From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
Standard Cup is a set of rules that can be chosen in Single Battle mode, Double Battle mode or Flat Battle mode at the Pokémon Communication Club Colosseum in Generation IV. Matches are conducted with single battles (1-on-1), with the exception of Double Battle mode. Flat Battle mode is only available in HeartGold and SoulSilver.
The following restrictions are observed in the Standard Cup:
- Only three Pokémon may be chosen.
- All Pokémon must be Level 50 or lower.
- In Flat Battle mode, Pokémon of any level is allowed as all Pokémon with levels above 50 will be reduced to 50.
- "Special Pokémon" may not be entered. This includes "Banned Pokémon".
- No two Pokémon in any one team may have the same National Pokédex number.
- No two Pokémon in any one team may be holding the same item.
The Double Cup follows similar restrictions as the Standard Cup, the only difference being able to choose four Pokémon instead of three. Matches are conducted with Double Battles (2-on-2), with the exception of Single Battle mode.