From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
- If you were looking for the Pokémon Conquest Warrior, see List of Pokémon Conquest characters → Yoshi.
Jimmy (Japanese: ケンタ Kenta) is one of the main protagonists of the direct-to-TV film The Legend of Thunder!, along with Marina and Vincent. He is a Pokémon Trainer from New Bark Town.
Jimmy's starter Pokémon was Cyndaquil, which he received from Professor Elm of New Bark Town at the same time as Vincent and Marina. Despite being close friends, the trio did not travel together and went their separate ways. However, they crossed paths occasionally in their journeys. In one of his meetings with Marina, he caught a Weedle, which eventually evolved into a Beedrill.
Jimmy and his first Pokémon
In the midst of his journey, Jimmy and Cyndaquil were defeated by a mysterious young man and his Nidoking, who became one of his most powerful rivals. Jimmy then left on a mission to become increasingly strong. He eventually got his Cyndaquil to evolve into a Quilava and after that into a Typhlosion, thus allowing him to fight on equal terms with his rival and win. Thanks to his efforts, Jimmy and Marina then participated in the Silver Conference a full year before Vincent did.
In The Legend of Thunder!, Jimmy accepted Shinji's one-on-one battle challenge and defeated his Hitmonlee. Jimmy later located the nearest Pokémon Center and had his Pokémon healed. He overheard a familiar voice, which was none other than his friend Marina, who was busy talking to Vincent on the Venter's videophone. They had a battle where, although Marina showed the results of their training, Jimmy still took the lead, defeating Marina's Jigglypuff and almost defeating Wani-Wani. The battle was interrupted however by the actions of a group of Team Rocket who were working nearby. In his attempt to save the Legendary Pokémon Raikou, Jimmy's Typhlosion was beaten by Attila and Hun, though Marina's Little Miss was able to defeat the Rocket duo's Pokémon with a Perish Song. He also took the wounded Raikou to the nearby Pokémon Center.
During the treatment of Raikou, Jimmy met the mysterious Legendary Pokémon expert called Eugene, he claimed that Raikou attacked by retaliation, but Jimmy denied it.
Raikou awoke the following morning, stunned, Jimmy tried to talk to it, but it attacked and escaped into the surrounding forest. Jimmy, Marina and the others tried to follow and confronted Attila and Hun again. They battled the duo, and they were saved by Vincent who suddenly arrived on the scene. Through the efforts of Jimmy, Marina, Eusine and Vincent, the Trainers were able to free Raikou from the Miracle Crystal System and defeat Team Rocket. Jimmy's efforts finally earned the trust of Raikou, and Jimmy said goodbye to his new friend Raikou as it returned to the wilderness.
Jimmy has an energetic personality. Jimmy has a habit of saying "You rock and you rule!" ("OK! Perfect!" in the original) to his Pokémon and giving them a thumbs-up after winning a battle. He can be quick to jump to conclusions but also knows when to be serious and get the job done.
Jimmy cares for his Pokémon very much, and he was determined to protect Raikou from Hun and Attila's scheme. He values a battle challenge. Jimmy doesn't mind losing a round as he is driven to learn as much as he can. He has a battle style that focuses on offense. As such, his Pokémon are trained to take attacks and still keep fighting.
His main goal was to become a strong Pokémon Trainer so that he could protect the kids in New Bark Town, his hometown. He also has a crush on Marina, which appears to be mutual.
This listing is of Jimmy's known Pokémon in the anime:
Jimmy also has at least four other Pokémon, as he was seen with six Poké Balls during The Legend of Thunder!, two of which contained Typhlosion and Beedrill.
- Main article: Raikou (The Legend of Thunder!)
Jimmy met Raikou while it was being targeted by Team Rocket's Miracle Crystal. In an attempt to prevent it from being caught by the villainous duo, Jimmy battled them with his Typhlosion and Marina's help. The duo were able to escape and Jimmy took it to a Pokémon Center. When Raikou became severely injured later on by the crystal's force field, his Typhlosion volunteered to drain the energy from it, thus freeing Raikou and giving him a chance to destroy it once and for all.
|| The Legend of Thunder!
| Voice actors
|| Katsuyuki Konishi
|| Katsuyuki Konishi
This listing is of the Badges Jimmy has obtained:
Jimmy has competed in the following Pokémon League Conferences:
Ethan in Zoroark: Master of Illusions
- Much like Ash is based on Red, Jimmy is based on Ethan. However, a separate character made a cameo in the beginning of Zoroark: Master of Illusions, battling against Ash with a Donphan. Unlike Jimmy, that character wears Ethan's updated clothes from HeartGold and SoulSilver, and is indeed referred to as "Hibiki" (Ethan's Japanese name) in the art gallery feature of the Japanese DVD.
- When Vincent appeared in the Silver Conference (known then as Jackson in the dub), Marina and Jimmy were referred to "Dani and Yoshi" respectively, leading many to believe that "Yoshi" was the official English name for Jimmy, and "Dani" was the official English name for Marina. Whether this was the original intention remains unknown. However, in The Legend of Thunder!, they're identified as Jimmy and Marina.
- Jimmy's English name may come directly from Gold and Silver. There is a minor Trainer named "Kenta" in the Japanese version whose name was localized as "Jimmy" in the English translation - a Youngster on Route 3 with a Raticate and Arbok. The dubbers may have mistaken this character for an unrelated anime character. The same thing happened to Vincent.
- Jimmy is the only anime character based on a player character who has met his opposite-gender counterpart, as he is good friends with Marina, based on Kris.
|| Reference to
|| ケンタ Kenta
|| Meaning "large strong, healthy" (健太)
| Meaning "supplanter"
| Chinese (Mandarin))
|| 健太 Jiàntài
|| From 健太 Kenta. Can mean "extremely healthy."
|| เคนตะ Kenta
|| Same as his Japanese name