Talk:Strong Jaw (Ability)
Biting move category.
Seeing this is like Iron Fist and Punching moves, we should probably make a "Biting moves" category. But I'm guessing that would be more likely to happen after the release of X and Y, so I might be jumping the gun a bit because of Crunch being the only confirmed one so far. ----NateVirus(Talk|Contributions) 18:24, 25 September 2013 (UTC)
- It'd be nice, if the template allowed for the inclusion of Power/Accuracy/PP as well. Dettalk 15:37, 3 February 2014 (UTC)
- Bug Bite and Hyper Fang are both hidden because Tyrant and Tyrantrum can't learn those moves, meaning someone will have to swap the Ability onto Pokémon that can. It seems that MisterE13 did so for Bug Bite and put it in the category when he made it but forgot to put it over here (or didn't want to). glikglak 20:02, 7 March 2014 (UTC)
- Well, it should be added. Sheer force mentions moves none of the users can use, but are still affected. And what of super fang, etc? Jabberwockxeno (talk) 15:39, 23 March 2014 (UTC)
I have a way of proving Strong Jaw would work on Hyper Fang/Bug Bite.
Okay, there are more than a few ways of proving that Strong Jaw works on Bug Bite/Hyper Fang. I exclude Super Fang since it will merely cut an opponent's HP in half (Ghost-types excluded unless Scrappy is present). I will point at least three of these to you.
The OR/AS Method:
- That, of course, means you're going to need 3 Sketches, and you'd also need to find 3 Pokémon that can learn these moves.
- However, Tyrunt/Tyrantrum can only be traded over from X/Y after reviving a Jaw Fossil; Sharpedo can be obtained through raising a Carvanha to Lv. 30 or can be caught at Route 118 and Route 119 by fishing with the Super Rod.
3. Have the Smeargle use Skill Swap on the Tyrunt, Tyrantrum, or Mega Sharpedo. Smeargle should now have Strong Jaw.
- Before that, however, first use Bug Bite/Hyper Fang on an opponent to use as the "Before" effect.
4. When Smeargle's turn has arrived, have it use Bug Bite and/or Hyper Fang.
- Now, compare it to before Strong Jaw had been traded with Smeargle's Technician, Own Tempo, or Moody. Has Hyper Fang and/or Bug Bite done more damage than before? If so, Strong Jaw does indeed apply to Bug Bite.
The X/Y Method:
1. Like in the first step of the OR/AS Method, you're going to have capture/trade and then train Smeargle to learn 3 Sketches, and find 3 Pokémon with Skill Swap, Bug Bite and/or Hyper Fang.
2. After doing this, you'll need to have a Tyrunt or Tyrantrum with Strong Jaw.
- Obviously, Mega Sharpedo does not yet exist in X/Y.
3. Have Smeargle Skill Swap its' ability with Tyrunt's/Trantrum's Strong Jaw.
- Before that, once again have Smeargle use Bug Bite first for the "before" effect.
4. Once Smeargle has acquired the Strong Jaw ability through Skill Swap, use Bug Bite/Hyper Fang.
- Now, compare the damage to before Smeargle using Skill Swap.
Venomoth/Bug Bite only Method (It's a lot faster in OR/AS, however):
1. Capture/Trade over a Venomoth; it can learn both Skill Swap and Bug Bite.
- For X/Y, Venomoth is found on the Bug-type Friend Safari.
- For OR/AS, Venomoth are found on certain Mirage Islands, which can be found by Soaring with Mega Latias/Latios.
- However, it can only learn Bug Bite and Skill Swap through breeding Female Venomoth with a male in its' Egg Group that knows both moves in X/Y; for OR/AS, you simply have to tutor Venomoth Bug Bite for 4 BP and Skill Swap for 8 BP, equaling 12 BPs altogether, at the Battle Resort.
2. Go into a Double Battle, have one of the three Pokémon (Tyrunt, Tyrantrum, or Mega Sharpedo.) right beside Venomoth before starting the Double Battle.
3. After going into Battle, have Venomoth use Bug Bite on the first turn.
- See Step 3's footnotes of the last two methods for why.
4. Then, on the second turn, have Venomoth use Skill Swap on the Pokémon with Strong Jaw.
- On the third turn, assuming it's strong enough to survive, use Bug Bite once more, and see if there is any notable difference in damage.
Well, I've done the Skill Swap theory.
And it turns out that Bug Bite w/Strong Jaw does more damage than Bug Bite without it. Now, I just need to test this on Hyper Fang, but if what people say about Strong Jaw and Hyper Fang working is true, then that would be unnecessary.IM-T-MAN2 (talk) 22:07, 4 January 2015 (UTC)
Bearing in mind how Mega Launcher affects Heal Pulse, are we absolutely certain beyond a doubt that Super Fang is unaffected? I've noticed many users not bothering to test Super Fang here. Sneaking from page to page... It's the page-editing purple ghost... Gengarzilla! 21:49, 2 January 2016 (UTC)