Check the Bulbagarden home page for up-to-date Pokémon news and discuss it on the forums or in the Bulbagarden Discord server.
|Mega Evolution Special II
Pokémon: Mega Evolution Special II (Japanese: ポケットモンスターXY特別編 最強メガシンカ ～Act II～ Pocket Monsters XY Special Episode: The Strongest Mega Evolution ~Act II~) is the second Mega Evolution Special and the second special episode of Pokémon the Series: XY. It first aired in Japan on November 6, 2014 and in the United States on February 7, 2015.
Other posters and logos
Alain and Mairin, along with their partners Charizard and Chespie, have just arrived in the Hoenn region as they continue their quest to unravel the mysteries of Mega Evolution. It isn’t long before they encounter another Trainer named Steven, and Alain can’t resist challenging him to a Pokémon battle. Steven unleashes his Metagross, who has the ability to Mega Evolve just like Charizard!
The exciting battle is interrupted when a Pyroar bursts onto the scene. It’s soon followed by its Trainer, Alain’s boss Lysandre, who owns Lysandre Labs in the Kalos region. He’s interested in collaborating with Steven, the Champion of the Hoenn region, to research the power of Mega Evolution and to harness that power for peaceful means.
Together, the group travels to an ancient ruin where Lysandre and Steven combine their research to discover a massive, glowing Giant Rock that resembles an immense Key Stone. Lysandre calls in his team of scientists via helicopter to begin studying their find, but their activities summon Rayquaza from the sky. Unexpectedly, this Legendary Pokémon Mega Evolves—without the help of a Trainer—and begins to attack the ruins!
Mega Charizard X and Mega Metagross battle back, but Mega Rayquaza launches a massive attack and flies away. In the aftermath, the group is surprised to see that the Giant Rock is missing. Based on Lysandre’s readings, he sends Alain to Rustboro City to track it down, and Steven and Mairin come along for the journey!
Following the discovery of an ancient tablet describing the Giant Rock, Alain and Mairin land in the Hoenn region to learn more about Mega Evolution. They make their way towards the ruins and trek through some foggy mountains. Mairin slips down a hill, landing awkwardly in tree only to helped up by Steven Stone. Alain is initially annoyed by the stranger's presence, but his attitude changes when he spots Steven's Mega Stickpin. Alain proceeds to challenge Steven to a Mega Evolution battle.
Steven accepts, calling out his Shiny Metagross. Alain summons his Charizard onto the field. The two Mega Evolve their Pokémon, becoming Mega Metagross and Mega Charizard X respectively. Mega Charizard unleashes a powerful Flamethrower attack, though Steven has Metagross use Psychic to send the attack towards the sky. Steven calls for a Flash Cannon, which scores a direct hit and lowers Charizard’s endurance stat. Charizard returns the favor with a Dragon Claw, only to be struck by a Meteor Mash in return. Charizard, however, emerged unscathed and launches a Blast Burn at its opponent. Mega Metagross remains standing in spite of the direct hit, to which Steven remarks that no one should underestimate him. Alain calls for another Dragon Claw while Metagross prepares another Meteor Mash. As the two are about to finish each other off, a Pyroar unleashes a Flamethrower and interrupts the two.
The Pokémon belonged to Lysandre, a businessman who owns Lysandre Labs in the Kalos region. He is revealed to be Alain's boss, and Alain tries to shut Mairin out of his affairs. While Alain goes to save Mairin from another hill fall, Lysandre reveals to Steven that he is interested in Mega Evolution and harnessing its energy for peaceful means. After returning to higher ground, Mairin asks Alain about his connection with Lysandre. In a flashback, Alain contacted Professor Sycamore about Charmander's evolution into Charmeleon. He was trying to find a Charizardite in some ruins and encounters Lysandre, who proposes him a deal: a Charizardite in exchange for his help. Before leaving, he tells Alain that he has to be the strongest.
