From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
| A Tyrogue Full of Trouble
Balkie and the Karate King Nobuhiko!
|| January 24, 2002
| United States
|| February 1, 2003
|| Team Ota
|| 藤田伸三 Shinzō Fujita
|| 志水淳児 Junji Shimizu
| Assistant director
|| 石倉健一 Ken'ichi Ishikura
| Animation director
|| 斎藤和也 Kazuya Saitō
| Additional credits
A Tyrogue Full of Trouble (Japanese: バルキーとからておうノブヒコ！ Balkie and the Karate King Nobuhiko!) is the 233rd episode of the Pokémon anime. It was first broadcast in Japan on January 24, 2002 and in the United States on February 1, 2003.
Ash and friends chance into a Tyrogue, nearly falling victim to a ploy it lays out in an attempt to make off with all of their Pokémon food. Just as they tie things up with the Tyrogue, they learn that it is in fact not wild, but owned by a devoted student of Chuck, the Cianwood Gym leader. This student, who prides himself for his martial arts ability, explains that he is now taking his Tyrogue to an exhaustive tournament in which Fighting type Pokémon vie for the title. Meanwhile, though, he is having a terrible time disciplining his mischievous Pokémon. As if to accent this complaint, an angry local arrives, exclaiming that Tyrogue has wrought havoc in town for the last time.
As Ash and his friends pass through Mt. Mortar, just outside is a Tyrogue with a handkerchief around his neck that's apparently worn out. Ash checks his Pokédex. Brock tries to give him some food but the Tyrogue doesn't do much. Just as Brock puts the food away, the Tyrogue swipes three containers of food and runs off with it. The group starts to chase after him but the Tyrogue is soon accompanied by a Mankey and Primeape. The Tyrogue tosses the food to them and they all climb up a cliff. On the way however, the Tyrogue tripped a boulder which comes straight down towards the group! Just seconds away from getting squashed, a man followed by a Hitmonchan and Hitmonlee destroy the boulder. The group wonders what happened and is greeted by the man who introduces himself as Kiyo. He says that the Tyrogue there has been causing a lot of ruckus in the area. Not even Officer Jenny herself can handle this. Team Rocket, who has been spying on them, comes up with the idea of snatching this Tyrogue to join Team Rocket.
Later at Kiyo's place, he explains that he's trying to find and beat that Tyrogue so he knows he's up for the P1 Grand Prix. So far, it hasn't been very successful. Then he goes on to the time he found the Tyrogue all tired and tried to help him, but the Tyrogue ended up attacking him for a getaway. Ever since, not only does he want to challenge Tyrogue, but help him out at the same time.
Somewhere else in the area, Tyrogue and his group find a fruit tree and decide to get some fruit from it. The Mankey and Primeape kick the trunk and three fruits fall down. When the Tyrogue picks one up, a Hoppip, Skiploom and a Sandshrew stand there, wanting a fruit. So Tyrogue gives the three Pokémon the fruit with no trouble. Then Team Rocket comes in and does the nice asking of if Tyrogue would like to join. Jessie comes towards the Sandshrew and swipes the fruit, which makes the Tyrogue angry, and gives Jessie a beating before sending them off into the sky. The group just leaves the three Pokémon afterwards.
Out in the open road, Kiyo wants to prove himself to the Tyrogue to a battle. He calls the Tyrogue to come out while Ash and the others remain on watch to see if Tyrogue will come. Soon Tyrogue and his group come by and Kiyo challenges him to a match, the Tyrogue accepts readily. Kiyo sends out Hitmonchan up first for the fight. The Hitmonchan starts the fight by throwing a few Comet Punches to the Tyrogue whom dodges easily. Seeing that the punches don't work, Kiyo tells the Hitmonchan to try a Mach Punch. The Hitmonchan does so but the Tyrogue jumps up in front of a rock and headbutts the Hitmonchan, knocking it out in one hit! Kiyo recalls Hitmonchan and tries out Hitmonlee. Hitmonlee goes off with a Rolling Kick but the Tyrogue merely leans back to dodge it! After recovering from the dodge, the Tyrogue does a Double Team and confuses the Hitmonlee. Kiyo now finds this a situation that's impossible to get out of. Finally the Tyrogue gives the Hitmonlee a punch taking that Pokémon down in one shot as well.
