From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
|| The picture used in this article is unsatisfactory.|
Reason: Should be replaced with Generation VII image
Please feel free to replace it so it conforms to Bulbapedia conventions.
Ice Burn (Japanese: コールドフレア Cold Flare) is a damage-dealing Ice-type move introduced in Generation V. It is one of the signature moves of White Kyurem.
Ice Burn deals damage and has a 30% chance of burning the target.
Ice Burn does nothing on the turn it is selected, other than state that the user is charging. This charge turn can be skipped using a Power Herb. On the following turn, Ice Burn will deal damage, PP will be deducted from it, and it will count as the last move used. Once Ice Burn is selected, the user won't be able to switch out until it is disrupted or fully executed.
If Ice Burn is not fully executed, PP will not be deducted from it, and it will not count as the last move used. If the target uses Mirror Move during the turn that the user is charging, Mirror Move will copy the move that the user executed immediately before using Ice Burn (or fail if it can't).
Sleep, freeze, partial trapping, and flinching will pause but not disrupt the duration of Ice Burn.
| On the second turn, an ultracold, freezing wind surrounds the target. This may leave the target with a burn.
|| Egg Groups
|Bold indicates a Pokémon gains STAB from this move.|
Italics indicates a Pokémon whose evolution or alternate form receives STAB from this move.
In the anime
In the main series
In Pokémon Generations
In the manga
In the movie adaptations
In other generations
- This move seems to draw reference to both Reshiram and Kyurem, as it is an Ice-type move and its side-effect is related to the Fire type. Furthermore, in Pokémon Black and White, the animation for the actual attacking part is resembles that of Blue Flare, one of Reshiram's signature moves.
- Freeze Shock, a move variation of Ice Burn, likewise references Kyurem and Zekrom.
- Along with Freeze Shock, Ice Burn has the highest base power of all Ice-type moves.
- Ice Burn is the only Ice-type move that is able to cause burn, excluding moves that have been changed to Ice-type by Refrigerate.
- The burn side-effect may be a reference to frostbite, which is similar to a burn.
In other languages