-side view. They try to retreat, with Ash now missing, but Bewear hugs them tightly to immobilize them.
Back at Ultra Deep Sea, Gladion demands the group split up, though the idea concerns Lillie. Sophocles states an investigation is in order, before one of Nihilego's tentacles brushes against him. Ash's confidence only irritates Sophocles, though Ash explains that the group have their Pokémon. This spurs the group into calling out all of their Pokémon. Nebby roars, just as Lusamine appears and her eyes open, though she is trapped and bonded with a Nihilego. Lillie calls out and Rotom confirms Lusamine's identity with a facial recognition feature.
Solgaleo roars once more; this time, Lusamine demands the group stay away from her. Lillie runs towards her mother, and Ash and Gladion attempt to stop her. As a defense, Lusamine blocks the path with jagged rocks, but Ash manages to save Lillie from injury. Gladion's Umbreon uses Dark Pulse, which shatters the stones. Gladion theorizes that Nihilego may be draining his mother's energy, though he clarifies little is known of Ultra Beasts in general. Ash moves forward, though Kiawe notes that the group may be provoking Lusamine. She continues to retreat, exclaiming that she finally got to meet an Ultra Beast and will not give it up, leaving a rocky staircase for the group to follow. Mallow calls Lusamine's behavior childish; Gladion adds that Lusamine may consider the Ultra Beast a toy that she won't part with, and consequently considers the group as a threat.
The group finally catches up to Lusamine, and Lillie commands Snowy to use Powder Snow. Lusamine defends herself with her rock shield and then shouts out that she hates everyone. Lillie is initially taken aback by this, but Mallow offers support and Lillie concludes Lusamine must be illogical. Pikachu's Thunderbolt, Turtonator's Flamethrower, Marowak's Bonemerang, and Gladion's Lycanroc's Stone Edge all prove to be useless as well. Nebby then steps forward, glows, and jumps through the barrier, much to everyone's amazement. Lusamine summons her Salazzle, which is surrounded in an aura. Turtonator counters Salazzle's poison attack with a Flamethrower, which allows Lusamine to flee again. Salazzle uses another attack and evades Turtonator's Dragon Tail, though it is then hit by Marowak's Flare Blitz. Kiawe volunteers to stay behind to take care of Salazzle while the rest of the group continue on.
The group catches up to Lusamine once again, and she calls upon her Milotic, Mismagius, and Lilligant. A Thunderbolt and Hydro Pump are launched, though the group evades the attacks. Lana has Popplio use Bubble Beam, while Mallow calls for Magical Leaf, though Lilligant's Petal Dance blocks the attack. Mismagius uses another Thunderbolt, though it is absorbed by Togedemaru. Ash, Lillie, and Gladion continue following Lusamine, leaving the others and Rotom to confront Lusamine's diversions. Popplio's Bubble Beam hits Lilligant, and Steenee's Double Slap combats Milotic's Aqua Tail. Just as Mismagius laughs at the group's induced confusion because of Lilligant's Teeter Dance, Ash's Litten and Rowlet join the match. Lilligant's Sweet Scent instantly attracts Rowlet, much to everyone's frustration. Meanwhile, Kiawe's match against Salazzle ends after a combination between Turtonator's Inferno Overdrive alongside Marowak's Bonemerang.
Meanwhile, Gladion, Lillie, and Ash re-encounter Lusamine, and she sends out her Absol. Gladion remarks that it was a sparring partner to his Umbreon. Absol makes the first move, which collides Umbreon's Dark Pulse. Gladion then sends Nebby, Ash, and Lillie on their way. With the battle still raging, Absol fires an Ice Beam, which freezes Silvally on the spot, followed by Mean Look, which is used on Umbreon and Lycanroc.
Lusamine is again confronted by Ash and Lillie; she continues to express her frustration towards them, and calls upon Clefable. Lillie tells Ash that she will battle against Clefable, and refers to it as her best friend. After Lycanroc intercepts Clefable's Moonblast, Ash leaves it with Lillie and rides on Nebby towards Lusamine. Clefable attacks with Dazzling Gleam, though Lycanroc again blocks the attack. Both Snowy's Powder Snow and Lycanroc's Rock Throw hit their target, pushing Clefable back. Lillie grabs a Poké Doll from her bag, then calmly and defiantly approaches Clefable. She expresses her hope that Clefable will stop fighting when it reminisces about their past together. However, Clefable begins to launch another Dazzling Gleam. Lillie gestures to Lycanroc and Snowy to stay back as she embraces Clefable and is engulfed in the attack's light. Her persistence pays off, and Clefable returns to its usual state and smiles. Meanwhile, Ash and Pikachu continue to pursue Lusamine aboard Nebby.
