Talk:Poison Touch (Ability)
Variation of Poison Point
It seems to have the same effect; does it vary at all, and even so, would it still count as a variation? --AndyPKMN 19:46, 7 October 2010 (UTC)
Based on the description in the section that says 'Battle Effects', I thought that it made all contact moves have a 30% chance of poison, which doesn't sound like a variation of poison point. Can someone with Black or White confirm this? Poisson14 17:26, 16 October 2010 (UTC)
First, if the name is confirmed ignore this. I know other fansites aren't reliable sources, but doesn't "Poison Hand" fit the effect and the pokemon who can have it better?
- We thought about that; however, Poison hand doesn't sound like much of an ability name, does it? We went with a more appropriate translation that fits closer grammatically. MaverickNate 15:40, 18 October 2010 (UTC)
Already poisoning effect?
What will happen when a move does already has an effect that makes poison?
For example Gunk Shot has a 30% chance of poisoning the target. So with Poison Touch is it then
- still 30%
- only 20%
- now 50%
- or stacked to 44%?
And what is with Poison Fang? Poison Fang has a 30% chance of badly poisoning the target. So with Poison Touch is it then
- still 30% of badly poisoning
- only 20% of normal poisoning
- or both 30% of badly poisoning plus 20% of normal poisoning or what else??
--- Pokémon Questions? -- 08:08, 24 February 2012 (UTC)
- Nothing happens. Once a Pokémon is poisoned by a move, poison touch will have no effect until the Pokémon is cured.--ForceFire 11:48, 24 February 2012 (UTC)
Yeah... Of course I know that a Pokémon can not have more than one status ailment like poison at the same time... What I mean is (when the target has no status ailment) what happens to the chance of poisoning? Are the 20% added or not or what? - Pokémon Questions? -- 12:04, 24 February 2012 (UTC)
All right, Poison Touch has a 30% chance. But what is about the thing I asked?? --- Pokémon Questions? -- 14:36, 24 February 2012 (UTC)
I doubt there are any special interactions between the ability and other poisoning moves. The move goes and has its chance to poison, and then the ability has its chance to poison if the move didn't. So if the move has a 20% chance, it'd be .3 + .2 - (.3 * .2) = .44, like you said. If the move badly poisons it'd be 20% chance of bad poison followed by 30% minus (30% * 20%). I think. Yamiidenryuu 18:05, 25 February 2012 (UTC)
- Hmm... I've simply noticed with my Seismitoad that it doesn't seem to matter if it is hitting with a poison move or not. However I would say that if it was dealing out a move with a chance of poisoning the foe that you would simply add 30% to it, simple math. Frozen Fennec 19:10, 25 February 2012 (UTC)
To add the 30% would be simple but no math. Meanwhile I know it for sure that this ability is giving the attack a second effect which activates after all other effects have done so far. So in the case of Gunk Shot it would be two times 30% (cumulative) = 1-(1-0.3)*(1-0.3) = 51%. --- Pokémon Questions? -- 20:18, 12 March 2012 (UTC)
- I'd imagine it acts the same as King's Rock / Stench. If the move already has a chance of inflicting the aforementioned effect, then the item/ability will do nothing. If a move already has a chance to Flinch, then neither King's Rock nor Stench will do anything (With the exception of Secret Power of course). - unsigned comment from V4Victini (talk • contribs)
Poison Touch Stacking
When a Pokémon, with the ability Poison Touch, uses with a Physical Poison-type move that also has a chance of poisoning the opponent, does the chance of poisoning stack?
Example, if a Pokémon has Poison Touch(30%) used the move Poison Jab(30%), foes that mean that that attack now has a 60% chance of poisoning the opponent?
- I think by "Physical" you mean that it makes contact. Not all contact moves are physical.
- Independent probabilities do not add like that. I think it would be a 51% chance to poison, but figuring out this sort of probability is always a pain, so I may have screwed it up. Tiddlywinks (talk) 13:10, 17 October 2016 (UTC)