Back in the present, Alain and Mairin follow Lysandre and Steven up to a mountaintop. Steven reveals that he traveled in search of stones as he was interested in Mega Evolution. He and Lysandre show to each other two different wooden tablets. One half shows the location of the gate and the other half shows the way to open it: a Mega Stone. Both Trainers take one pillar, revealing a stairway that leads to the mountain. At the top, they find some ruins in search of the Giant Rock. Steven and Alain find two daises and activate them with their Key Stones, revealing a crystal.
The group finally finds the Giant Rock. Lysandre talks in his communicator, and a helicopter flies in. A science team soon arrives and starts researching the power of the Giant Rock, and in the process the sky turns dark, and Rayquaza appears. A sudden glow engulfs it, and it Mega Evolves into Mega Rayquaza, awakening Groudon from its volcanic slumber and Kyogre from the ocean depths. Mega Rayquaza is in a rage, destroying everything in its path. Alain and Steven call out and Mega Evolve their Charizard and Metagross. Mega Charizard X fails to use Flamethrower against Rayquaza, and Metagross fails to attack as well. Rayquaza counters with Draco Meteor before flying off into the atmosphere. The ruins are left destroyed, Alain is injured, and the Giant Rock is gone. With Rayquaza on the loose, Lysandre instructs Alain and Mairin to head to Rustboro City and investigate after receiving a powerful signal of Mega energy near the area, with Steven tagging along. In secret, Lysandre instructs Alain to stay close to the Champion, as his knowledge of Mega Evolution may prove to be useful.
- Alain and Mairin arrive in the Hoenn region.
- Steven is revealed to own a Shiny Mega Metagross.
- Alain and Charizard battle Steven, but the battle is interrupted by Lysandre.
- Steven is revealed to have replaced Wallace as the reigning Hoenn League Champion.
- Alain is revealed to be working with Lysandre and Lysandre Labs, and to have received his Mega Ring and Charizardite X from him.
- Rayquaza attacks Alain and his company during their research, becoming Mega Rayquaza in the process.
- Alain and Steven attempt to battle Mega Rayquaza, but are quickly overwhelmed.
- Lysandre orders Alain to go to Rustboro City.
- For a list of all major events in the anime, please see the timeline.
- Metagross (Mega Metagross; Steven's)
- Rayquaza (Mega Rayquaza)
- Beedrill (Mega Beedrill)
- Pidgeot (Mega Pidgeot)
- Slowbro (Mega Slowbro)
- Steelix (Mega Steelix)
- Sceptile (Mega Sceptile)
- Swampert (Mega Swampert)
- Sableye (Mega Sableye)
- Sharpedo (Mega Sharpedo)
- Camerupt (Mega Camerupt)
- Altaria (Mega Altaria)
- Glalie (Mega Glalie)
- Salamence (Mega Salamence)
- Latias (Mega Latias)
- Latios (Mega Latios)
- Lopunny (Mega Lopunny)
- Gallade (Mega Gallade)
- Audino (Mega Audino)
TV episode debuts
- Pyroar (male)
- Steven Stone
- Professor Sycamore (flashback)
- Charmeleon (Alain's; flashback)
- Charizard (Alain's; Mega Charizard X)
- Chespin (Mairin's; Chespie)
- Aron (Steven's)
- Metagross (Steven's; Mega Metagross; Shiny)
- Pyroar (Lysandre's; male)
- Rayquaza (Mega Rayquaza; XY series)
- Kyogre (XY series)
- Groudon (XY series)
- Beedrill (Mega Beedrill; ending segment)
- Pidgeot (Mega Pidgeot; ending segment)
- Slowbro (Mega Slowbro; ending segment)
- Steelix (Mega Steelix; ending segment)
- Sceptile (Mega Sceptile; ending segment)
- Swampert (Mega Swampert; ending segment)
- Sableye (Mega Sableye; ending segment)
- Sharpedo (Mega Sharpedo; ending segment)
- Camerupt (Mega Camerupt; ending segment)
- Altaria (Mega Altaria; ending segment)
- Glalie (Mega Glalie; ending segment)
- Salamence (Mega Salamence; ending segment)
- Metagross (Mega Metagross; ending segment)
- Latias (Mega Latias; ending segment)
- Latios (Mega Latios; ending segment)
- Lopunny (Mega Lopunny; ending segment)
- Gallade (Mega Gallade; ending segment)
- Audino (Mega Audino; ending segment)
|Alain||Jonathan Silver||Alain||Kenshō Ono||アラン||小野賢章|
|Mairin||Zoe Martin||Manon||Mikako Komatsu||マノン||小松未可子|
|Narration||H.D. Quinn||Narration||Hideaki Tezuka||ナレーション||手塚秀彰|
|Special appearances by|
|Lysandre||H.D. Quinn||Fleur-de-lis||Hideaki Tezuka||フラダリ||手塚秀彰|
|Steven Stone||Andrew Paull||Daigo Tsuwabuki||Kenichi Suzumura||ツワブキ・ダイゴ||鈴村健一|
|Professor Sycamore||Jake Paque||Platane||Hiroshi Tsuchida||プラターヌ||土門大|
- This special aired between XY049 and XY050 in Japan.
