From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
Zinnia (Japanese: ヒガナ Higana) is a Trainer from Hoenn. Zinnia is described as a mysterious Draconid woman and a special person who holds the key to the Delta Episode post-League story of Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, on a trip to accomplish her objectives.
Zinnia uses Dragon-type Pokémon in battle, including a Salamence she can Mega Evolve into Mega Salamence using her Mega Anklet. She also travels with a female Whismur nicknamed Aster (Japanese: シガナ Shigana). She is the only character in the games to have the Trainer class Lorekeeper (Japanese: でんしょうしゃ Lorekeeper).
In the games
Zinnia makes three cameo appearances prior to the Delta Episode, disguised as a Team MagmaOR/Team Aqua GruntAS. She is first seen after the player exits Petalburg Woods on the way to Rustboro City. Her second appearance is on Mt. Chimney with two other Team Magma GruntsOR/Team Aqua GruntsAS battling ArchieOR/MaxieAS. Her third appearance is during the montage cutscene in Mossdeep City after the player saves Hoenn from Primal GroudonOR/KyogreAS.
After the player defeats Steven and becomes Champion, Zinnia is shown in a cutscene discarding her team's uniform. She then meets the player at their home before breaking into Professor Birch's home and stealing Brendan/May's Key Stone. Later, when the player visits Granite Cave looking for a Meteorite Shard on Steven's request, she appears studying the cave's ancient painting. After a short conversation, Zinnia asks to battle with the player.
At the Meteor Falls, while looking for a Meteorite Shard, the player and Steven learn from an old Draconid woman that Zinnia joined Team MagmaOR/Team AquaAS and manipulated them in the hopes of having GroudonOR/KyogreAS resurrected in order to call Rayquaza back to the world to destroy the meteoroid, being fully aware of the fact that her actions would risk the lives of many people and Pokémon. However, as the player had managed to stop the super-ancient Pokémon, she had been forced to change her plan.
Zinnia makes another appearance at Mossdeep Space Center, listening in on Professor Cozmo's plan to send the oncoming meteoroid to another dimension using technology powered by the Meteorite Shards. Believing this plan will doom the world of another dimension to destruction, she destroys the device, then steals the Key Stone from the head of the team she had joined and challenges the player to meet her at the Sky Pillar.
After the player secures permission to enter the Sky Pillar from Wallace, Zinnia explains the lore of the Draconids as they ascend the tower together. At the top floor, she uses the stolen Key Stones to summon Rayquaza to the Sky Pillar, but her plan fails when Rayquaza does not Mega Evolve despite her efforts. Just as she falls into despair, the Meteorite the player has been carrying for much of the game activates and is consumed by Rayquaza, granting it its missing power. Once the player has captured Rayquaza and added it to their party, Zinnia teaches it Dragon Ascent, then challenges the player to one last battle.
Once the player has gone into space with Mega Rayquaza, destroyed the meteoroid and battled Deoxys, Zinnia disappears from the Sky Pillar. She leaves behind a note with Aster thanking the player for their help. Later at Meteor Falls, her grandmother tells her that she should find her own purpose in life now that she is freed from her lifelong duty. She agrees and leaves her Salamencite with the player before departing. Zinnia's whereabouts after this point are unknown.
Additionally, when fighting ArchieOR/MaxieAS at Mt. Chimney, Zinnia is seen with a Poochyena, however, its relationship with Zinnia is currently unknown.
- "...This is the Petalburg recon team checking in. I'm afraid I have to begin with an apology, Ms. CourtneyOR/Mr. MattAS... It's not good news... It's not good news... The mission is a no-go... A little something cropped up and got in the way... ...Roger that. ...Got it. Will do. I'll continue investigating that energy we detected."
- "... ...Phew!"
- "But that kid sure had some promise as a Trainer, I'd say."
- "The energy contained within Mt. Chimney! And the power of the Meteorite! We in Team MagmaOR/Team AquaAS are gonna get it all for ourselves! Wa ha ha ha!"
- "... Looks like I won't be needing THIS... Hiyyup!"
- "Phew! That's sooo much better! Ooooh, I feel so free! That uniform got pretty stinky after a while! And all sweaty, too!"
- "Ohhh, my adorable little Aster! ♪ Are you that happy to see me looking like myself again, hmm? ♪ Ahhh, you're just too darned cute! Like always!"
- "But there's not much time left for us. It'll only be a matter of weeks... ...No. Days. Things have gotten a bit tricky now, since that kid managed to stop one of the super-ancient Pokémon from being revived like it should've been. Not that it's a really big deal. I've already thought of a new plan. If I just tweak a bit with a Key Stone, one with plenty of THAT built up..."
