Please remember to follow the manual of style and code of conduct at all times.
Check and Bulbanews for up-to-date Pokémon news and discuss it on the or in our IRC channel #bulbagarden on irc.systemnet.info.
Hack games section
I noticed you recently undid the edit to the Hack games page including all of Drayano's work. While He may not be a "famous" ROM hacker, he is certainly noteworthy in some way on this wiki. This guy's done more work than Zel in recent years, and his hacks are amazing. There must be someway to include his stuff with a bit of rewording. Schiffy (talk) 15:07, 22 March 2013 (UTC)
- First of all, let me just say that I'm a bit surprised that you've sent this message to me, considering that you're not the person who made the edit, although looking at the talk page for the article, I've seen that you are very much a strong supporter of this ROM hacker's work to the point of encouraging that he gets a mention in the article. Also, just to let you know, I'm not against his work being mentioned here despite my unfamiliarity with him but I found the way he was mentioned on the page to be unacceptable for that article.
- The reasons why I undid that edit Wolfy made was that, for one, the edit was clearly made in good faith as you really wanted Drayano's mention on this page. Heck, some of the text read more like it was written like it was a blogger promoting some niche thing on the Internet than a noteworthy piece of information written in a neutral point of view. Two is that I personally question what makes this person notable; yes, he did a lot of hacks that people like you find very enjoyable, but the same can be said for anyone who does anything for whatever medium. (e.g. An artist who made a lot of paintings that observers find very good or a programmer who made several computer programs that users find useful.) There are most likely others like him that make a lot of ROM or ISO hacks that overhaul different games to make some unique experiences, but they still may not be notable in this field unless they achieve something that makes them stand out from the others. (As written on the article, "Due to their nature, there are an uncountable number of hacks available on the Internet, so this article will limit itself to only the most notable ones.")
- Also, your mention of Zel as having not done as much as Drayano in your comment does not help your argument. Zel is only mentioned by name once in the entire article, but he still did something noteworthy by hacking FireRed to make it more like a remake of Gold and Silver, and he did this before HeartGold and SoulSilver were made.
- Lastly, the biggest reason was actually that the way the edit was made defied the formatting set by the article. The Hack games article is made to point out individual hacks (or pairs of hacks) organized by video game platform; the hacks are mentioned in subsections within major sections of game platforms. (The only exception to this being a typical "External links" section.) A major section dedicated to a single hacker was not in following of this article's format and was unacceptable in any case.
- Now to reevaluate the case of whether or not any of Drayano's work is noteworthy of a mention here on Bulbapedia, I will say that looking back at the previous edit and the comment section you made on the Hack games talk page, at least one of his hacks probably deserves a mention on the article. If the mention that he is the first ROM hacker to release a complete hack of Black and White is true, then that is definitely notable enough to have a subsection of the hack in question on the article (and as an added bonus, this would also warrant a new section made for Nintendo DS hacks).
- So with that, if you want to mention him on the article, then mention Blaze Black and Volt White and their sequels (and for now only those hacks; we don't need everything he did) in a single subsection on the page (within a new "Nintendo DS" section), and try to put more emphasis on the hacks, not the hacker. Write it a neutral point of view so it doesn't seem like it was made in good faith and as a bit of a reminder, do not directly link to the website where the hacks can be found; Bulbapedia does not allow any URL links to fan games or hacks. BulbaPediaAid 05:36, 24 March 2013 (UTC)
- Yeah, all I was really going for when I first mentioned it on the article's talk page was about BB/VW (and 2, possibly). Wolfy's edit was, I agree, a little too much. I was just hoping for some kind of middle ground. The comment on Zel, however, was more off-handed than anything, so pay that no mind if you will. I mainly think this would be a good way to simply start off a DS section, with more to be added as people find new ones. Schiffy (talk) 07:11, 24 March 2013 (UTC)
- That's much better. It's a little lengthy of an entry compared to the other games, partly because of the sequels' paragraph being included, but it's better nonetheless. I've did only a few minor edits, mainly moving the entire new Nintendo DS section above the NES section. Anyhow, good job. BulbaPediaAid 23:03, 8 April 2013 (UTC)