Bulbapedia talk:Project VA
First order of business
Which ones are notable?
- You know, I was actually just going to bring this up?
- As I've stated elsewhere, I don't think we need anywhere near the amount of international VA pages that we have. I can see somebody like Rodrigo Andreatto or Gilmara Sanches keeping their articles, as they have many roles that don't include solely Pokémon. However, when you get into people like José Parisi Jr., you begin to have problems. It's not just the international VAs, either. Ones like Phillip Bartlett (sorry about that), Kelly Davis and Diane Stillwell I fail to see the notability of. Especially considering Stillwell hasn't, to our knowledge, done additional voices. She played one role in one special and was replaced.
- When I create a VA article, here are the criteria I try to use; 1) Did they voice more than one character in the anime? 2) Have they voiced characters in other series? 3) Is there reason to believe that they will be back? I also have two optional pieces I consider: 4) Is a photo of them available? and 5) Do they have a website or external link? Not sure if we should adopt this policy on creating articles or not, but that's how I do it. --PAK Man Talk 13:58, 2 October 2008 (UTC)
I would like to join. I keep in contact with both Sarah Natochenny and Emily Jenness and talk to them frequently. I have talked with a few others as well. ----HoennMaster 18:27, 7 October 2008 (UTC)
Could I possibly join too? I would happily fix up all the pages and look over them to make sure of no error. Thanks! –MasterKenobi 03:55, 23 August 2009 (UTC)
So what are we qualifying as notable? More then one appearance?
----HoennMaster 03:02, 22 October 2008 (UTC)
- Basically. Or at least one important appearance. This would strictly apply to the Japanese VAs since there are literally hundreds. --ケンジのガール 03:09, 22 October 2008 (UTC)
OK, so I just had this new idea that could be very nice, and increase the traffic to VA articles: navigation templates that link them to each other. There are two ways I can think of that we can do this: the first is by languages (as in, "Voice actors in the Czech dub of the Pokémon anime", "Voice actors in the Norwegian dub of the Pokémon anime"), the other by characters (as in, "Voice actors who dub Ash Ketchum", "Voice actors who dub Misty"). I think if we do this, though, we need to pick only one of the two. What do you think? --electAbuzzzz 10:34, 26 May 2009 (UTC)
- I like the idea of splitting the International voice actors into separate groups. I'm not so sure about Voice actors who dub Ash though. It's kinda already listed on the characters page. --ケンジのガール 04:15, 27 May 2009 (UTC)
Okay. I'm surprised no one ever thought to update this. If anyone comes across an article that claims they work for PUSA, change it to TPCi. The company name changed, as most of you are aware. -- Vhayes1992 19:46, 22 August 2009 (UTC)
Voice Actor corrections
Hi! Um, I'm not sure where I should post this... But I've been talking to Tom Wayland. Apparently, he's been on Bulbapedia and he's noticed there is a lot of casting information that is wrong.
Okay, here's the correct information.
"Mr. Backlot is N. Ronald Levine, not David Brimmer.
Rebecca Soler is Prof. Carolina, not Emily Jeness.
Ax Norman was Alberto in Movie 10, not Kai.
Sean Reyes was Kai in Movie 10, not Baron Alberto. He was also Kellyn (the Ranger), not Scottie Ray. Scottie was the bad guy in those eps.
Rich McNanna is Yuzo, not Sean Reyes.
I (Tom Wayland) was Kato in Movie 12, not Tim Werenko. I was also Arceus - but someone apparently fixed this one recently."
And after giving me this list he said, "I'm sure there are more, but that's a start".
Anyway, I'll let you know if Tom Wayland gives me another list. And I hope someone can fix this soon and give the proper voice actors credit. ^^ --PokemonTrainerLisa 16:52, 21 January 2010 (UTC)
Um, because I don't know anything about editing stuff like this. I mean, how many articles need to be corrected? 10? 12?
I was hoping someone here would be able to fix it, someone who's had more experience with Bulbapedia than I have. But, I suppose if I have to fix it, I could...but I would need help from someone, because I'm such a noob at this. I mean, everything on Bulbapedia has to be done a certain way, and I'm afraid I would mess something up (which is why I wanted someone else to do this). --PokemonTrainerLisa 11:22, 22 January 2010 (UTC)
Thank you!! I appreciate it. ^^ --PokemonTrainerLisa 07:30, 25 January 2010 (UTC)
I am trying to edit the page for a VA on the American dub (Alyson Leigh Rosenfeld), but it says it is protected by admins..... Help?
