Check the Bulbagarden home page for up-to-date Pokémon news and discuss it on the forums or in the Bulbagarden Discord server.
New Pokémon Snap
New Pokémon Snap (Japanese: New ポケモンスナップ New Pokémon Snap) is a spin-off Pokémon game for the Nintendo Switch. It is a sequel to the original Pokémon Snap for the Nintendo 64. The game was released worldwide on April 30, 2021, and is playable in nine languages: Japanese, English, German, Spanish, French, Italian, Korean, Simplified and Traditional Chinese.
It was announced during Pokémon Presents on June 17, 2020. Free DLC was released on August 3rd, 2021.
New Pokémon Snap is nominated for the Best Family game in The Game Awards 2021.
Become a Pokémon photographer!
Spot Pokémon in their natural habitats and catch'em on camera!
Get your in-game photos scored by the professor!
Create your very own Pokémon Photodex!
You can edit your photos and share them with the world!*
New Pokémon Snap is a photo-snapping game exclusive to Nintendo Switch systems.
*Nintendo Switch online membership required. See below for details.
The player is asked by Professor Mirror to photograph Pokémon in their natural habitats across Lental, an archipelago region with a variety of different ecosystems. The professor and his assistant Rita guide the player across the islands of Lental and inform about the research team's ecological survey. Phil, a boy who recently arrived in Lental and has a rivaling relation toward the player, also joins the research team.
When arriving at a research site, the NEO-ONE vehicle (Japanese: ネオワン号) will automatically steer along the route, allowing for the player to take photos in all directions. There are various tools available that interact with the environment. Fluffruit (Japanese: ふわりんご Fluffy Apple) can be used to catch the attention of nearby Pokémon. Additionally, the player can use Illumina orbs (Japanese: イルミナオーブ), items developed by Professor Mirror and related to the Illumina phenomenon unique to the Lental region. Illumina orbs can sometimes create unusual effects, such as changing the color of fire that Pokémon emit to blue instead of red. The player also has the option to play a melody (Japanese: メロディ) and search the surroundings (Japanese: サーチ). As courses are being researched, their research level (Japanese: 調査レベル) increases, allowing for Pokémon to exhibit different expressions and behaviors.
Pictures of Lental's wild Pokémon are evaluated with one to four stars by Professor Mirror, indicating how rare the behavior displayed is. One picture from each star category can be added to the corresponding page of the Photodex, an album designed to display photos and additional information of wild Pokémon. Photos taken during expeditions can also be saved to a personal album that is distinct from the Photodex. These photos can be edited in terms of brightness, blur, zoom, and other aspects, or added stickers, frames, and filters. With a Nintendo Switch Online membership, photos can also be shared online, and awarded Sweet! Medals (Japanese: りんごメダル Apple Medal) by other players.
Taking a picture of a female Hippowdon to register in the Photodex
- Main article: List of Pokémon by Photodex order
At launch, the game featured 214 different Pokémon. 20 more species were added in the 2.0.0 update, bringing the total up to 234.
Gaming magazine Famitsu gave New Pokémon Snap a score of 34 out of 40. IGN rated the game a "Great" 8.0/10. It holds a rating of 79% on Metacritic, based on 112 critic reviews.
As of September 30, 2021, New Pokémon Snap has sold 2.19 million copies outside of Japan.
- Main article: Staff of New Pokémon Snap
|Professor Mirror||Ben Lepley||Prof. Kagami||Ryotaro Okiayu||カガミ博士||置鮎龍太郎|
|Rita||Anairis Quinones||Rita||Manami Numakura||リタ||沼倉愛美|
|Todd||Griffin Burns||Toru||Kappei Yamaguchi||トオル||山口勝平|
|Phil||Erica Mendez||Phill||Makoto Koichi||フィル|
|Version||Release date||Official note|
|1.0.0||April 27, 2021||N/A|
|1.1.0||April 29, 2021||Several issues have been addressed in order to create a more comfortable play experience.|
|1.2.0||May 26, 2021||Fixed an issue preventing the player from taking a picture of Braviary that would satisfy the clear requirements for the "Proud Warrior" request.|
|2.0.0||August 3, 2021||
- Shroomish is present during the footage of the game, despite the fact it is not available in the final version of the game.
- It was, however, added via DLC.
- According to the game's director, Haruki Suzaki, there had been past attempts to make a Pokémon Snap sequel.
- Multiple pictures of scenery from Secrets of the Jungle are seen on the wall of Professor Mirror's laboratory, including the Milyfa Town Pokémon Center, the Great Tree in the Forest of Okoya, and the Biotope Company building. One of the game's loading screens describes these as landscape photographs taken by Rita that are from an unknown region other than Lental. In turn, Rita makes a cameo in the movie along with Phil.
- In Mexico, New Pokémon Snap is the first video game released to feature a rating from the newly established Mexican video game content rating system. It received the “A – Todo Público” rating, which is functionally equivalent to the ESRB’s “E for Everyone”.
In other languages
- ↑ Best Family | Nominees | The Game Awards.
- ↑ Famitsu review scores - May 19, 2021 - Nintendo Everything
- ↑ New Pokémon Snap Review - IGN
- ↑ New Pokémon Snap for Switch Reviews - Metacritic
- ↑ Financial Results Explanatory Material - 2nd Quarter of Fiscal Year Ending March 2022 - Nintendo Co., Ltd.
- ↑ Nintendo Support: How to Update New Pokémon Snap
- ↑ How to Update New Pokémon Snap | Nintendo Switch | Support | Nintendo
- ↑ 『New ポケモンスナップ』更新データ（Ver.1.1.0）配信のお知らせ｜ポケットモンスターオフィシャルサイト
- ↑ 『New ポケモンスナップ』更新データ（Ver.1.2.0）配信のお知らせ｜ポケットモンスターオフィシャルサイト
- ↑ Is New Pokemon Snap getting DLC? Pokedex leak sparks speculation - Dexerto
- ↑ New Pokémon Snap interview | Metro News
- ↑ 石原社長＆須崎Dに聞く『New ポケモンスナップ』開発秘話。写真を撮ることがより手軽になった2021年、ゲームデザインは前作からどう進化したのか？ - ファミ通.com
|This article is part of Project Sidegames, a Bulbapedia project that aims to write comprehensive articles on the Pokémon Sidegames.|