From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
This is about the state Shadow Pokémon enter in Pokémon Colosseum. For its equivalent in Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness, see Reverse Mode.
Hyper Mode (Japanese: ハイパー状態 Hyper State) is a condition Shadow Pokémon will sometimes enter in Pokémon Colosseum.
A Shadow Pokémon enters Hyper Mode during a Pokémon battle, and it will spend a turn having its emotions "rise to a fever pitch". It will only have a chance of entering Hyper Mode if it has been ordered to use Shadow Rush. Its status meter will turn red and black, and an Aura of the same color will appear around the Pokémon, presumably only seen by Rui.
Effects of Hyper Mode
- Shadow Rush has an increased critical hit ratio.
- If the Pokémon is ordered to use any move other than Shadow Rush, one of the following can happen:
- It may disobey and use another move instead (usually Shadow Rush).
- It may turn and attack its teammate instead.
- It may attempt to use its item, even if it isn't holding one.
- It may hurt itself, as if it were confused.
- It may actually attack its Trainer or the opposing Trainer.
- It may use the chosen move normally and obediently, though this is very rare.
- If it is in the middle of a two-turn move such as Fly, it may leave Hyper Mode on its own, though this is extremely rare.
- It may do nothing at all.
- It may return to its Poké Ball, even if it's under the effect of Mean Look.
- Items cannot be used on a Pokémon in Hyper Mode, with the obvious exception of colognes.
- The panel that indicates the Pokémon's name changes.
Ending Hyper Mode
Hyper Mode can be ended by either calling to a Pokémon in battle, using a cologne on it, leaving it at the Pokémon Day Care, or recovering on its own. Doing this will "open the door to its heart" a bit and bring it closer to being purified. Some Shadow Pokémon respond to this better than others, based on their natures (even if the heart gauge isn't sufficiently empty to discover the Shadow Pokémon's nature), even going so far as to have a whole fifth of their heart gauge cleared just by calling it out of Hyper Mode.