From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
Question marks are often used to indicate things in the Pokémon games that are unknown:
- The ??? type, a type used in Generation II, III, and IV.
- A form of Unown.
- The Pokédex number of an obtained Pokémon not in a regional Pokédex in Generation IV, V, and VI.
- The ID number, OT name and National Pokédex number of a Pokémon Egg.
- The placeholder name of Silver in Pokémon Gold, Silver, and Crystal, before he is given a name by the player.
- The location of the player while inside of a truck at the beginning of Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire.
- In Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time, Darkness and Sky, missions with an unknown reward have the reward listed as ???.
- Uncaught Ultra Beasts are displayed as ???.
- In Pokémon GO, wild Pokémon with a Combat Power higher than the CP of the player's highest CP Pokémon have their CP displayed as ??? on the encounter screen.
- In Pokémon Sword and Shield at the start of the game, the player finds a Pokémon labeled as ???.