From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
| Misty Meets Her Match
Yuzu Gym! Type Battle 3 VS 3!!
|| July 1, 1999
| United States
|| September 9, 2000
|| Team Ota
|| 園田英樹 Hideki Sonoda
|| 藤本義孝 Yoshitaka Fujimoto
| Assistant director
|| 栗本宏志 Hiroshi Kurimoto
| Animation director
|| 梶浦紳一郎 Shin'ichirō Kajiura
| Additional credits
Misty Meets Her Match (Japanese: ユズジム！タイプバトル３ＶＳ３！！ Yuzu Gym! Type Battle 3 VS 3!!) is the 103rd episode of the Pokémon anime. It was first broadcast in Japan on July 1, 1999 and in the United States on September 9, 2000.
While on a ferry bound for Trovita Island, our heroes come across a young girl and her Seel drowning in a whirlpool. While Misty and her Staryu jump in the water and save them both, the young girl's brother watches the rescue through his binoculars and falls in love with Misty. It turns out that the brother also happens to be the Trovita Island Gym Leader that Ash is determined to beat! Before the battle can begin, Ash must pass the Gym Leader's "attack test" without letting his jealousy toward Misty's admirer get in the way!
Now aboard a ferry from Trovitopolis, Ash and his friends find that Trovita Island is surrounded by whirlpools and huge spiked rocks. Pikachu spots a little girl and a Seel caught in the strong current, crying for help. Ash and Misty send out Lapras and Staryu, respectively, before Misty swims down to rescue the girl. As the group works together to bring the girl over to the island, a young man observes and is impressed by Misty's actions.
While riding Lapras the rest of the way to Trovita Island, Ash and Misty ask the girl what she was doing out on the current. The girl, who introduces herself as Mahri, says that she and her Seel were playing when the current sucked them in. As Lapras and the ship both arrive, the young man, who later introduces himself as Rudy, arrives to embrace Mahri, who is revealed to be his sister, and thank Misty for rescuing her by offering flowers. Rudy hands Togepi to Ash, and then dances with Misty. He compliments her and asks if she could train the other Trainers at his Gym, leaving the group awestruck. When Ash challenges Rudy, he tells him that he needs to pass a small attack test first.
The group heads off to Rudy's speedboat, where Ash must knock down all of the targets. Ash is successful with Pikachu on the first target, but Rudy is too preoccupied with looking at Misty. Ash sends out Charizard next, but it shoots a Flamethrower that burns Misty. He quickly returns it, apologizes to Misty, and continues with Squirtle and Bulbasaur. He eventually passes the test. As night falls, Rudy schedules the Gym battle for tomorrow, and invites Misty to join him and Mahri for dinner, leaving Ash, Pikachu, and Tracey alone. Ash calls Professor Oak on the telephone, and Oak wishes Ash luck in his match with Rudy. Tracey then butts in and shows Oak his latest Pokémon sketches, while Ash and Pikachu sit down to eat their dinner.
Meanwhile, Rudy, Mahri, and Misty finish an exquisite dinner. They then head down to the Gym to see Rudy's Pokémon working out by dancing to music as a way of improving their skills. Rudy and Misty get out on the dance floor, shortly followed by Mahri and Togepi. Rudy asks Misty if she would stay with him and Mahri forever. She stops dancing to think about it, while Rudy tells her to make her decision after the match tomorrow.
The next morning, Ash and Rudy prepare to battle each other on top of one of the island's huge spikes. The spectators, including Misty, Togepi, Tracey, and Mahri, watch from a hot-air balloon, while one of Rudy's friends provides commentary while riding a Pidgeot. As the match begins, Ash sends out Pikachu, and Rudy uses Electabuzz. Pikachu tries to take down Electabuzz with Thunderbolt and Quick Attack, but Electabuzz defeats Pikachu with Thunder Punch, giving the first victory to Rudy.
For the next round, Ash sends out Bulbasaur, while Rudy sends out Exeggutor. Exeggutor easily avoids Bulbasaur's Razor Leaf by dancing around to avoid the leaves, then knocks Bulbasaur down with an Egg Bomb. However, Ash quickly orders Bulbasaur to use Sleep Powder, which puts Exeggutor to sleep, but also causes it to fall off the cliff. Bulbasaur immediately manages to rescue Exeggutor with its vines.
