From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
| Color Change
| Color Change
| Generation VI
| The Pokémon's type becomes the type of the move used on it.
Color Change (Japanese: へんしょく Color Change) is an Ability introduced in Generation III. It is the signature Ability of Kecleon.
Generations III and IV
When a Pokémon with this Ability is hit by a damage-dealing move (except Struggle and Shadow moves), Color Change will change the Pokémon's own type to the type of the move that it was hit by. Color Change does not activate if the Pokémon's substitute is hit.
Even if the Pokémon with Color Change has two types, it will only have a single type after the effect is applied. If a Pokémon with this Ability is hit by Weather Ball during shadowy aura, it will become Normal-type.
Color Change will activate after the first hit of a multi-strike move. Using Future Sight will turn a target Pokémon with Color Change into a Psychic type immediately, even though the move does not deal damage on the first turn.
Status conditions are inflicted before Color Change activates.
Color Change now activates after the last hit of a multi-strike move.
Outside of battle
Color Change has no effect outside of battle.
Pokémon with Color Change
|| First Ability
|| Second Ability
|| Hidden Ability
|| Color Change
| Please note that this is only 100% accurate to Generation VI games.
- For Generation III games, ignore Abilities introduced in Generation IV and Hidden Abilities.
- For Generation IV games, ignore Hidden Abilities.
- For Generation V games, ignore Abilities introduced in Generation VI.
In the anime
In the manga
In the Pokémon Adventures manga
- Color Change shares its Japanese name with a Pokémon Power which has a similar effect.
- Color Change was the first Ability demonstrated in the anime.
In other languages