Shoegal 19:23, 26 January 2011 (UTC)
- I protected it because she is not notable enough for her own article. --ケンジのガール 03:09, 27 January 2011 (UTC)
She will be a recurring character in the upcoming season - will it become unprotected then, or will only admins be able to edit the page?
Shoegal 14:02, 29 January 2011 (UTC)
- She will be a recurring character in the upcoming season -- Proof? --ケンジのガール 21:46, 29 January 2011 (UTC)
Adding "VAs with psuedonyms" Category?
I would like to suggest a new category of "Voice actors with psuedonyms (false names)" be added. This would correct some errors that some people believe exist with a few people like Eva Kaminsky (Bella Hudson) and Pete Capella (who records under the name of Craig Blair). Would that be a good idea? We can use the Voicechasers website as a basis. Kojirojames2006 2:00 PM US EDT Sept 10 2010
Adding a VA Page
Hi, I joined because I wanted to help out the project and flush out some of the pages for notable characters. More specifically, I wanted to add a page for Barry/Jun's Japanese seiyuu since it is a notable role as a recurring rival character that's probably the most prominent since Gary Oak that was also in-game. Plus the VA himself is starting to get more notable in his own right as of late. I mean, he has more appearances than Ritchie and Takayama Minami still got her own article. However, when I tried to go make the page, the links just forward me to his name mention in the master Japanese VA list. I'm still kind of new at Wikis so maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I'd like to add the info if possible.--Yileikong 18:06, 21 June 2011 (UTC)
- You have a point. That page was redirected to the voice actor list. But if you scroll back up the page, you will see a tiny link near the top that says "Redirected from ...." If you click on that link, it will take you to the redirect itself. Just click "edit" and you'll be set. --ケンジのガール 21:14, 21 June 2011 (UTC)
Unknown DuArt-era characters
I have a question. What are we supposed to do about characters in the DuArt era of the anime if we don't know them and have gone unknown for a while? I know we can't guess unless it's a Pokémon. サトシ101 (talk) 23:15, 29 October 2012 (UTC)
I'm just gonna say this bluntly. I hate the use of this phrase. It's not linked so someone who doesn't know what a seiyu is has to work it out for themselves, and Japanese seiyu sounds redundant to someone who knows that "seiyu" is generally used to mean "a person who voice acts in the Japanese version of an anime". I think it should either be written similarly to how the English voice actors are, or it should just be "is a seiyu" without the Japanese there. --It's Funktastic~!話してください 22:45, 25 March 2014 (UTC)
- I'm generally of the opinion that a Japanese word has no business being used where there's an entirely serviceable English equivalent. Like you say, some people may not know Japanese well enough. But even if it were linked, why should they have to follow that link to figure out the word when we could just be saying "voice actor/actress" in the first place? I don't know of any appreciable difference between "seiyu" and "voice actor". "Seiyu" should never be used (alone) on this site; we should be using "voice actor" or "voice actress". Tiddlywinks (talk) 03:16, 26 March 2014 (UTC)
- I agree with that sentiment, which is probably what my biggest problem with the use of "seiyu" is. Voice actor/voice actress generally describes the concept perfectly fine, and it's weird that the two types of articles have such different introductions. It's weird to me. --It's Funktastic~!話してください 04:18, 26 March 2014 (UTC)
About making a page
Hi, I'm planning to make a page about Takehito Koyasu(and maybe Yosuke Akimoto). I believe that both of them are relatively notable with Koyasu being Butch and Akimoto as Dr Fuji. So are those two notable enough to have their own pages? Also is there a way to upload images for VA pages as I'm under the impression that images are uploaded from the archive and only put up by ranked users. Thanks.Nikuriku (talk) 09:45, 27 May 2017 (UTC)
With Twilight Wings not being part of the main anime, and Pokemon games actually incorporating voice acting (Detective Pikachu, Masters), can we expand the project scope to reflect that? Silver and Ethan are getting voiced in the new Legendary Event, and I think we can work together to find out who is voicing them, especially as more characters come in--KnightGalarie (talk) 06:45, 30 April 2020 (UTC)