- "I swear I'll protect you. ...Aster."
- "Huh? Whoa! Are we in sync or what! You know, I was just thinking about you! It's great to meet you! ...It is our first real meeting, right? Yeah. That's right. Of course it is! The name's Zinnia. And you... Well, I know ALL about you. You're <player>, of course. You're the new Pokémon League Champion! And you're one of those special few who use Mega Evolution to get even closer to their Pokémon... Now, aren't you?"
- "OK, I know, I know. I'll leave it alone. Look, I'm stopping! But this sure is a ni-i-i-ice place, isn't it? Littleroot Town. And everybody living here is just so ni-i-i-ice, too. Like that neighbor of yours. ...Oops! So-o-o-rry. I didn't mean to go on like that. We should keep our first meeting short and sweet, don't you think? Until next time, then. Buh-bye!"
- "Hm, hm, hm. Well, seems like it's true. It really is just like the wall painting there. This one shows Primal Reversion... While that one shows Mega Evolution... I guess that proves it once and for all. Our great ancestors once lived here, too. The ancestors who passed down through me the knowledge of how to protect the world... How to avert the threat that will appear from space, as long was foretold... From a place higher even than the heavens..."
- "What is it, Aster? Oh?"
- "We do seem to meet an awful lot, <player>. Are you also interested in this old painting? Or are you here for the other? For one of the Meteorite Shards that can serve as a source of power for the Legendary Pokémon that lives in the heavens above. Either way... You know I adore you. That's it! I can't help it! I have to battle you! I'll play nice, though, and ask first... You're ready to battle me, right?"
- Yes: "That's my boy/girl!"
- No: "Fine, fine. I ge-e-et it. I'll wait. I want to see you at your best, y' know. So go get ready!"
- "Now let's do it! Give me a good taste of everything you and your Pokémon have to offer!"
- "Yes! That's it! That's just what I was looking for!"
- "Niiice! Real nice, <player>! Ohhh, I really felt that one! Full points to you! That settles it! You get this Meteorite Shard as a reward!"
- "That glittering Meteorite that you've got there... Hmm... It's sure giving off some vibes. I'd keep a tight hold on it if I were you, along with that shard I just gave you."
- "... Hey... The actions that you're taking now... Are they based on the ideals you cling to? Or are they based on actual truths? And if they are... How much of the truth do you think you know?"
- "Yes, ma'am! Moving out! Such a spoiled girl you are, Aster... So what'll be our next stop, hmm, sweetie?"
- "Nice! So this is the heart of the famous Space Center everyone talks about! Pretty impressive, huh, Aster?"
- "Oh? Where's the harm in it? Don't be such a stick-in-the-mud! ♪"
- "Oh me, we do seem to keep running into one another. You are a busy boy/gal, <player>."
- "Me? I'm Zinnia. Just your regular ol' tourist, nothing more. Dreaming of taking a little trip into space... Heh. Oh, I seeeeee... So this is what has come of human technology and of hope and blood and sweat and tears and... Well, the list gets kinda long and boring. But it contains everything, huh? I know all about it. About just what kinda energy you're using to fuel this rocket thing... The abominable technology humanity first thought up 3,000 years ago... So you're once again planning to claim that this is best for humanity, or best for the whole darn world... It's a snap of your fingers to repeat the sins of the past. Worse, if what I overheard is true... This time, you're about to commit an error more abominable than before!"
- "Ahahahaha! What's up with that? You're a pretty simple guy for a former Pokémon League Champion. Then I guess I'll hang my hopes on what our current Champion will have to say. So how about it, <player>? What do you think? Do you have some better idea?"
- You bet I do!: "Oooh! Really? Well, that's promising... You'll have to tell me so we can set these guys straight."
- I've got nothing: "Really? Too bad. Guess I was expecting more than I should have from you. Hey, that's fine, though. That's pretty normal."
- "Look, I'm not here to criticize the way you guys are looking at this. But I want to be sure you've thought this through well and good. You know, there are necessary sacrifices, and there are unnecessary sacrifices. What a disappointment! This is the best you could do with all your knowledge and technology? Instead of trying to make something outta nothing, you'd rather repeat the mistakes of the past, straight up? No, you're gonna add new mistakes on top—that really takes the cake. You guys need some imagination."
- "Oops! But you were all in the middle of a conversation or something, right? Sorry about that. I guess we'll just let ourselves out, then. C'mon, Aster."
