From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
Ruby and Sapphire (Japanese: 第４章 ルビー ・ サファイア編 The Fourth Chapter: Ruby and Sapphire) is the fourth chapter of the Pokémon Adventures manga and it consists of eight volumes. It is the second longest completed chapter of the series, behind Gold, Silver & Crystal chapter.
This chapter features the journeys of Ruby and Sapphire who are trying to conquer all the Pokémon Contests and Gyms in Hoenn respectively within the span of 80 days. However, this gets interrupted by the two new evil organizations, the land-loving Team Magma and sea-loving Team Aqua. Sapphire and Ruby have to worry about something else, too: their feelings for each other.
- Main article: List of Pokémon Adventures omnibus volumes
The Ruby & Sapphire chapter was originally planned for a 2011 release as part of Shogakukan's "My First Wide" series of omnibus volumes. The Ruby & Sapphire chapter was chosen due to its high popularity in Japan. A total of three volumes were planned. After the first volume was released, the series was discontinued due to the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami.
In 2014, another omnibus release was announced for the chapter in commemoration of the release of Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire. The volumes will be released under Shogakukan's "My First Series" brand, which are bargain-priced volumes sold only in Japanese convenience stores. A total of four volumes were released, beginning with first volume on October 24, 2014.
An English language omnibus release was announced by Shogakukan Asia in early 2015 under the title "Pokémon Adventures: Ruby & Sapphire". This release will consist of four total volumes, the first of which was released in January.
A three-volume omnibus release of the Ruby & Sapphire chapter has also begun in France, starting from December 2014.
- Main article: List of rounds in the fourth chapter of Pokémon Adventures
- Main article: Timeline of events in the fourth chapter of Pokémon Adventures
- Ruby moves to Hoenn region and runs away from home.
- Ruby meets Sapphire and they receive their starter Pokémon. After this they arrange a bet.
- Norman grants Ruby's wish and lets him compete at Contests.
- Team Aqua stops the volcanic activity at Mt. Chimney.
- Team Magma blows the Rusturf Tunnel up.
- Villainous Teams decide to cooperate and travel to Seafloor Cavern together.
- Kyogre and Groudon are awakened and start destroying the region.
- Norman and Wally awaken Rayquaza.
- Ruby and Sapphire stop Maxie and Archie.
- Ruby and Sapphire achieve their goals.
- Giovanni finds the Red and Blue orbs that have been transformed into gems.
The following Pokémon are obtained:
The following Pokémon evolve:
Gym Battles and Pokémon Contests
Sapphire defeats the following Gym Leaders:
Ruby wins the following Contest ranks in every category:
- This is the first completed chapter to not include former main characters (other than the first chapter), although Red has several cameos. The second is the Diamond & Pearl chapter.
- Ruby and Sapphire's bet was likely based on the novel Around the World in Eighty Days, by Jules Verne, in which a man takes a wager to circumnavigate the globe in a mere 80 days.
- When this chapter was being published in the magazines, it was known as the Ruby, Sapphire & Emerald chapter (Japanese: ルビー ・ サファイア ・ エメラルド編 Ruby, Sapphire & Emerald chapter).