- Music from Genesect and the Legend Awakened is used in this episode.
- This side episode marks Steven Stone's first appearance since A Hole Lotta Trouble, 11 years prior.
- In the English dub, this marks the return of a former 4Kids voice actor, Andrew Paull, to the anime, reprising his role as Steven.
- This episode marks the first appearance of a number of Pokémon species in the anime after long absences:
- Charmeleon, who last appeared in Not on MY Watch Ya Don't!.
- Swampert, who last appeared in Leading a Stray!.
- Steelix, who last appeared in Last Call — First Round!.
- Lopunny, who last appeared in An Old Family Blend!.
- Camerupt, Salamence, Metagross, Kyogre, and Groudon, all of whom last appeared in Zoroark: Master of Illusions.
- Latios, who last appeared in The Semi-Final Frontier!.
- Latias, who last appeared in DPS02.
- If the player has Steven's Shiny Beldum, Steven Stone makes a nod to Alain and this episode during the Delta Episode in Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire. In that scene, he mentions an occasion, a long time ago, when he had the chance to meet and battle Rayquaza alongside a young Trainer who used a black Charizard.
- This cross-canon reference is repeated during the "Hearts United" story event in Pokémon Masters EX, where Steven mentions both the battle against Rayquaza from this episode and the Trainer who teamed up with him during said battle.
- Because Steven is stated by Lysandre to be the Hoenn Champion, it is implied that, at some point, he had taken the title from Wallace, who was stated in Our Cup Runneth Over! to be the Champion of Hoenn.
- Both times when Steven called out his Shiny Metagross, it didn't sparkle when it came out of its Poké Ball.
- In the flashback where Lysandre gave Alain the Mega Ring and Charizardite X, he refers to the latter as simply Charizardite.
- However, it's possible that he was just saying that it was a type of Charizardite without specifying which kind it was.
- In the Japanese version, Lysandre initially mistakes Mairin as Alain's girlfriend, while in the dub, he instead mistakes her as Alain's sidekick.
In other languages
|European French||Pokémon : Méga-Évolution 2 *|
Mega évolution - Episode Spécial II
|German||Pokémon: Mega-Entwicklung – Sonderfolge II *|
Mega-Entwicklung - Sonderfolge II
|Italian||Episodio speciale II della miniserie Pokémon Megaevoluzione *|
Megaevoluzione - Episodio Speciale II
|Korean||최강 메가진화 ACT II|
|European Spanish||Megaevolución. Episodio especial II|
|This episode article is part of Project Anime, a Bulbapedia project that covers all aspects of the Pokémon anime.|
- Mega Evolution Specials
- Pokémon the Series: XY episodes
- Episodes written by Atsuhiro Tomioka
- Episodes storyboarded and directed by Yūji Asada
- Episodes storyboarded by Yūji Asada
- Episodes directed by Yūji Asada
- Episodes animated by Masaaki Iwane
- Episodes animated by Izumi Shimura
- Episodes animated by Kanae Matsunaga
- Episodes by multiple animation directors
- Episodes focusing on Alain
- Episodes focusing on Team Flare
- Episodes in which a Legendary Pokémon appears
- Episodes in which an alternately colored Pokémon appears
- Episodes in which a Champion appears