For the third and final round, Ash sends out Squirtle, and Rudy sends out Starmie before dedicating the final victory to Misty. Squirtle and Starmie both attack each other with Water Guns, and Rudy quickly plays some music, causing Starmie to spin so much, it uses Thunderbolt to knock Squirtle into submission, leaving Ash horrified. After thinking over Rudy's question, Misty yells at Ash to win since he can release Squirtle's hidden power. This causes Rudy to lose his concentration. Ash orders Squirtle to fight back; it escapes the Thunderbolt with another Water Gun, Withdraws inside its shell as it is about to fall off the cliff, and then learns Hydro Pump, releasing it from its shell to fly back onto the battlefield. Squirtle then uses its new attack and Skull Bash to defeat Starmie, giving the final victory to Ash.
As the sun sets, Ash receives his Spike Shell Badge from Rudy, who also offers Misty more flowers. Afterwards, the group boards Lapras and departs.
Ash holding the Spike Shell Badge
- For a list of all major events in the anime, please see the timeline of events.
Who's That Pokémon?: Scyther (US and international), Seel (Japan)
Tracey's sketch of Elekid
- Professor Oak's Pokémon Lecture: The Power of One. Professor Oak talks a little about the movie. He introduces Lawrence III, and then talks about the tablet containing the legend. However, he says he cannot read the tablet, and he then tells viewers to watch the movie.
- The mystery Pokémon in Tracey's sketch that he was showing to Oak is Elekid. Tracey asks if it could be a new Pokémon and Oak laughingly disagrees. The short Pikachu's Rescue Adventure, featuring the anime debut of Elekid, aired weeks later in Japan, but aired three months before in the United States. Rudy uses an Electabuzz during his battle against Ash. However, it was hinted in the previous episode's Oak lecture that Oak might have known about its existence, since he referred to it in the lecture about Pikachu's Rescue Adventure.
- The song used by Rudy to train his Pokémon is Pokémon (Dance Mix) (English dub only). The same song is also played at the background of Starmie and Squirtle's battle.
- Additionally, the music to which Rudy and Misty dance when they first meet is a rendition of the Surf theme from the Generation I handheld games.
- The book The Four-Star Challenge is based on this episode.
- The boat Ash, Misty, and Tracey arrive on at the start of the episode is marked PM-103, a reference to the original episode number.
- The official blurb for this episode currently on Pokémon.com lists the blurb for the previous episode. However, previous versions of the site prior to the 2013 overhaul listed the correct blurb.
- When Ash is speaking to Mahri on Lapras after rescuing her, the lower jaw of Lapras is blue instead of cream.
- When Tracey yells at Ash for choosing Charizard, Tracey is tanner than usual. He also looks this way after Team Rocket blasts off.
- Rudy says that Ash must knock down all the targets during the attack test in order to battle him, but even though Charizard fails to hit a target, Ash still passes the test.
- This may have been because Rudy was paying more attention to Misty than to Ash's test.
- When Rudy's Starmie is knocked out, the point that droops down to symbolize its loss of power is colored gold like its middle part rather than purple.
- After Meowth sneezes and knocks Team Rocket's submarine into the water, they start spinning around and Jessie's boot isn't colored in.
- When Squirtle uses Hydro Pump on Starmie, its stomach is discolored blue.
- When Jessie commands James and Meowth to pedal faster, her animation twitches.
In other languages
| Mandarin Chinese
|| Nápadník pro Misty
|| Misty for en bejler
|| Misty Neemt een Besluit
| European French
|| Coup de foudre sous le soleil
|| Romantisches Insel-Abeneur
|| מיסטי פוגשת את המתחרה שלהMisty pogeshet et hamitchare shela
|| Misty को मिला एक नया दोस्त! Misty ko mila Ek Naya Dost! *
|| Misty hódolója
|| Lezioni di ballo
|| Misty møter sin likemann
|| Misty spotyka wielbiciela
|| Misty Encontra um Par
|| Misty Conhece o seu Par
|| Misty Își Întâlnește Provocarea
|| Мисти делает выбор
|| Latin America
|| ¡Misty encuentra pareja!
|| Misty conoce a su media naranja
|| Misty får en beundrare