Mauville Game Corner
Location of Mauville Game Corner in Hoenn.
|Pokémon world locations
There are sixteen slot machines in the Game Corner, with four of them having people already seated at them. Different machines have an inherent "luck" to them, and certain events will happen at different rates depending on the machine you play on. Each machine falls into six different categories, from unluckiest to luckiest.
One to three coins can be put in the slot machine each play. One coin will only count the center row across, two coins will count all three rows across, and three coins will count all three rows across as well as both diagonals. The reels stop spinning when the player presses the A button, though the game will attempt to manipulate the outcome and will add up to four extra turns to the reel after pressing A. If the game has already decided the player should lose, it will attempt to prevent the player from making any matches at all.
There are three reel speeds – normal, half speed, and quarter speed. When the player begins playing, the speed defaults to normal.
Games can either be "normal" or "lucky". This is determined at random when the player begins playing, a 50% chance, though it can be modified by two different events. If the player matches three Blue 7's, the game will become lucky, and if the player matches three Red 7's, the game will become normal. It is possible to tell whether or not the player is in a lucky game by noticing the initial positions of the reels, with straight red 7's indicating a normal game and straight blue 7's indicating a lucky game.
Each time a new round is started, the game will try to select a "bias", which are grouped into two categories, normal, and special. Each bias has a different symbol it will attempt to aim for, with the normal bias group containing all symbols except for the blue and red 7. The special bias group contains biases for mixed 7s, straight 7s (of either color), and a Reel Time bias.
The game will not select a new bias if the current bias is for mixed 7s or straight 7s. Otherwise, the game will first try to determine if there should be a chance to roll for a special bias. Depending on the luckiness of the current machine and the number of coins bet, the chance to roll for a special bias will change. On average, the chance will be ~0.72% after betting one coin, ~0.78% after two coins, and ~5.60% after three coins. If the check passes, then the game will try and assign a special bias. There is a ~35.81% chance of receiving a special bias, the odds roughly equal between each of the three biases, again with the chances being higher on luckier machines. If the Reel Time bias or no special bias was selected, the game will now attempt to assign one of the normal biases.
If the game is lucky, the odds of receiving the bias for the lightning bolt symbol is directly increased by 10/256 (~3.91%), while the odds of receiving the bias for the replay symbol is decreased by the same amount. There is a ~49.87% chance of receiving one of the standard biases, on average.
The behavior of the biases changes based on which reel is currently being stopped, as well as how many coins have been bet. If the player has bet one or two coins, the game will allow the reel to spin up to four extra symbols in an attempt to make sure the current biased symbol ends up on screen. If the player has bet three coins, the game will do the same, except it will also take diagonals into account and attempt to match those as well.
If no bias is active, or the game was unable to ensure a match within the four extra spins, it will attempt to force the player to lose. In the case where a bias towards 7's is active, the game will actively attempt to mismatch three 7's in a row, going for either red, blue, red, or blue, red, blue. Otherwise, the game will spin the reel as many times as needed in order to ensure the player cannot make a match. Due to an oversight, it is occasionally possible to make a match of three symbols going directly across, but not diagonally.
Note that order matters.
|Series of icons
|3 coins, power
As the player successfully matches three lightning bolts, they are tallied up in the power meter at the top of the screen, up to a max of 16. An animation of a Pikachu charging up a spinner appears, with Pikachu speeding up as the spinner slows down. Every 40 frames (2/3rds of a second) the game will check to see if the machine should explode. The game attempts this check four different times, with each attempt having lower odds than the previous, meaning the machine will explode ~23.47% of the time. If the machine explodes or if the player receives zero spins, the regular game is resumed.
If the Reel Time bias is selected at the start of the round, Reel Time will started immediately, and the number of lightning bolts is reset to zero. After Reel Time has started, the game will determine how many spins the player will receive based on the number of lighting bolts collected. Due to a programming oversight, the chance of receiving zero spins is significantly higher than intended, roughly 31% even with 16 lightning bolts, where the intended chance is around 2%. Because of this oversight, lucky games will receive zero spins significantly more often than normal games.
During Reel Time, the reels will stop immediately upon pressing A, unlike regular spins where the game may add up to four extra turns. If the player manages to match straight 7's (of either color) Reel Time will end immediately. At the start of each round, the reel speed for that round is determined. There is a 10% chance to get half speed, meaning that 90% of the time the game will continue and attempt to give the player quarter speed. A combination of two factors, how many coins the player has lost to the machine, and how many turns of Reel Time the player has used, will determine the chance of receiving quarter speed.
|Total coins lost
|This video is not available on Bulbapedia; instead, you can watch the video on YouTube here.
In all versions, the reels have the following symbols. (The reels slide downward, so symbols at the bottom show up first.)
- Main article: Roulette
The roulette wheels have twelve slots. Each slot has a different combination of one of three colors (yellow, green, and purple) and one of four Pokémon (Makuhita, Azurill, Skitty, and Wynaut). By betting which slot a ball will land in, the player can win Coins.
Bets can be placed in three different ways: on a specific slot, on a color, or on a Pokémon. Once a bet is placed, a ball will be spun around the wheel until it lands in one of the twelve slots. Winning a bet on a specific slot returns twelve times as much as was originally bet, winning by Pokémon yields four times the amount bet, and winning by color gives three times as much. Each ball remains on the wheel after being placed. Once six balls have been played, the wheel is reset.
As only one ball can fit into each slot, bets on a Pokémon or color can change their odds and increase their payouts when some of the possibilities are taken off the board. The multiplier of a payout is always equal to 12 divided by the number of empty slots of the bet type; for example, if a ball has already landed on a Wynaut, that row will have a ×6 multiplier (12/2) instead of the usual ×4 multiplier (12/3), as now there are only two Wynaut slots left on the wheel instead of three.
There are two roulette wheels in the Game Corner, with one having a wager of 1 coin and the other having a wager of 3 coins. On the Game Corner's Service Day, the 3-coin table has a special rate of a 6-coin wager instead.
Sometimes the ball may get stuck between two balls which have already settled. When this happens, either a Shroomish will drop down, causing the ball to fly up into the air and land in another spot, or a Taillow will pick it up and, after hovering with it for a bit, drop it into another spot.
|From a man to the right of the service counter
|R S E
|From a girl left of the service counter, if the player started with Treecko
|R S E
|From a girl left of the service counter, if the player started with Torchic
|R S E
|From a girl left of the service counter, if the player started with Mudkip
|R S E
The leftmost woman sells coins at the following rates:
The two women on the right side behind the counter exchange coins for prizes.
- The closure of the Game Corner in Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire is likely due to PEGI's current classification standards, for which simulated depictions of gambling must have at least a "12" rating.
In other languages
|This article is part of Project Locations, a Bulbapedia project that aims to write comprehensive articles on every location in the Pokémon world.