From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
| An Undersea Place to Call Home!
Undersea Castle! Kuzumo and Dramidoro!!
|| November 20, 2014
| United States
|| February 7, 2015
|| Team Kato
|| 藤田伸三 Shinzō Fujita
|| 吉村文宏 Fumihiro Yoshimura
| Assistant director
|| 吉村文宏 Fumihiro Yoshimura
| Animation directors
|| 斉藤圭太 Keita Saitō
| 郷津春奈 Haruna Gōtsu
| No additional credits are available at this time.
An Undersea Place to Call Home! (Japanese: 海底の城！クズモーとドラミドロ！！ The Undersea Castle! Kuzumo and Dramidoro!!) is the 24th episode of the XY series, and the 823rd episode of the Pokémon anime. It first aired in Japan on November 20, 2014 and in the United States on February 7, 2015.
This episode was originally scheduled to air in Japan on April 24, 2014, but was postponed due to the sinking of the MV Sewol ferry in South Korea on April 16, 2014; due to this, it was also subsequently skipped in the English-language broadcasts. It may have made its world debut in South Korea on August 8, 2014, but it has not been officially confirmed; it did air in Japan on November 20, 2014, between Pathways to Performance Partnering! and When Light and Dark Collide!. The English dub version, however, aired after When Light and Dark Collide!, during a four-hour marathon on February 7, 2015.
Before Ash’s battle against Grant at the Cyllage City Gym, our heroes visit the Muraille Coast, the suspected site of a ship that sank long ago. Ash and Serena join an underwater archeologist in her submarine to look for the lost luxury liner. What they find is breathtaking to behold! Wild Water-type Pokémon have made the shipwreck into a home under the sea, and more recently, so has Team Rocket...
As Ash and his friends continue their journey, Ash goes to train his Froakie after having lunch. Serena advises to go fishing instead, since they are rarely at a beach to fish. Clemont thinks Ash will benefit with having an additional Water-type Pokémon. The group goes fishing together and soon Ash already has a bite. He pulls out the catch, but is disappointed to see it is just kelp. However, a thing moves between it, attacking Ash. Ash pushes it away, while Bonnie applies a bandage to the Pokémon, seeing it is hurt. The Pokémon, a Skrelp, dives in and uses Mud Shot on the heroes, who hide behind a rock. Pikachu tries to reason with Skrelp, who attacks and poisons him. The heroes are terrified and run to the Pokémon Center to heal Pikachu.
Two people ride a car and stop, seeing Pikachu poisoned. The woman heals Pikachu, pleasing him and Ash for the recovery. The heroes introduce themselves, while the couple are Eddie and Lindsay, who are here for marine archaeology research. They point at the ocean, reporting a ship called "The Cussler" sunk a long time ago, for it crashed into an iceberg and sunk down. However, they believe the ship moved near this coast due to sea currents, so they want to explore it a bit. The heroes are interested and want to explore as well. The couple accept their help, but ask of them to follow each order, as it is dangerous. Team Rocket overheard every word and plan on taking the treasures of the Cussler to fund Team Rocket.
The heroes watch from a boat as the currents suddenly stop. Eddie tells them sometimes the currents suddenly stop and won't appear for a while. Lindsay presents the submarines, but everyone is interested to dive in. Clemont's eyeglasses flash, as he prepares a new machine to decide who will enter. They each place their stamp on the machine, which turns on. The cursors move to the finish line, but Ash's and Serena's stamp moved to the correct position, so Clemont and Bonnie lost. Ash and Serena enter the submarine, along with Lindsay, and dive in. Ash and Serena are amazed by the amount of Water Pokémon and notice a bunch of Skrelp, along with the one with the bandage.
Suddenly, the submarine is swept by the sea current, along with a shipwreck. Lindsay navigates the submarine to safety, though Ash and Serena notice the Skrelp follow the shipwreck. They soon reach the remains of the ship, The Cussler. The shipwreck falls down and Ash notices some Dragalge, who spit Acid to merge the shipwreck with The Cussler, trying to create a big complex as a habitat for everyone. Some Water-type Pokémon come out and celebrate with Skrelp and Dragalge. Suddenly, they notice some light in the distance. They come to it and see Team Rocket's submarine going inside the complex. Team Rocket come inside the complex, intending to find the treasure. The submarine emerges, along with some Skrelp and Dragalge, who spit Acid on Ash and Serena.
