From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
Duplica (Japanese: イミテ Imite) is a young girl who works as a performing Pokémon Trainer and impressionist. Her character was probably based on that of the Copycat from Red, Blue, and Yellow, Gold, Silver, and Crystal and their remakes (FireRed and LeafGreen, HeartGold and SoulSilver)
In the anime
Duplica has appeared in two anime episodes. Her first appearance was in Ditto's Mysterious Mansion. Ash and his friends were traveling through Kanto when they sought shelter from the rain in an abandoned mansion. The house was actually called "The House of Imite" and it was owned by Duplica and her Ditto. She showed them Ditto's ability to transform into any Pokémon. A skeptical Ash sent out his Bulbasaur to battle Duplica's Ditto. Surprisingly enough, Bulbasaur lost against the imitation. Duplica then explained that her Ditto had trouble transforming one aspect of it, its face. No matter what Pokémon it Transformed into, it always retained the beady eyes and wobbly mouth of a Ditto.
Team Rocket kidnapped the Ditto. They wanted to have Duplica's Ditto Transform into a Dratini so they could give it to Giovanni. After a while, they were able to train it to Transform perfectly. After Ash, Brock, Duplica, and Misty dressed up as Team Rocket and rescued Ditto, Duplica felt she was ready to open up her mansion as a theater to entertain passing Pokémon Trainers.
Later, in Imitation Confrontation, Brock noticed that a Nurse Joy they were talking to was an imitation. It turned out to be Duplica, who had come to the local town for a Pokémon Acting Competition. She had another Ditto, Mini-Dit, with another problem. It could Transform into perfect replicas of other Pokémon, in every way but size. So when it transformed into an Onix, she had a tiny, hand-held Onix.
Team Rocket stole Mini-Dit and planned to have it transform into a Pokémon that they could pass off as a rare, pygmy version, so that they could get a rare and powerful Pokémon in return. Duplica recovered Mini-Dit and decided that its unusual transformations made it unique; the audience seemed to agree.
Although Duplica sometimes performs by imitating Pokémon herself, her usual shows feature her imitating a Pokémon Trainer while her Ditto imitates that Trainer's Pokémon. She did an excellent impression of Ash and Nurse Joy, for instance.
This listing is of Duplica's Pokémon in the anime.
In the games
Duplica in Pokémon Zany Cards
Duplica appears, along with Casey, as the Stage 3 opponent of Special Seven mode. Duplica's Ditto also appears as a card in Special Seven mode. Playing this card changes the suit of the card to the player's choice.
- "I am Duplica! I aim to be a PKMN master! You must know all PKMN to truly use Ditto. I'll take you anytime!"
- "I'll go now."
- "Here's how to do it."
- "I still have a lot."
- "My Ditto is too strong!"
- "I still have my Ditto."
- "No turn for Ditto."
- "You use PKMN wisely."
- "More cards for me."
- "The rotation changed!"
- "Nice Job!"
- "I've got a lot to learn."
In the manga
In The Electric Tale of Pikachu manga
Duplica also makes an appearance in The Electric Tale of Pikachu manga in the chapter Pikachu's Excellent Adventure. Her Ditto had grown in its abilities so that it was now able to vary how closely it imitated other Pokémon. It could partially transform into a rubbery, tall version of Machop, for instance.
Misty wanted to get a Ditto of her own, so Duplica offered to take her to Route 13, where she captured hers. Their trip had to be called off after Pikachu got lost, however.
This listing is of Duplica's Pokémon in the Electric Tale of Pikachu manga.
- Main article: Duplica's Ditto
Ditto is Duplica's only known Pokémon. It grew in its abilities to transform into other Pokémon so that it was now successful in completely imitating other Pokémon. One of the Pokémon that it transformed was a Machop.
|| Pikachu's Excellent Adventure
- Duplica's first Ditto's habit of not transforming its face was originally presented as an anomaly. However, other Ditto with this trait have been seen in other media, such as the wild Ditto on Pokémon Island in Pokémon Snap. They also transform into the same Pokémon as Ditto did in Duplica's debut episode, a Bulbasaur. Ditto cards in the TCG in which Ditto is seen transformed into another Pokémon also behave in this way. Additionally, in Diamond and Pearl's Veilstone Game Corner, during the Game Corner slot machine game, a Clefairy with a Ditto face will occasionally appear instead of a real Clefairy.
- Duplica's method of defeating Ash was similar to how Mewtwo's Venusaur defeated Corey's Bruteroot in Mewtwo Strikes Back.
- When dressing up as Ash Ketchum, Nurse Joy, Officer Jenny, and Misty, she briefly speaks in their voices.
- Narissa from the Diamond & Pearl series is somewhat similar to Duplica, having two Ditto (with one of them being somewhat special) and cosplaying.
- She sometimes calls Ash "Ashy-boy", possibly imitating Gary Oak.
|| イミテ Imite
|| From imitate.
| English, Italian, German
|| From duplicate.
|| 미미 Mimi
|| From mimic.
| Chinese (Mandarin)
|| 伊美蒂 Yīměidì
|| Transliteration of her Japanese name.