Outside the Ultra Wormhole, Burnet gets Kukui to send out Braviary. She heals it with a Potion, places a band-aid on its talon, and thanks its efforts against Hakamo-o.
- Ash, his classmates, and Gladion arrive in Ultra Deep Sea and find Lusamine there, only to discover she has fused with Nihilego.
- Kiawe's Marowak is revealed to know Bonemerang.
- Ash and his friends battle Lusamine.
- Lusamine is revealed to own a Salazzle, a Milotic, a Mismagius, and an Absol.
- Kiawe splits from the group to battle Lusamine's Salazzle and wins.
- Lana, Mallow, and Sophocles, along with Rowlet and Litten, split from the group to battle Lusamine's Milotic, Lilligant, and Mismagius.
- Gladion splits from the group to battle Lusamine's Absol.
- Lillie, along with Lycanroc, split from the group to battle Lusamine's Clefable and free her from Nihilego's control.
- For a list of all major events in the anime, please see the timeline.
- Professor Kukui
- Professor Burnet
Who's That Pokémon?: Salazzle (US and international), Nihilego (Japan)
- Pikachu (Ash's)
- Meowth (Team Rocket)
- Wobbuffet (Jessie's)
- Rotom (Rotom Pokédex)
- Rowlet (Ash's)
- Lycanroc (Ash's; Dusk Form)
- Litten (Ash's)
- Popplio (Lana's)
- Turtonator (Kiawe's)
- Marowak (Kiawe's; Alolan Form)
- Vulpix (Lillie's; Alolan Form; Snowy)
- Togedemaru (Sophocles's)
- Charjabug (Sophocles's)
- Steenee (Mallow's)
- Braviary (Professor Kukui's; Poké Problem segment)
- Cleffa (Lusamine's; flashback)
- Clefairy (Lusamine's; flashback)
- Clefable (Lusamine's)
- Lilligant (Lusamine's)
- Salazzle (Lusamine's; debut)
- Milotic (Lusamine's)
- Mismagius (Lusamine's)
- Absol (Lusamine's)
- Umbreon (Gladion's)
- Lycanroc (Gladion's; Midnight Form)
- Silvally (Gladion's)
- Bewear (anime)
- Solgaleo (Nebby)
- Nihilego (anime; fused with Lusamine)
- Nihilego (multiple)
- Poké Problem: Ash and the others enter the Ultra Beasts' world in today's episode. Who's the first to battle there?
- During the title card sequence, a more serious theme, based on There's Trouble!, is used instead of the normal title card jingle.
- Lillie and Lusamine's Clefable narrate the preview for the next episode.
- This is the first episode in which Mallow's Steenee, Sophocles's Togedemaru, and Lana's Popplio's Poké Balls are seen in the anime.
- This episode reveals that Gladion keeps his Umbreon in a Heal Ball, which is a reference to how he first found it as an injured Eevee.
- This also makes Gladion's Umbreon the first Pokémon in the anime to be housed in a Heal Ball.
- Ash, Lana, Kiawe, Lillie, Sophocles, Mallow, and Gladion all read the Who's That Pokémon? segment in the English dub.
- This episode marks the first appearance of a Mismagius in the anime since Mystery on a Deserted Island!, exactly 200 episodes ago.
- The Japanese text depicting Inferno Overdrive's name is edited out in the dub.
In other languages
|Czech||Záchrana neochotné oběti!|
|Danish||En redningsaktion for den som ikke vil reddes!|
|Dutch||De onwillige redden!|
|European French||Un sauvetage indésirable !|
|German||Rettung der Unwilligen!|
|Italian||Un aiuto indesiderato!|
|Korean||서둘러라! 루자미네 구출 대작전!!|
|Norwegian||Å redde den som ikke vil reddes!|
|Portuguese||Brazil||Resgatando a teimosa!|
Resgatando a teimosa! Ou Um resgate indesejável! *
|Portugal||Resgatar os relutantes!|
|Spanish||Latin America||¡Un rescate no deseado!|
|Spain||¡Rescatando a los controlados!|
|Swedish||Viljan Att Rädda|
|Turkish||Gönülsüz Birini Kurtarmak!|
|This episode article is part of Project Anime, a Bulbapedia project that covers all aspects of the Pokémon anime.|
- Pokémon the Series: Sun & Moon episodes
- Episodes written by Atsuhiro Tomioka
- Episodes storyboarded by Yūji Asada
- Episodes directed by Junya Koshiba
- Episodes animated by Noriko Itō
- Episodes animated by Taki Yatagi
- Episodes in which a Legendary Pokémon appears
- Episodes in which an Ultra Beast appears
- Episodes focusing on Lillie
- Episodes focusing on Gladion
- Episodes which aired in the United Kingdom before the United States
- Episodes which aired in New Zealand before the United States