- "Nice one, Aster!"
- "The Draconid, yup. Or you could just call me Zinnia. Aster!"
- "Thank you, dear. Now then... That is an impressive machine. Snap your fingers, the asteroid vanishes, and we all live happily ever after? Ahahahah! Indeed! It's like that former Champ said! This thing is the best hope we have of saving this planet and everything on it. But you know... It could also be the worst tragedy imaginable for some other world and everything on it."
- "I'm not talking to you. You don't get it."
- "But you, <player>... Hope for our world... Tragedy for another... You get it, don't you?"
- I do: "And you come through again! You never disappoint me."
- I don't: "I suppose not. I'm not that surprised. It's pretty normal you wouldn't."
- "My people know it. From generation to generation, we pass along the lore about the distortions in the world borne by the Mega Evolution mechanism. And about the existence of another world, which we have long observed to be just like this one and yet not the same... That's right. A Hoenn region that's almost exactly like this one we live in. Filled with Pokémon and people like us. A world where maybe the evolution of Pokémon took a slightly different path, where Mega Evolution is unknown... A world where that war 3,000 years ago...never happened. A world where the ultimate weapon was never even built. And in that Hoenn of that world... What would happen if one day, out of the blue, a meteoroid appeared? What would happen to the people of that world, without the technology to destroy the meteoroid or the power to warp it away? ... Looks like it's beyond the power of your imagination."
- "Calm down there, Prof. It'll be OK. I... We... We can protect this world...and the other."
- "Oh yeah! Silly me... I forgot the other thing I came for."
- "And that's the Key Stone gotten... Now I'll put it together with the Key Stone they've got in their base..."
- "Looks like my next appointment is calling, so I'll excuse myself now. Later!"
- "All right! And the winner is Zinnia!"
- "Oh, oh, what's this? Aren't you a happy girl, Aster? ♪ Just what I'd expect of my daughter! We're so in sync! Ahahaha!"
- "Who am I? That's a surprisingly difficult question. ... I couldn't become who I was supposed to be, so who does that make me now? ... Haha! Whatever, right? Enough with the introspection and the soul searching... You there! <player>! Don't just stand there like a stick in the mud. Come on over and say hi."
- "Isn't it obvious? He's/She's the hero/heroine, right? Here to save the world again. Oops. But looks like he's/she's a bit too late this time. If only you'd been here just one minute earlier!"
- "All right. I'd say this Key Stone is mine. We finally got everything, Aster."
- "Now we can do it: The summoning. We will summon Rayquaza! Well then, looks like my job here is done. So don't mind me while I excuse myself. Oh. <player>? I really hope you'll come chasing after me, you know? We'll be heading to that ancient tower, sealed since primal times, the Sky Pillar. If you don't know what that is, well, ask that former Champ of yours. He'll know what I'm talking about. See you there!"
- "So you came for me. Thanks for that. That's really good, <player>. I really feel it, right here. Mm-hmm..."
- "Since you've been a good boy/girl, I think I'll give you something I've been keeping."
- "Look... The paintings that cover the walls of this tower... See, these are the history of humanity, of Pokémon, and of nature itself. They're the tales that have been passed down by my ancestors, the Draconids, for thousands of years. And now...I will pass that history and lore on to you.
- "Thousands of years ago, in the primal age long lost, the world was overflowing with natural energy. Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre fought over that energy in endless, furious clashes."
- "In the face of Primal Groudon and Kyogre's great power, people could do nothing. The only choice was to watch as disaster upon disaster swept over them. It was in such a time that a great many meteoroids poured from the darkness of space, from a place higher even than the heavens. And the meteoroids fell in their multitude upon a waterfall that had long been home to a tribe of Dragon-type-Pokémon users..."
- "...OK! That's it! That's the end of the first chapter of my tale."
- "I'll tell you the next part of the story on the next floor. Look forward to it!"
- "Oh! Here you are!"
- "Let me continue. It's finally time for chapter two. Here we go!"
- "At last, right? Hah! I know you're thrilled."
- "The meteors shone with a rainbow brilliance, as if some great life was held within."
- "That was when, as if drawn by the brilliance, a Pokémon that shone in a blazing emerald hue descended from the heavens... That Pokémon was none other than Rayquaza. Rayquaza's power overwhelmed that of the two Primal Pokémon, and peace returned to the world. The people of Hoenn revered Rayquaza as a true savior. A thousand years after this time, the meteoroids once again fell. A huge meteoroid, far greater than any before, struck the planet, boring deep into the ocean and leaving behind it a crater larger than any other. The land born of this event later become known as Sootopolis."
