|Ya See We Want An Evolution!
Ya See We Want An Evolution! (Japanese: 最強のコイキングと最も美しいヒンバス！ The Strongest Koiking and the Most Beautiful Hinbass!) is the 21st episode of Pokémon the Series: Diamond and Pearl, and the 487th episode of the Pokémon anime. It first aired in Japan on March 1, 2007 and in the United States on July 10, 2007.
As Team Rocket trudges through Sinnoh, they run into the Magikarp Salesman who's tricked them so many times before. This time, he cons them into buying an Evolution machine that will evolve a Pokémon at any time—or so he says. Elsewhere, Ash and his friends hear about the B-Button League, a group of Coordinators who never evolve their Pokémon. The rumors say they have a beautiful Feebas and a powerful Magikarp, so Ash and his friends go to check it out.
The B-Button League is headed by a girl named Haley, and she and her sister Oralie do indeed have a very fine Feebas and Magikarp. Team Rocket sneaks in to watch Dawn and Ash test their Pokémon against Oralie's Magikarp; not only does Magikarp defeat Piplup, it's strong enough to give Pikachu a run for its money! Team Rocket is so impressed, they grab Magikarp and Feebas on the spot, then take Pikachu too when it tries to stop them.
Now Team Rocket prepares to use their new machine to evolve all three Pokémon, much to our heroes' dismay. But the Evolution machine doesn't work at all! However, Team Rocket has a plan B: their new machine can also transform into a tough-looking robot. Too bad for them that the robot quickly falls apart, being just another sales scam. Oralie and Haley have Feebas and Magikarp help Pikachu defeat Team Rocket, and then our heroes can happily continue on their way to Floaroma Town!
An exhausted Team Rocket hikes along a route. A Magikarp lands in James's hands as they run into a man advertising a Magikarp. Team Rocket recognizes him as the same salesman that conned them many times before, James promptly tossing the Magikarp in his face. They try to get their money back, but the salesman manages to change the subject, discussing an evolution-inducing machine. He tells them about a company that developed the prototype machine, but the company went bankrupt. The workers developed the technology more so the salesman can get one. Team Rocket decides to take the plans for building the machine. Before he runs off, the salesman warns them that after they build it, they need to wait a week before using the machine.
Meanwhile, Ash and his friends return to Jubilife City in order to reach Floaroma Town. While walking, a TV crew from the Jubilife Sinnoh Today Show asks Ash if he would evolve his Pikachu, which his response is not without checking with Pikachu. They believe he is with the B-Button League. When Dawn asks about the club, the reporter explains that they are a group of Coordinators in Jubilife that compete without evolving their Pokémon and that the group has a very powerful Magikarp and Feebas. Ash and his friends head to the location and meet the leader Haley and her sister Oralie. Brock's usual attraction is stopped by Croagunk's jab.
Inside, they approach a pool as Haley activates a remote, raising the pool and showing their Magikarp and Feebas. While Ash and Dawn check their Pokédexes, Haley and Oralie discuss their beliefs that Pokémon can be strong without evolving, desiring to make their Magikarp and Feebas as strong as possible, similar to Ash and Pikachu. Ash asks for a battle against Magikarp, but Dawn manages to go first, wanting to test Piplup's battle skill in water. A disguised Team Rocket shows up as a fake C-Button League. They put up a guise of wanting to research the group.
Piplup jumps into the pool as Oralie's Magikarp prepares to duel. Piplup uses Peck but Magikarp dodges underwater. Both swim strong underwater, but Magikarp easily dodges Piplup's attack and jumps out of the water. Piplup fires Bubble Beam to the surface as Magikarp swats it away and dives down, tackling Piplup and slamming it around the pool walls before sending it into the ceiling. It lands in the water and floats to the surface, knocked out. Though stunned at how powerful Magikarp is, Ash still wants to take his chance against Magikarp with Pikachu.
Pikachu fires Thunderbolt, but Magikarp jumps into the air and spins to dodge. It comes down with Tackle, and although Pikachu tries to dodge, Magikarp still hits, slamming Pikachu into the edge of the pool. Pikachu clings onto the edge before retaliating with Quick Attack. Magikarp meets it head on with Tackle, but Pikachu switches to Iron Tail. Both attacks hit and create an explosion, tossing both Pokémon into the pool. Pikachu gets back onto the island and Magikarp resurfaces, both exhausted.
After the battle, Haley and Oralie offer Ash and his friends lunch. As they turn to offer the C-Button League, they spot the league's members stealing Magikarp and Feebas. Team Rocket removes their disguises and recites their motto. As Team Rocket flees, the group follows. Brock vows to help, but Croagunk jabs him cold, which causes Dawn to scold the Pokémon for behaving rashly. The group follows Team Rocket's balloon outside as Ash sends Staravia to pursue. They wind up outside the city as Staravia leads the group to a small cabin along a river.
