From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
| A Scare in the Air
|| February 4, 1999
| United States
|| January 8, 2000
|| Team Ota
|| 武上純希 Junki Takegami
|| 鈴木敏明 Toshiaki Suzuki
| Assistant director
|| 鈴木敏明 Toshiaki Suzuki
| Animation director
|| 志村泉 Izumi Shimura
| Additional credits
A Scare in the Air (Japanese: ひこうせんはふこうせん！？ Blimp Accident!? ) is the 82nd episode of the Pokémon anime and the first episode in the Orange Islands arc. It was first broadcast in Japan on February 4, 1999 and in the United States on January 8, 2000.
Ash, Brock and Misty prepare for their long journey to Valencia Island to bring back a mysterious Poké Ball for Professor Oak. After discovering that the trip will take a month to get there, Ash manages to win a free blimp ride so it will take only a day! Once on board, they realize the blimp is being powered by Team Rocket! And things only get worse from there!
Preparing to depart for Valencia Island, Ash and his friends are at a grocery store picking up supplies for their trip. Ash suggests walking, but Brock's guidebook says that it will only take a day traveling by blimp. While the blimp arrives, two men sponsor a contest where the winner gets a prize just by showing their store receipt to them. Ash shows his receipt, and wins a trip on the blimp. Unknown to the kids, Jessie and James have received an assignment from Giovanni to operate the blimp.
Ash and the others reach the blimp yard, where they see a broken down blimp. Two men approach them and ask if they are riding the blimp. They then tell them the blimp is haunted and full of ghosts. At this point, Jessie and James enter the blimp.
Once on board, Ash and the others notice how broken down the blimp truly is. At the same time, Meowth is fixing dinner, while Jessie and James act as waiters. During some turbulence, Ash complains about the ride. Jessie and James ask Meowth who's flying the blimp. They realize that nobody was flying the blimp. Realizing this, Jessie and James attempt to pilot the blimp, but instead fly it into a big storm.
Suddenly, Misty notices that Togepi is missing. They set out to find it, while Team Rocket starts looking for the twerps. When Ash and the others reach the inflated portion of the blimp, they encounter what they believe to be a ghost. As it turns out, the ghost is actually Jigglypuff.
Eventually, Ash and friends meet up with Team Rocket, and begin a Pokémon battle. At one point, Brock's Geodude throws James's Weezing through the blimp and it starts ripping apart. While this is happening, Misty finally spots Togepi on a high ledge. Ash uses Bulbasaur to grab Togepi from the ledge. While trying to rescue Togepi, Team Rocket attempts to steal Pikachu. Their plan is thwarted when the blimp hits a pocket of turbulence and they fall out of the blimp. Using fabric from the blimp, Meowth makes a parachute. However, Jigglypuff lands on top of it and starts to sing. They fall asleep, and Meowth lets go of the fabric, causing the trio to fall into the ocean.
Now in control of the blimp, Ash and the others try to land it. Using their Pokémon, they are able to steer the blimp and crash land it on Valencia Island. Now safely on land, they continue to Professor Ivy's lab to obtain the GS Ball.
- For a list of all major events in the anime, please see the timeline of events.
Who's That Pokémon?: Vulpix (U.S. and international), Daruma doll (Japan)
- Professor Oak's lecture:
- Pokémon senryū summary: Lickitung; a stretching and contracting, long tongue.
- The dub of this episode was renamed "Spirits in the Sky" after the September 11 attacks. However, this may have only been temporary, as Cartoon Network reruns keep the original dub title. It also remains unchanged on the official Pokémon website, both on the title card in the episode and the title on the website.
- Meowth's song is to the tune of "On Top of Old Smoky."
- Kids' WB! and Cartoon Network aired the first season intro instead of the Orange Islands theme for this episode, Pallet Party Panic and Poké Ball Peril. This was amended on the home video releases of these episodes.
- Ash states that it would take about a month or so to reach Valencia Island if one were to travel by foot. Unless there is a bridge connecting the island to the mainland, this would be impossible.
- When Jessie and James empty water from the blimp, outside camera shots of the blimp only sometimes show any water being expelled.
- The blimp in this episode has a rigid metal framework, which would make it a Zeppelin, not a blimp.
In other languages