The Pokémon Company
The Pokémon Company (Japanese: 株式会社ポケモン Kabushiki gaisha Pokémon) is a company responsible for the licensing and marketing of the Pokémon franchise, managing retail store operation, game software, card games, license management, TV animation and film, and other ancillary businesses. It is a joint venture by Nintendo, Game Freak, and Creatures.
The Pokémon Company was founded on April 23, 1998 as The Pokémon Center Company (Japanese: ポケモンセンター株式会社 Pokémon Center kabushiki gaisha) in order to manage the Pokémon Center stores in Japan. The current name was established in October 2000, which was when the company started its game-related business. In December 2000, it started managing the licensing of the Pokémon franchise as well.
Outside of most Asian countries, The Pokémon Company operates under its subsidiary The Pokémon Company International, which was founded in February 2001 as Pokémon USA and later merged in 2009 with Pokémon UK (itself founded in March 2003) to form the current single subsidiary. In Australia and New Zealand, the Pokémon franchise is managed by Nintendo Australia. In South Korea, the franchise is managed by Pokémon Korea, Inc., founded in August 2006.
- For Pokémon Center store offices, see Pokémon Center (store).
- Head office
- Roppongi Hills Mori Tower 18F,
6-10-1 Roppongi, Minato-ku,
- The Pokémon Company International
- 601 108th Ave NE, Suite 1600, Bellevue, WA 98004, USA
- 1st Floor, Building 4, Chiswick Park 566 Chiswick High Road, London W4 5YE United Kingdom
- Pokémon Korea, Inc.
- 4F HIDDEN HILL HOUSE, 26, Dosan-daero 59-gil, Gangnam-gu, Seoul, Korea
- Early chronology of Pokémon from the Nintendo Online Magazine's June 2000 issue (Japanese)