Trainer Tokens are a form of virtual currency available in Pokémon Trading Card Game Online and formerly on the Pokémon.com website up to April 26, 2019. They are received as rewards, with no means of purchasing them with real currency.
Once earned, Trainer Tokens may be used to purchase virtual copies of Booster packs, Theme decks, and various gameplay items in the Shop. On Pokémon.com, they could be exchanged for virtual items for the user's Trainer avatar. Trainer Tokens earned in one location were subsequently available at the other location, though Pokémon.com and Pokémon TCG Online had various differences regarding updating a user's Trainer Token total in the other location.
Currently, users can have up to 25,000 Tokens stored in an account, with the game providing a warning when reaching 20,000 Tokens. While players can earn as many possible Tokens per day on PTCGO, users had a 15 Trainer Token weekly limit (starting at each Saturday 4:00 AM UTC) on the Pokémon.com website.
Earning Trainer Tokens
In order to earn Trainer Tokens, Pokémon.com website visitors must create a Pokémon Trainer Club account, which is shared with Pokémon Trading Card Game Online. User Trainer Token total was updated the first time the user logged in and every time a new page was loaded or reloaded, but not necessarily updated immediately upon receiving new Trainer Tokens.
Pokémon Trading Card Game Online players do not require a Pokémon Trainer Club account to earn Tokens, though not all features are available to guest players, such as the ability to use item on other devices. Tokens and other items earned as a guest player are carried over to a new account when creating a new one. The game updates the player's Trainer Token total as soon as the player logs in and as more Trainer Tokens are earned in the game. If players concurrently earned new Trainer Tokens on the Pokémon.com website, these would not be reflected in the Pokémon Trading Card Game Online until one of the two mentioned in-game conditions applied.
Trainer Tokens were earned in one of six ways on Pokémon.com up to April 26, 2019:
- Creating a Pokémon Trainer Club account and logging into Pokémon.com for the first time provided the player with ? Trainer Tokens.
- Logging into Pokémon.com daily provided a bonus of 12 Trainer Tokens after 12:00 AM UTC. This 12 Trainer Token reward might alternatively be granted by logging into the Pokémon Trading Card Game Online, whichever location was logged into first.
- Opening articles that are categorized as "pokemon-news" on Pokémon.com typically but not always earned 1 Trainer Token per article. While not all articles on the website earned Trainer Tokens, reading the same article on different language versions of the website would earn the user separate Tokens.
- Earning a new Stamp also earned the user 6 Trainer Tokens.
- Successfully playing browser-based games earned 1, 3, or 5 Trainer Tokens depending on the specific game and whether the user had successfully played the game for the first time or reached a higher success threshold on subsequent attempts. Each individual game defined what a successful attempt was differently. For more details, see Pokémon.com online games.
- Completing a Step-by-Step Pokémon TCG Tutorial (available up to March 2016) earned 1 Trainer Taken for each of the 12 Tutorials.
Pokémon Trading Card Game Online
There are six ways to earn Trainer Tokens in the Pokémon Trading Card Game Online:
- As the Daily Login Bonus on certain consecutive days (5, 10 or 15 Trainer Tokens)
- By successfully beating computer-controlled Trainer characters in the Trainer Challenge (1, 3, or 10 Trainer Tokens, only once per opponent difficulty).
- By successfully completing matches in Versus Mode with the first match each day earning an 11 Trainer Token Daily Match Bonus plus 1, 3, or 5 additional Trainer Tokens for all matches, as well as climbing the Versus Ladder.
- As a chance on a Bonus Wheel spin reward at the end of Versus and Tournament Mode matches (1 to 50 Trainer Tokens).
- By opening Tournament Chests.
- By completing a Daily or Special Challenge that has Trainer Tokens as a reward (25 to 55 Trainer Tokens for Daily, 200 to 1000 for Special)
- As a lower reward for ranking on certain Events Mode Tournaments (12 or 25 Trainer Tokens).
Using Trainer Tokens
Trainer Tokens can be spent on various items, typically clothing items, for a user's Trainer avatar. The cost ranges from 5 to 100 Trainer Tokens depending on the item, with 50 to 100 being the most typical range for individual items in a set. The Avatar Items available for purchase at Pokémon.com were typically not available for purchase in Pokémon Trading Card Game Online; items added in Pokémon.com were not always immediately available in Pokémon TCG Online. The Trainer avatar on Pokémon.com would adopt changes made in the Pokémon Trading Card Game Online the next time that user logged back into Pokémon.com and vice versa. The option to purchase Avatar items on Pokémon.com was also discontinued on April 26, 2019.
The following are currently available items in Pokémon Trading Card Game Online's Shop:
- Theme Decks cost 500 Trainer Tokens.
- 10-card Booster packs cost 200 Trainer Tokens.
- Limited available Card sleeves cost 300 Trainer Tokens.
- Limited available Deck boxes cost 100 Trainer Tokens.
- Avatar Item availability is limited and Trainer Token cost varies.
Most Shop items are untradeable, likely to prevent players from farming Tokens with multiple accounts. The Pikachu-Themed Collection Box is the only tradeable item obtained with Trainer Tokens, but as an Avatar Item with no effects on gameplay.
|This article is part of both Project Sidegames and Project TCG, Bulbapedia projects that, together, aim to write comprehensive articles on the Pokémon Sidegames and TCG, respectively.