From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
- If you were looking for the unchangeable values that are used in the calculation of an individual Pokémon's stats that are sometimes referred to as genes, see individual values.
Gene (Japanese: ゲンゾウ Genzō) is the Club Master of the Rock Club (Japanese: ストーンクラブ Stone Club). He plays using the Rock Crusher Deck (Japanese: がんせきおとしデッキ Rock Tumble Deck) and gives away the Rock Medal to challengers who defeat him. In Pokémon Card GB2: Here Comes Team GR!, he uses the いわのうえにも３ねんデッキ Even 3 Years on a Rock Deck.
He admires Rock-type Pokémon for being hard and strong. He believes that they won't crumble under pressure. He calls weaklings "softies".
The Rock Club appears to be filled with sand and stone statues.
In Pokémon Card GB
He gives out two Mystery booster packs and a Rock Medal if the player defeats him.
- "I am Gene, the Master of the Rock Club! Rock is good...Isn't rock good, <player>...? Rock is hard and strong! Doesn't crumble under pressure! After you duel me, you'll know I'm right! Come! Show me what you're made of!"
- No: "I have no time for a softie like you! Come back here after you've hardened your nerve!"
- Yes:"Our duel will be played with 6 prizes! You won't get the Rock Medal unless you defeat me!"
- "Wonderful... Your persistence - persistence that can even break rock - has led you to defeat me! You are worthy of receiving this Rock Medal! And take this booster pack, too. ...And another booster pack: Mystery."
- "I look forward to the day we duel again!"
In Pokémon Card GB2
At the start of the game, Gene was approached by GR-1 when the player arrives, and unlike most of the other Club Masters, Gene was able to defeat GR-1 and successfully defend the Rock Club. Then the player is forced to have a battle with him in order to get the Kabuto Coin. He is available for 6 cards price-match battles anytime and gives out one Island of Fossil booster pack and one Beginning Pokémon booster packs when defeating him.
- Gene's deck in GB2, いわのうえにも３ねんデッキ Even 3 Years on a Rock Deck, is a reference to a Japanese proverb; even a rock could be warmed if one sat on it for three years. The proverb is meant to teach the value of perseverance.
- Gene has a strikingly similar appearance to Professor Oak. It is unknown, however, if the two are related.