From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
| ...But Fearow Itself!
...But Fearow Itself! (Japanese: VS オニドリル VS Onidrill) is the ninth round of the Pokémon Adventures manga.
Once again, Bill is fixing his new invention, a transporter, in his Sea Cottage when he locks himself inside the machine by accident. The automatic process begins with Bill trapped in one side of the machine and a Rattata in the other side.
On Route 25, Red is troubled by the many Poké Balls on his belt, finding carrying them to be cumbersome but unwilling to drop them off due to the effort he put in capturing the Pokémon. While mulling away, he is shocked to find a Rattata with the head of a human and converses in human language. The Rattata introduces itself as Bill, a Pokémon expert; however, in the middle of the introduction, a Fearow grabs Bill by its talons and takes him away. Red tries his best to save Bill by using his Pokémon, eventually succeeding when Pika delivers an electric attack from above that knocks the bird down and freeing Bill in the process.
Despite the damage, Fearow recovers and goes into an offensive stance. Bill recognizes Fearow's movements and warns Red that it will use Drill Peck. Spiraling like a torpedo, Fearow dives at Red's Poliwhirl, appearing to pierce right through it. However, it is revealed that Fearow merely pierced a Double Team clone, which gave Poliwhirl time to freeze the Beak Pokémon with Ice Beam.
Back at the Sea Cottage, Bill is transformed back into a human with Red's help, and the two formally introduce themselves. Bill explains that his invention is meant to transport Pokémon anywhere, anytime, and offers to help Red with his Pokémon's storage. Picking up one of Red's Poké Balls, Bill is flustered to find Fearow inside; the very one that kidnapped him earlier.
- For a list of all major events in the Pokémon Adventures manga, please see the timeline of events.
|| Spoilers end here.
- This is the first view of the Pokémon Storage System and the transporters in the manga.
- Red has at least eleven Pokémon at the beginning of this round.
- As in the games, Bill is mixed with a Pokémon during a teleportation experiment.
- The mutated Rattata is the first talking Pokémon in the manga.
- The English title for this round is based on the famous quote "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself" by Franklin Delano Roosevelt.
- In VIZ Media's translation, the setting is said to be "Route 24-24", rather than "Route 24-25".
In other languages