User talk:Tiddlywinks/List of Pokémon with released Hidden Abilities by availability
I like this idea a lot. A small bit of critique — I'm not well-versed enough in templates to know exactly how to do it, but I do think it would save coding time and bytes if the template for the entries was able to detect a simple command like "evolve" or "breed" (or even "e" or "b") and automatically turn that into the link to Evolution or breeding, so you wouldn't have to include the full link in the coding of the main page itself. Pumpkinking0192 (talk) 04:52, 19 April 2014 (UTC)
- I guess that's mostly what those would be used for, so that's alright I guess. It'd be easy enough to add another option to show "Evolve ♂", but for now, I think it'll do just fine with only "Evolve" (it's not so hard to see by just looking at the unevolved Pokemon, anyway). I also threw in a "t" that's basically for cases requiring Poke Transporter, but I'm not really a fan of putting that all over in the table, so for now that's just printing nothing (but, again, that'd be easy to change). Tiddlywinks (talk) 06:09, 19 April 2014 (UTC)
I quite like it. I think the labeling of Global Link promotions could be a lot better though: "JPN/KOR PGL promotion" looks nicer to me (three letter abbreviations are used by XY, so I think we should try and use those). Also, List of Pokémon Global Link promotions/Pokémon has anchors set up so List of Pokémon Global Link promotions/Pokémon#Squirtle goes to Squirtle's entry. There are a few Pokémon for which the same species was distributed twice—in those cases, the anchor can be seen in the page source (as "anchor=").
I don't think it is necessary to note Incense breeding, since it's not really that relevant here. Starly was missing an important note about it not having a Hidden Ability in Gen V, but I've added it.
Maybe it would be a good idea to split "In-game" into individual games? Most of the in-game HAs in Gen V are in B2W2 only, and then we're going to have different Pokémon having their HAs available in ORAS to XY as well. I don't like the addition of "by availability" to the end of the title, mainly because their listed by family Pokédex number; I'm not the biggest fan of the current title of the pages either, but "List of Hidden Abilities by location" is the best I can come up with. --SnorlaxMonster 10:09, 22 August 2014 (UTC)
- If people think "by location" is fine, it's alright by me too (not perfect, but certainly serviceable).
- I basically copied everything from the current Gen V/VI lists, so the incense notes and the lack of anchors are mainly just because that's how they were (although I do agree about the incense, and would have about the promos if I hadn't been being lazy).
- My feeling with the different games is that for the most part it should be - or quickly become - fairly obvious which game an in-game method belongs to. If you're very into the Pokemon games (and if you're looking at HAs, I imagine you are), you're probably at least passingly familiar with the characters and locations in different games. If you don't know Curtis/Yancy or Hidden Grottoes, a quick look at those pages will soon reveal that they're only in B2W2. If you're not familiar with a city name (in Gen VI), a quick check will tell you if it's in Kalos or Hoenn. As far as I'm concerned, "sup" is all that's needed, whenever a location/event/whatever is the same in different games but the HA is not available in all. My concern is that adding columns or using sup templates everywhere will just increase the width of the table, and I expect there to be a Gen VII and beyond that'll already start squishing down the columns. I could change my mind (particularly after ORAS comes out), but for now that's the bigger concern to me. Tiddlywinks (talk) 11:25, 22 August 2014 (UTC)
- Thanks. I wasn't sure I manipulated everything right when I was joining the Gen V and VI lists.
- You're certainly right that the Gen V header (/cells) is redundant for Kalos. But that can easily be fixed when(/if) this gets mainspaced. For now, it's just easier for me to reuse the same template that works for everything else. Tiddlywinks (talk) 11:25, 22 August 2014 (UTC)
I know this hasn't been added to in a while but this is a good idea and should be implemented. It'd be nice to have a list of unreleased HAs too, you could include them in this list and just put "unreleased" in each gen's section. Then you can call the article "List of Pokémon with
released Hidden Abilities by availability" JMVB - literally it doesn't stand for anything (talk) 14:39, 10 July 2017 (UTC)