From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
Symbiosis (Japanese: きょうせい Symbiosis) is an Ability introduced in Generation VI. It is one of two signature Abilities of Flabébé's evolutionary line, the other being Flower Veil. This Ability is exclusively obtained as a Hidden Ability.
If a Pokémon with Symbiosis has a held item, immediately after an ally's item is consumed, the Pokémon with Symbiosis will pass its item to that ally. Symbiosis may pass an item to a non-adjacent ally in a Triple Battle.
Symbiosis triggers any time an ally Pokémon consumes its item, whether directly or through the use of Fling or Natural Gift. If a Pokémon eats another Pokémon's Berry with Bug Bite or Pluck and is not holding an item, its ally's Symbiosis will be triggered. An Air Balloon popping will trigger Symbiosis. If multiple Pokémon on the same side of a Triple Battle or Horde Encounter have Symbiosis, then Symbiosis will trigger on the faster Pokémon (even while Trick Room is in effect).
Symbiosis will not trigger if an ally's item is moved to a different Pokémon; this means that Symbiosis will not be triggered by the effect of Thief, Covet, Trick, Switcheroo, Bestow, Magician, Pickpocket, Symbiosis, or Sticky Barb. Symbiosis also will not trigger if the Pokémon's held item is destroyed by Incinerate or knocked off by Knock Off.
If a Gem was consumed in response to the start of a move and the item received through Symbiosis would normally affect the power of the triggering move, then the new item's effect will be applied immediately; however, if a Plate or Drive is given to a Pokémon using Judgment or Techno Blast after it has consumed a Gem, the move's type will not change. If a Gem was consumed in response to the start of a move and the item received through Symbiosis is another Gem, it will not also consume the new Gem. Otherwise, if a consumable item is received through Symbiosis and the Pokémon can currently consume it, it will use it immediately.
If a type-resist Berry is consumed in response to an attack, Symbiosis will not activate until after damage is received. If an item is consumed using Fling or Natural Gift, Symbiosis will not activate until after the move deals damage.
Symbiosis cannot transfer a Mega Stone to or from a Pokémon that can Mega Evolve with it, a Griseous Orb to or from Giratina, a Drive to or from Genesect, or a Plate to a Pokémon with Multitype.
|| This section is incomplete.|
Please feel free to edit this section to add missing information and complete it.
Reason: Testing these items: King's Rock/Razor Fang, Rowap/Jaboca Berry, Wise Glasses/Muscle Band, Expert Belt, Lax Incense/Bright Powder, EV-enhancing item (both effects).
If an ally's Eject Button is consumed, Symbiosis will activate and transfer an item to that ally after it switches out but before its replacement is sent out. Any item transferred in response to an Eject Button activating cannot activate at this time.
When this Pokémon is switched in again, the Pokémon's item will be affected by a glitch which may cause the item's effect to be applied twice when activated. This behavior lasts until the Pokémon is switched out, or until the Pokémon's item is removed or moved to another Pokémon. The items affected by this glitch are:
- Black Sludge will hurt or heal the holder twice per turn (the item activation animation will display each time).
- Sticky Barb will hurt the holder twice (the item activation animation will display each time).
- Life Orb will apply its damage boost twice, and decrease the holder's HP twice.
- Rocky Helmet will inflict damage twice.
- Destiny Knot will activate twice. If the other Pokémon has a Mental Herb, it will be used up upon the first activation, only to be infatuated again a second time.
- Shell Bell will heal the holder twice (the item activation animation will display each time).
- Leftovers will heal the holder four times (the item activation animation will display twice, once before applying, once after healing twice).
- The Metronome applies twice. The two multipliers are applied in sequence, each capping after 5 uses of the move. This means that the move's power becomes 1.44× after 1 use (1.2×1.2), 1.96× after 2 uses, 2.56× after 3 uses, 3.24× after 4 uses, and 4× after 5 or more uses.
- Stat-stage boosting held items, such as the Weakness Policy and Salac Berry, will boost stats twice (the item activation animation will only display once). The Starf Berry can increase a different stat each time.
- HP-restoring Berries and Berry Juice will heal twice (even if the Pokémon heals above the activation threshold after the first heal), unless they are activated upon switching in (in which case they will only activate once).
- Damage-reducing Berries will quarter the damage instead of halving it (although the activation message will only be displayed once).
- The Scope Lens and Razor Claw will boost the holder's critical hit stage by 2 instead of 1.
- The following items have their passive boosts applied twice: Choice Band, Choice Specs, Choice Scarf, type-enhancing items (including Plates and Incense), stat-enhancing items (including the Assault Vest and Eviolite), Float Stone, Big Root, Iron Ball.
Some items are only affected in trivial ways:
- The Quick Claw and Power Herb will display their activation messages twice.
- The Air Balloon will display the floating message twice (but will only display the burst message once).
The moves Fling, Natural Gift, Bug Bite, and Pluck are unaffected.
Outside of battle
Symbiosis doesn't have a known effect outside of battle.
Pokémon with Symbiosis
|| First Ability
|| Second Ability
|| Hidden Ability
|| Flower Veil
|| Flower Veil
|| Flower Veil
| Please note that this is only 100% accurate to Generation VI games.
- For Generation III games, ignore Abilities introduced in Generation IV and Hidden Abilities.
- For Generation IV games, ignore Hidden Abilities.
- For Generation V games, ignore Abilities introduced in Generation VI.
In other languages