Inside, they find Team Rocket with their evolution-inducing machine, preparing to put Magikarp inside. Haley and Oralie protest the evolution, which would undo their training efforts. Ash has Pikachu attempt Thunderbolt, but Team Rocket captures Pikachu in a capsule, wanting to evolve Pikachu as well. They drop a cage on top of Ash and his friends, pinning them as they activate the machine. They try to evolve Magikarp into Gyarados, but Magikarp pops out unchanged. They try the process again, but it also fails. Team Rocket switches gears and tries to evolve Pikachu into Raichu, but it also fails. Meowth realizes that the salesman's warning about waiting a week was accurate because otherwise the machine would fail.
While Team Rocket argues, Ash orders Pikachu to use Iron Tail to break the cage. Meowth activates a switch to turn the machine into a mecha, destroying the cabin and unveiling the mecha. However, the machine implodes into dust, as it needs to execute a successful evolution. Haley and Oralie decide to exact retribution with Magikarp's Tackle and Feebas's Ice Beam, Pikachu finishing with Thunderbolt to blast Team Rocket off. Afterward, Ash and his friends return to the city and head off to Floaroma Town.
- For a list of all major events in the anime, please see the history page.
- Magikarp salesman
- Female reporter
- Pokémon Professor
- IT employee
- Pikachu (Ash's)
- Meowth (Team Rocket)
- Piplup (Dawn's)
- Staravia (Ash's)
- Croagunk (Brock's)
- Magikarp (Magikarp salesman's)
- Magikarp (Oralie's)
- Feebas (Haley's)
- Gyarados (fantasy)
- Professor Oak's Big Pokémon Encyclopedia: Dawn's Pachirisu
- Pokémon senryū: パチリスが おめめさめたよ パッチリす Pachirisu ga / Omemesameta yo / Patchiri su
- The title card is read by Jessie, James, and Meowth, and, in the dub, sung to the tune of The Beatles' Revolution (as well as the slower version of the song, Revolution 1), which the episode title references. Jessie sings the title solo in the European Portuguese dub.
- Music from Gotta Dance! and the titular theme from Celebi: The Voice of the Forest is used as background music.
- The remote control for the evolution machine looks similar to a Wii Remote and even has a wrist strap. Also, when Meowth presses the button on the remote to transform the machine into the robot, just after the click, he says "whee", sounding like "Wii".
- Team Rocket trying to use a machine that induces evolution, and the fact they try to use it on a Magikarp to evolve it into a Gyarados, could be a reference to the Pokémon Gold and Silver games, where Team Rocket used a machine at Lake of Rage to try to force Magikarp to evolve into Gyarados.
- This episode is also similar to Talkin' 'Bout an Evolution, where an evolution inducing machine was also used. The title of this episode is also similar to that of said previous episode.
- Team Rocket tries to evolve Pikachu in this episode, but they say they don't want him to evolve 53 episodes after.
- Strangely, this episode was not included in the Japanese rental DVDs.
- As the Magikarp salesman is talking about the years of top-secret research, a hexagon-shaped building is shown. This is a possible reference to the Pentagon, a United States government building.
- Jessie's Wobbuffet doesn't appear in this episode.
- The name of the B-Button League refers to the fact that in the core series, the B button is used to stop evolution.
- In Japan, this episode was included as a bonus feature on the DVD release of Pikachu's Island Adventure.
- Despite having debuted in Pokémon - I Choose You!, 486 episodes earlier, this is the first time that Magikarp has received a Pokédex entry in the anime.
- When Team Rocket is waving goodbye to the Magikarp salesman, James' black shirt is white.
- When Magikarp uses Tackle on Piplup, Piplup's crown above its beak is white.
- Magikarp's bottom fin is also white instead of yellow.
- After Dawn lets Piplup out of his Poké Ball, Team Rocket, dressed up as the C-Button League, appears and Piplup disappears. It then reappears in the next scene.
- Music from Pikachu's Vacation is used as background music in the dub.
- In the English dub, James mentions owning "science kits" as a child. In the Japanese version, he mentions subscribing to an educational magazine called 実験と自習 Experimentation and Self-Study, a parody of the real-life magazine 科学と学習 Science and Education.
- In the English dub, the reporters ask Ash if he used anything mechanical to evolve his Pikachu. In the original Japanese version, they ask if Pikachu evolved from Pichu.
- In the English dub, the robot doesn't say anything when its head falls to the ground. In the Japanese version, it can be heard screaming 「いやーん！」("Nooo!").
In other languages
|Naším cílem je evoluce
|Nu er det tid til Evolution
Nu er det tid til Evulotio-oon* *
|Het is tijd voor een evolutie!
|Nyt on aika evoluution!
|כן, אנחנו רוצים התפתחות
|La macchina per l'evoluzione & Allenatrici convinte
|가장 강한 잉어킹과 가장 예쁜 빈티나
|A my żądamy ewolucji!
|Queremos uma Evolução!
|Nós Queremos Evolução!
|Noi Chiar Vrem o Evoluție
|Понимаешь нам нужна эволиция
|¡Queremos la evolución!
|Adelante con esa evolución
|Man vill liksom ha lite evolution här
|This episode article is part of Project Anime, a Bulbapedia project that covers all aspects of the Pokémon anime.