Talk:Ancient Mew (The Power of One promo)
It serves no earthly purpose, but I've been able to translate some of this card. If the entire card can be translated, I will add the translation to the article. Maybe this had been translated before; but if so, why isn't that translation in the article? Here goes:
- M, E, and W are all easily identifiable from the card's name.
- A, K, N, and S are all identifiable from Weakness (WE---E--, but it's clearly Weakness), on the left.
- P, C, and I are all identifiable because the text below the attack name is NEW S-E--ES... New Species. C is ', meaning the attack name has six letters... PS-C-E... Psyche?
- R and T are identifiable from Resistance (-ESIS-ANCE, but it's obvious anyway), on the left.
- O is identifiable from RETREAT C-ST (Retreat Cost), near the bottom. This also confirms almost all the other symbols I've translated.
- The symbols used for HP do not appear to correspond with the other symbols. The second one (P in English) does not match the P found in the attack name and in New Species. It makes sense, therefore, for the first (H) to not match the possible H in the attack name.
- The text following New Species does NOT appear to be Pokémon. Here's the incomplete translation: -ITT-EKO-...**EYI-
- Notes on the above: The third-to-last symbol before the ... is smudged on the article image, but I dug up my own ancient Mew and checked it. The Y after the ... is still unsure, since the attack name may not be Psyche. The two asterisks are smaller characters that may or may not be part of the same symbol set or word. The second one bears a resemblance to R. The ... may be symbols.
- Final notes: The card's type is Psychic, and the attack requires two Psychic energies. The card's HP is probably 100, since only one digit is unlikely. Is this is the case, the attack's power is 1--, possibly 10-. The card is weak against Psychic and resistant to nothing. This card's retreat cost is 2.
If you can help translate more (especially the incomplete word below the attack name, I get the feeling I'm missing something that could be obvious) or notice a mistake I've made, please say so. LordArceus 01:48, 12 November 2009 (UTC)
- I'm not sure what all the difficulty is in deciphering this card, but you've put a lot of work into it and pretty much figured it out. I guess the article has most of it by now, but just in case here is all that I can make out (minus the numbers because they are some made up runes that I don't understand)
- Mew (clearly legible in younger futhark)
- HP (on the right before the triangle, which appears to be a number)
- Psyche (the power - I had a little trouble with this at first because the runes are slightly different, but that is definitely what it says)
- New Species (in the middle right under the line)
- "Little god ... or evil" (right below that, just as it says in the article)
- Retreat cost (below that under the line. the cost appears to be two energy of any type)
- Weakness (above the triangle on the left)
- Resistance (above the triangle on the right)
- This is all relatively legible if you understand how to read the varieties of runes used here. My only uncertainty is the numbers. The article says that the attack damage and the HP are both 40, but they are clearly different on the card. There are only two digits shown, a triangle (I will write X) and a boxy thing (I will write Y). The attack damage given is XY, and the HP given is X. If we assume that the attack is indeed 40, then the HP must be 4 (an impossible HP) unless the numbers work in a way I don't understand. It could be that they are written Japanese-style (using 10 instead of 0) and written backwards, so that it has 10 HP, but that is purely conjectural. -WurdBendur 09:49, 14 July 2010 (UTC)
- You are 100% correct... where did they get that "Birth, Enthronement, Right of Succession and Death." part? Piotr mil 22:33, 7 August 2010 (UTC)
I had always assumed that the numbers were something more like roman numerals so that the HP would be (triangle) and the attack would be (triangle + vertical thing), which I assumed to mean 50 HP and 60 power because that's more reasonable than any other actual roman numerals interpretation(L and LX in roman numerals). But the actual values could of course be different. The Golux 01:28, 29 October 2010 (UTC)
I recently learned both elder and younger futhark, and after looking at the card, I realized there was one small error in the translation. The text says "Little cat... or evil", not little god. The first letter is the younger futhark k sound rune. The second is the a sound rune as in hat, but drawn in a different style. (Two lines vs. one but still slanting upwards) Finally, the last rune is the short twig younger futhark rune for t. Thus, "Kat" or cat. This makes sense as the people who discovered the new species might have thought "Awww, what a cute kitty", then realized it to be possibly evil. I think people were interpreting the a in the word as a as in awe, because of the two lines making it look like the awe sound rune. However, the lines are slanted upwards, not downwards, so it must be the a as in hat sound. BMVC 05:56, 5 August 2016 (UTC)
Nice work to LordArceus. It uses the Medieval Runes. Is there a possibility of the border having a message in it?No one on the corner got swagga like Mpcamel1729...modified from Paper Planes by M.I.A. 01:11, 17 December 2011 (UTC)