From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
Zekrom and Reshiram using Bolt Strike and Blue Flare, their signature moves
In the Pokémon fandom, the term signature move is often used to refer to a move that can only be learned by a single Pokémon or its evolutionary relatives usually in the same evolutionary line. Most are learned by leveling up but some can be learned through other means when no Pokémon can learn the move by leveling up. Note that any of the moves included in this classification (except for Chatter) can be learned by Smeargle by use of Sketch, making Sketch and Chatter the only moves that are truly exclusive to one Pokémon legitimately. Also, some of these moves can be passed down via breeding to other Pokémon or are known by certain event Pokémon.
List of Pokémon and their signature moves
One-off signature moves
Victini using Fusion Flare, Fusion Bolt, and V-create
This is a list of signature moves that at only one point, another Pokémon had the ability to acquire:
- A Dratini that knows ExtremeSpeed is obtainable in Pokémon Crystal, HeartGold, and SoulSilver after answering a quiz in the Dragon's Den.
- An Egg will be given by the Day-Care Man in Pokémon Crystal that hatches into a random baby Pokémon that knows Dizzy Punch.
- A Skitty with Pay Day can be obtained from a special Egg after depositing 500 Pokémon in Pokémon Box Ruby & Sapphire from a Game Boy Advance game pak.
- After Lugia from Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness has been purified, it learns Psycho Boost and FeatherDance.
- After Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres from Pokémon XD have been purified, they all learn Extrasensory.
- A Darkrai with Roar of Time and Spacial Rend was available as a special giveaway to commemorate the 10th movie.
- An Arceus with Roar of Time, Spacial Rend, and Shadow Force was available as a special giveaway to commemorate the 12th movie.
- A Victini with Fusion Flare and Fusion Bolt was available as a special giveaway to commemorate the 14th movie.
- A Victini with Glaciate, Bolt Strike, and Blue Flare was available as a special giveaway to celebrate Christmas 2012.
Other signature move examples
TM/HM or Move Tutor that are exclusive by level-up
- Squirtle and its evolutionary relatives are the only Pokémon to learn Skull Bash by leveling up in Generation I, but other Pokémon could learn it through TM40.
- Sudowoodo is the only Pokémon to learn Mimic by leveling up in Generation II, but other Pokémon could learn it through TM31 in Generation I and Move Tutor in Generation III.
- In Generations II, IV, V and VI and Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire, Hitmonlee is the only Pokémon who can learn Mega Kick. However, in Generation I and Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen, others could learn it through TM and Move Tutor respectively.
- Waterfall was the signature move of Goldeen and Seaking in Generation I, before it became an HM. They are still the only ones to learn it by level up.
- Unown can learn only Hidden Power, and is the only Pokémon to learn it in Generation II; however, almost every other Pokémon can learn it via TM10 in Generation II and beyond.
- Although several Pokémon can learn it by TM, until Generation III only Diglett and Dugtrio could learn Dig by level up.
- Sunflora is the only Pokémon to learn Bullet Seed by level up in Generation III, though other Pokémon could learn it through TM09.
- Prior to Generation V, Vigoroth is the only Pokémon to learn Focus Punch by leveling up, although many other Pokémon can learn it via TM01.
- Porygon-Z is the only Pokémon to learn Trick Room by leveling up prior to Generation VI, although that move could also be learned via TM92.
- Almost every Pokémon is able to learn Facade via TM42. However, Chimchar is the only one to learn it by leveling up prior to Generation V.
- Although only Panpour and its evolution are the only Pokémon to learn Scald by leveling up, other Pokémon can learn it via TM55.
- Kadabra and Alakazam are the only Pokémon to learn Ally Switch by leveling up, but other Pokémon can learn it through TM51 in Generation V.
- Volbeat is the only Pokémon to learn Flash by leveling up, but other Pokémon can learn it through HM05 in the first three generations or TM70 in other generations.
- Sawk is the only Pokémon to learn Rock Smash by leveling up, but other Pokémon can learn it through TM94 in Generation V and VI.
