Every page on a MediaWiki site, like Bulbapedia, not only has information to show you but also allows you to move to other pages. This is called "navigation".
To help you navigate, every page on Bulbapedia has three main navigation elements:
- The sidebar gives you access to important pages in the wiki such as recent changes or upload file. MediaWiki requires you to log in before seeing all of the sidebar options.
- Links (often called tabs) which relate to the page currently displayed: its associated discussion page, the version history, and – most notably – the edit link.
- User links; as an anonymous user, you'll see a link to create an account or log in. As a logged-in user you have a collection of personal links, including ones to your user page and preferences.
In addition to the standard navigation elements that each page has, a page will have its own unique information which appears in the larger main area of the page. Generally within this information will be links to other pages.
This page mainly documents the MonoBook and Vector skins. Appearances may be different when using other skins.
The sidebar is displayed on the edge of the page below the site logo (if using the MonoBook or Vector skin). This sidebar gives you access to important pages in the wiki such as Recent Changes or Upload File.
Clicking on the Bulbapedia logo brings you back to the main page of the wiki. The links in the navigation section just below will take you to important pages of the wiki, as well as the Bulbawiki area of the Bulbagarden Forums.
- See: Help:Search
The tools section contains a selection of links which change depending on what type of page you are viewing.
- On all pages (except special pages)
- "What links here" takes you to a special page that lists the pages on that wiki which contain a link to the current page. This is helpful when you are looking for pages of related information. The "What links here" information can also be useful when you are refactoring wiki pages and need to check whether links to this page are still relevant after changes in the current page.
- The "Related changes" tool lists all recent changes in the pages linked to from the current page. Recent changes to all relevant template pages are included in the resulting page list. The "Hide minor edits" option that can be set in the user preferences applies, among other things, to "Related changes".
- "Permanent link" provides a link to the current revision of the page.
- "Page information" provides metadata about the current page.
- On all pages (including special pages)
- "Upload file" redirects to a special page on the Bulbagarden Archives that allows logged-in users to upload images and other files to the wiki. Uploaded files can be linked from or embedded in wiki pages. More information can be found at a:Help:Uploading images.
- The "Special pages" tool lists the MediaWiki special pages. In MediaWiki terminology, a special page is one that presents information about the Wiki and/or allows access to administration activities for the wiki. For example, a list of users registered with the wiki, statistics about the wiki such as the number of pages and number of page edits, system logs, a list of orphaned pages, and so on. The content of these special pages is generated automatically when the special page is loaded. The function and use of the default special pages can be found at Help:Special pages.
- "Printable version" automatically creates a printer-friendly version of the current page.
In other languages
On many pages, the sidebar includes links to articles on the same topic in different langauges. These articles are from other wikis that are members of Encyclopædiæ Pokémonis.
The page tabs are displayed at the top of the page to the right of the site logo (if using the MonoBook or Vector skin). These tabs allow you to perform actions or view pages that are related to the current page. The available default actions include: viewing, editing, and discussing the current page. The specific tabs displayed on your pages depend on whether or not you are logged into the wiki. On special pages, only the namespace tab is displayed.
- Default for all users
- "namespace" (page, help, special page, template, user page etc.)
- "edit" (will read "view source" if logged-out, the page is in the MediaWiki: namespace, or the page is protected)
- Extra tabs for logged-in users
- "move" (only autoconfirmed users can move pages)
The user links are displayed at the top far right of the page (if using the MonoBook or Vector skin). These tabs allow the logged-in user to view and edit their user page and wiki preferences. Additionally, the user links allow the user to quickly access their contributions to the wiki and logout.
For anonymous users the user links are replaced by a link to the wiki login page.
- "Server time"
- This displays the current time in UTC. Clicking this allows you to purge the server cache, and force the most recent version of the page to appear. (Monobook skin only)
- This links to your user page which is where you can put information about yourself, store bits of information you want to remember or whatever else you fancy.
- This links to your discussion page, where people can leave messages for you.
- Allows you to change your personal site preferences.
- A list of all pages that you are watching. Pages can be added to this list by clicking "watch" at the top of the page.
- A list of all contributions you have made to the wiki.
- "Log out"
- Click this link to log out of the wiki.