From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
| Beauty and the Breeder
Goodbye Rokon! Pokémon Beauty Contest!!
|| October 19, 2000
| United States
|| October 6, 2001
|| Team Ota
|| 冨岡淳広 Atsuhiro Tomioka
|| 藤本義孝 Yoshitaka Fujimoto
| Assistant director
|| 鈴木敏明 Toshiaki Suzuki
| Animation director
|| 志村泉 Izumi Shimura
| Additional credits
Beauty and the Breeder (Japanese: さよならロコン！ポケモンビューティーコンテスト！！ Goodbye Rokon! Pokémon Beauty Contest!!) is the 169th episode of the Pokémon anime. It was first broadcast in Japan on October 19, 2000 and in the United States on October 6, 2001.
Brock checks his e-mail at a local Pokémon Center and finds Suzy, the Pokémon breeder who gave Brock Vulpix, has contacted him regarding a Pokémon beauty contest. She is looking for a Pokémon to enter the contest with and Brock agrees to return her Vulpix. When they meet in the contest city of Bonitaville, Suzy suggests they enter the contest together. However, before the contest can commence, Team Rocket seize all the Pokémon! Will our heroes be able to track Team Rocket and return the bevy of Pokémon beauties?
Ash and his friends are resting at a Pokémon Center with Brock checking his email. He finds an email from Suzie who is taking part in the Pokémon Beauty Contest in Bonitaville. Brock, Ash, and Misty go there with Brock grooming Vulpix to be entered in the contest. However, Team Rocket are there as well planning to win the contest and become famous.
While waiting, Vulpix takes off and leads the group to Suzie and Brock returns Vulpix to her. Suzie suggests she and Brock enter as partners which Brock happily agrees to. Ash looks for Misty who wandered off and found a man named Zane who is an old friend and rival of Suzie. Zane has differing opinions on what makes a Pokémon beautiful. Suzie believes that a Pokémon's beauty comes from the inside while Zane believes it is their outer appearance that matters. Brock and Suzie enter the contest together with Vulpix while Zane enters with his Ninetales.
Jessie and James dress up Meowth to enter the contest which they enter by posing as a pair of cutting edge Pokémon Stylists. They kidnap the first entry and take his place in the contest with an extravagant display of groomed and painted Pokémon while reciting a variation of their motto. Victreebel, Weezing, Arbok, Wobbuffet, and Meowth impress the crowd who eats it up until Officer Jenny is brought to the stage by the real first entrant. She throws them out because James runs his mouth. The contest continues as normal until Meowth tries his idea.
Jessie and James appear in the contestant waiting area dressed as doctors and tell everyone that the contest rules have changed and that every Pokémon needs an examination. All the Pokémon are corralled into a room and subsequently into a container being lifted by the Rocket balloon. The contestants get worried and a group led by Zane starts to bang on the door demanding to see their Pokémon. Brock sends out his Geodude and has it break down the door. Everybody rushes out to see Team Rocket trying to escape with their Pokémon.
Ash sends out Noctowl to pop Team Rocket's balloon and they fall to the ground. Pikachu uses Thunderbolt to break the lock off the container and all of the Pokémon inside rush out back to their Trainers. Jessie sends out her Arbok and James sends out his Victreebel who uses Razor Leaf. As Ash tells Pikachu to get ready, Suzie's Vulpix and Zane's Ninetales use Flamethrower on Victreebel, burning the leaves and protecting Pikachu. Then both Vulpix and Ninetales use Fire Spin, sending Team Rocket blasting off again. After Team Rocket blast off, Misty notices Vulpix and Ninetales while Brock realizes that Zane is a better match for Suzie.
The competition continues as normal with our heroes watching backstage. Zane admits it is important for Pokémon to look beautiful on the inside and outside. Zane proposes opening a Pokémon beauty salon together which everyone supports, including Brock, who ends his infatuation with Suzie. Brock and Suzie then bring out Vulpix for the contest, but the overall winner is left unknown.
- For a list of all major events in the anime, please see the timeline of events.
Who's That Pokémon?: Quagsire (US and international), Vulpix (Japan)
- Brock states that he always knew Vulpix wasn't his and that he would have to return it one day, this episode being the moment.
- This episode features a contest for Pokémon Breeders. It is very different from those for Pokémon Coordinators introduced later on.
- Jessie's Advanced Generation Contest costume is reminiscent of the one seen in this episode.
- In this episode, Jessie and James disguise themselves as Pokémon Stylists, an anime-exclusive Trainer class which had not yet been introduced.
- The Exeggutor's appearance may be a reference to Takeshi's Paradise, where two identical-looking Exeggutor dance with Brock.
- The white tuxedo Brock wears in this episode makes another appearance in The Heartbreak of Brock.
- This episode's English title is the second to reference the movie, Beauty and the Beast. The first was Beauty and the Beach.
- In this episode, Team Rocket uses a variation of their motto.
- Jessie and the announcer for the contest break the fourth wall in this episode, with the latter saying that the audience will only find out who wins the contest "if you stay right where you are." Ironically, the TV audience never finds out who the winner is.
- This episode is featured on the Crash of the Dairy volume of the High Voltage Collection series, a series of select Johto League Champions episodes on VHS.
- There seems to be a Tracey lookalike during Team Rocket's second takeover.
- Brock and Suzie's Vulpix is entry number 37 in the contest just as Vulpix is number 37 in the National Pokédex.
- Suzie's original English voice actress, Leah Applebaum, was replaced by Megan Hollingshead for this episode.
- Meowth's make-up looks like a combination of David Bowie's iconic lightning bolt makeup and Paul Stanley's "The Starchild" makeup.
- One of the beauty coordinators bears a striking resemblance to Tracey.
- The Pokémon Team Rocket steal are not dressed up, despite all the Pokémon entered (besides Vulpix and Ninetales) being stylized for the contest.
- Near the end of the episode, one contestant's Charizard has an orange belly.
- When Zane tells Brock he was jealous when he met Suzie, he refers to Suzie as a "he".
- In the Italian dub, Suzie and Zane command their Vulpix and Ninetales to use Fire Blast together instead of Flamethrower against Team Rocket. In the next scene, Ash comments that it was a great Fire Spin.
Charizard's miscolored belly
- The original airing of this episode on Hungama TV in India started the episode directly from the title card, skipping the part of the episode that comes before it.
In other languages