- Emolga is the only Pokémon to learn Volt Switch by leveling up in Generation V, but other Pokémon can learn it through TM72.
- Yveltal is the only Pokémon to learn Focus Blast or Snarl by leveling up, but other Pokémon can learn them via TM52 and TM95, respectively.
Moves commonly associated with certain Pokémon
- Although Megahorn was no longer Heracross's signature move starting in Generation III, it was still the only Bug-type Pokémon that could learn the move prior to Generation V, where Megahorn is now learnable by Scolipede, Karrablast and Escavalier.
- Lucario is usually associated with Aura Sphere and Force Palm, but ten Pokémon (including Lucario) can learn Aura Sphere in total plus two with Riolu from Almia and Raikou from Event, in addition to the Squirtle family through breeding. 10 Pokémon (including Lucario) can learn Force Palm. In Generation V and VI, Lucario and the Mienshao family are the only Fighting-type Pokémon to learn Aura Sphere by leveling up.
- Lucario no longer learns Force Palm in Generation VI (although Riolu can still learn it).
- Venusaur, Charizard, and Blastoise are often associated with Solar Beam, Flamethrower, and Hydro Pump, respectively, due to them frequently being depicted using those moves in various Pokémon media (such as the anime).
- Electrode are most commonly seen using Explosion, with it being shown to use it most in the anime.
- Jolteon and Vaporeon's signature moves are said to be Pin Missile and Acid Armor, respectively. Both abilities are alluded to in both Pokémon's various Pokédex entries. However, many Pokémon learn both moves by leveling up, and some through breeding. Likewise, Umbreon's Moonlight matches Espeon's Morning Sun, though others can learn it even in its introductory generation.
- Suicune, being known as the Aurora Pokémon, is associated with the move Aurora Beam.
- Although Clefairy can learn Meteor Mash by leveling up in any Generation III game, the only Pokémon that could have it legitimately before release of FireRed and LeafGreen were Metang and its evolved form, Metagross.
- Ditto has Transform as its only move and is most associated with it; however, Mew is also able to learn it.
- Until Generation III, Koffing and Weezing were the only Poison-type Pokémon capable of learning Smog, and are still the only Poison-type Pokémon to learn the move by level-up.
- The move Razor Shell is tied to Oshawott's evolutionary line, although it can also be learned by Shellder.
- Although Blaze Kick was no longer Blaziken's signature move from Generation III, it remains the only Fire-type Pokémon to learn it by level up.
- The Venipede family are the only Pokémon besides Golem which can learn Steamroller. They are also the only Bug-type Pokémon to learn it.
- Castform was the only Pokémon capable of learning Weather Ball prior to Generation IV. However, due to Shadow moves only being present in Generation III, it remains the only Pokémon capable of taking advantage of Weather Ball's ???-type effect during Shadow Sky.
- Each of Rotom's forms has its own signature move that cannot be carried over to any of its other forms. However, none of these five moves are exclusive to it.
- In Generation V, Sacred Sword was exclusively learned by the Swords of Justice, being a signature move of a Legendary group rather than an evolutionary family.
- No Pokémon can learn V-create outside of event distributions. Victini was the first to gain access to it and is often associated with the move. However, later, a Rayquaza with V-create was available as the winner of a popularity poll held in Japan in 2011, making it no longer Victini's signature move.
- Hitmonlee has had the most signature moves, with four in Generation II; however, only two of them are still Hitmonlee's signature moves. The other was also previously available to other Pokémon through TMs and Move Tutors.
- All Hoenn starter Pokémon could learn a signature move after evolution, although these moves can (from Generation IV onwards) be learned by other evolutionary families as well.
- Due to Smeargle's Sketch being able to copy signature moves, from Generation II onward the only moves that only one Pokémon can learn are Sketch itself, Shadow Chill, Shadow Bolt, Shadow Fire, Shadow Blast, and Chatter. This is because Shadow moves and Chatter cannot be Sketched.