The Skrelp with the bandage stops the attacks, as they helped it, so it leads everyone to find Team Rocket, who are doing something. The heroes and the Pokémon come, busting Team Rocket on the spot. Jessie activates a button, which starts the engine, which will soon be split from the complex. The smoke distracts Ash, Serena and Lindsay, allowing Team Rocket to escape. Ash sends Froakie to follow Skrelp, while he, Lindsay, and Serena go to the submarine. Team Rocket are to take the vault via their submarine, but the Skrelp comes and uses Mud Shot on their submarine. Froakie also comes, distracting them. Lindsay fears the blast made by Team Rocket will cause the complex to be ruined. Ash asks the Dragalge to prevent that, who call every Pokémon around.
Team Rocket's submarine throws Froakie away and dives up. The Pokémon push the complex and manage to push it a bit. Lindsay's submarine picks up a plate and places it on the hole where the vault was. The Dragalge use Acid, merging the plate to the ship so it does not get flooded anymore. Eddie is pleased everyone is safe, but warns them the sea currents will appear soon. Team Rocket came out and are happy their plan was a success. However, the sea currents appear, causing their submarine to spin and blast off, while they drop the vault. Skrelp and Froakie are engulfed by the current. They jump on the trash of the shipwreck to come to Ash. Froakie and Skrelp make a big leap, managing to come to the submarine.
Later, the heroes bid farewell to Skrelp and Dragalge, who dive in the sea. Eddie and Lindsay report they managed to find the location of The Cussler. Bonnie and Clemont are impressed by Froakie's leaping, giving Ash a new idea. Meanwhile, the treasures of the vault lie deep on the ocean floor.
- For a list of all major events in the anime, please see the timeline of events.
Who's That Pokémon?: Skrelp (US and international)
Pokémon Quiz: Skrelp (Japan)
The title card segment focuses on Ash for this episode
- Mairin's Mega Evolution Journal: Mega Gallade
- This episode is unique among skipped and banned episodes as it had a known English dub title during the period in which it was banned. The title was posted on the Turner Broadcasting press site, but was then pulled off the next day and replaced with Climbing the Walls!.
- If the Korean rumor is true, this episode is the first non-special episode to make its world debut airing outside of Japan, as well as the only episode overall to make its world debut outside Japan or the United States.
- Coincidentally, the original 24th episode of the Best Wishes series was also skipped, but was not aired anywhere in the world.
- Unlike A Fishing Connoisseur in a Fishy Competition!, another delayed episode, this episode was not re-edited to fit into continuity, with Ash's Fletchinder's appearance as a Fletchling and references to Ash's upcoming battle with Grant. The Narrator's dialogue acknowledged that the story took place in the past.
- This was the last episode to air before the release of Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire.
- The story of a luxury liner sinking after hitting an iceberg told in this episode greatly resembles the story of RMS Titanic, a ship that suffered the same fate in 1912. The outlook of the ship also greatly resembles Titanic's design.
- In addition, Eddie and Lindsay's submarine greatly resembles Alvin, a famous real-life submarine that has explored the wreck of Titanic and also has room for a pilot and two passengers.
- During the fishing scene, Bonnie's hair on her hairpin is missing.
- When Serena is watching Qwilfish on the submarine, Qwilfish's bellies are completely dark blue.
- In one scene, Lindsay's lower body is missing.
Lindsay's lower body is missing
- Unlike other episodes, the narrator speaks entirely in a past tense in the dub, likely as a way to indicate this episode aired out of continuity.
In other languages
|| 해저의 성을 지켜라! 수레기와 드래캄!!
|| ปราสาทใต้ทะเล! คุสึโม่กับดรามิโดโร่!!
- ↑ TV Tokyo official website
- ↑ Sound director Masafumi Mima's Twitter account
- ↑ Pocket Monsters XY official website