Now the Tyrogue is expect something else, but all of sudden gets tied up from above, by Team Rocket! Ash starts to chase after them then Kiyo, who runs up a hill and jumps onto the balloon. Team Rocket wonders what was the sudden movement and notices nothing. Kiyo gives the balloon a punch, making a hole and then goes down to where Tyrogue is hanging from. The balloon soon crashes but Kiyo and Tyrogue drop safely to the ground below. A boulder just above them falls down and just in the nick of time, Kiyo stops it. He tells the Tyrogue to get out of the way, but Team Rocket comes by and prevents Tyrogue from doing so. Before Team Rocket can do anything, the group catches up and Brock sends out Onix. First Onix takes care of the boulder by pushing towards Team Rocket. Jessie and James send out Arbok and Weezing. Arbok does Poison Sting which Onix blocks easily, Weezing spitting out a Sludge but Pikachu takes care of that with a Thunderbolt. Onix then Tackles the Pokémon back to Team Rocket and they get blasted off again.
Back at Kiyo's pad, Kiyo challenges Tyrogue to a duel, just him and Tyrogue. Tyrogue accepts and they begin. Tyrogue attempts to go for a punch but Kiyo easily blocks it. With that Tyrogue tries the Double Team trick but Kiyo simply sits down and waits for the initiative. As soon as Tyrogue comes out with the sucker punch, Kiyo easily blocks that too, sending Tyrogue around. Tyrogue now is fed up and tries a Jump Kick but Kiyo grabs and tosses him to the other side. Finally Tyrogue tries to deliver yet another blow, Kiyo easily makes a counterattack and punches the Tyrogue to the pond nearby, finishing him off and the handkerchief off. Ash and the others as well as Tyrogue's group are stunned. Kiyo runs up to the Tyrogue and picks him up, bringing him back to the land. He ties his armband around Tyrogue's neck like his other handkerchief. Kiyo asks Tyrogue if he would like to join up with his other crew and compete in the P-1. Tyrogue accepts the offer and his friends decide to join up with him.
The group says their goodbyes and wishes Kiyo luck in the P-1 as they head off to Mahogany Town.
- For a list of all major events in the anime, please see the timeline of events.
Who's That Pokémon?: Spinarak (US and international), Tyrogue (Kiyo's) (Japan)
- This episode was initially going to be called Fit to be Tyrogued. That title is still used on Pokémon.com's episode guide.
- In this episode, Team Rocket uses a variation of their motto.
- After this episode, Tyrogue didn't make an anime appearance until May, We Harley Drew'd Ya!.
- Team Rocket breaks the fourth wall in this episode.
- Ash and friends seemed to not know what the P1 Grand Prix was, despite Ash previously winning the P1 Grand Prix with his Primeape.
The R overlapping Jessie's sleeve
- The Pokédex incorrectly identifies Tyrogue as the evolved form of Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan, when it should have said pre-evolved form.
- The Pokédex entry also did not mention Hitmontop, despite being one of Tyrogue's evolutions along with Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan.
- Bayleef changes to a smaller size after Kiyo destroys the boulder falling near Ash, Misty and Brock.
- Kiyo instructs his Hitmonchan to use "Punch Attack", a move that doesn't exist. He, however, had been instructing him to perform a generic punch on Tyrogue.
- Hitmonchan's eye color changed as he was battling Tyrogue. At first they were black, then blue, then blue and black.
- When Brock throws his Poké Ball and it spins, the white button on it is missing; along with the white ring.
- In one scene, Brock's Onix's "stomach" is colored the same shade of brown as a boulder Kiyo was holding up.
- In another scene as Mankey, Tyrogue, and Primeape are walking away from the viewer, Mankey's tail is missing.
- After Jessie and James send out their Pokémon, a part of the R on James's shirt is overlapping Jessie's sleeve, when it should be behind it.
- As Arbok uses its Poison Sting attack part of its body is missing in the bottom left corner. This is possibly a failure to remove a portion of the animation for the scene change from the previous scene.
- When Ash runs after Tyrogue after he stole the Pokémon food, his shoes are white.
- In the end as we see Ash, Misty and Brock walking, a glitch happens when the camera moves past Brock.
- In the Brazilian dub, Hitmonchan is mistakenly called "Hitmonchuck".
- Also on the Brazilian dub, when Mankey and Primeape appear for the first time, Misty called them both Mankey.
In other languages