- "And that is it! Chapter two is over! But we've only just left the starting line. There's a long way yet—don't fall behind now!"
- "Now, our tale reaches the best part. Sootopolis was born from a great meteoroid strike."
- "The great meteoroid was the first of many disasters to befall humanity. When it punched into the planet, the land cracked beneath it, and a great welling of natural energy poured from beneath Hoenn. Thirsting for that energy, Primal Kyogre and Primal Groudon once again woke.
- "The people had a wish—a memory from a thousand years before... They wished that the Legendary Pokémon clad in emerald light would appear again. The huge Meteorite that lay at the heart of Sootopolis gave off a boundless brilliance. In its brilliance, it resembled a vast and powerful Key Stone. And once again, Rayquaza descended from whence it came in the heavens. The people fell to their knees before Rayquaza and made a wish for salvation. As they did, a great change came over the Legendary Pokémon. It was enveloped in blinding light. As the light receded, they beheld a Rayquaza beyond all knowledge— a sublime figure, incandescent with overwhelming life force. It was humanity's wish that brought about Rayquaza's transformation in the face of the rainbow stone... Yes... A wish... An intangible thing, invisible to the eye. Yet this wish bound people and Pokémon together, enabling the Legendary Pokémon to change its appearance... Doesn't it remind you of something? That's right... It sounds like Mega Evolution, doesn't it?"
- "And how did the story end? After being transformed by the wish of the people, did Rayquaza save them from disaster?"
- "Rayquaza once again confronted Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre. The golden filaments that sprang from its body covered the sky. An emerald brilliance illuminated the area. A terrible wind rose."
- "The wind and emerald light visibly sapped the power from Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre. Drained of their primal powers, the two vanished into the depths of land and sea. Rayquaza watched them go, regaining its usual appearance. Then it soared back up into the heavens where it dwelled. A witness to this series of events, a tall visitor from a distant land, said, “It is the Δ (Delta), born of the great disturbances in this world. By the bonds born of mankind's wish and the power of the stones, it will calm the troubles that plague the world.” That was when the Draconids constructed their great tower, to hold the rainbow stone that had granted Rayquaza its power, and to try to get a little bit closer to Rayquaza in the heavens above. To record the history of their trials and the great feats of mighty Rayquaza for all to know, they left behind the murals you see here."
- "A giant tower... And paintings of the past... You know, I feel like I've seen something like that recently. Heh. But now, I suppose it's time for the last chapter in our tale."
- "At last we reach the final chapter..."
- "A thousand years of peace followed after that disastrous time. But the Draconid people, learning from their long history's cyclical nature, foretold that the meteoroids would fall on this land again. The meteoroid to come, they prophesized, would be far greater than those that had come before it. This meteoroid would be great enough to break the world forever..."
- "In order to prevent this great calamity, those who held the knowledge of the past arrived at a plan. Their plan was to invoke Rayquaza, the great savior, and summon it to this land before the meteoroid could strike."
- "And that's it. That's the end of our... of the Draconids' tale. I spent a long time thinking about how I could protect the happiness of as many people as possible. What I must do, as one who holds both the knowledge and the power... One who bears the heavy wishes of those who could not...live up to that fate... Well, I had to be really creative, you know?"
- "... See that, Aster? You always wanted to watch them, right? The Litleonids. A million glittering stars falling from the sky... The show is about to start."
- "Aren't we happy now? Yes, what could be better, dear Aster? Ha ha..."
- "... Welcome to the Dragonhark altar. <player>. You know what I am trying to do here by now, don't you? That's right. I will summon Rayquaza to this world to destroy the meteoroid headed for Hoenn. That is my... It is our duty.
- "Ever since I was a little girl, I have always turned my eyes up to the sky. When I was so full of uncertainty that I felt my heart might be crushed by it... When I was so grief-stricken and alone I thought my heart might break of it... I turned and looked up there... so that my tears would never, ever fall. What about you? Have you ever had to do something like that?"
- I have: "Right..."
- Never: "Ahaha! You're just too honest! Don't you know that you're supposed to agree, and then we'd share a touching moment of pain?"
- "... I used to watch the stars like this all the time... Together with Aster. We were always together. In good times and in bad. I loved her. I loved her with everything I had... But I still lost her."
- "... Hahaha... ... I want to see her... I want to be with her again... My sweet Aster..."
- "I will, won't I? With this... Just a little longer..."
- "Guess I should say good morning?"
- "You slept well, didn't you? You look so adorable when you sleep. Sorry about the knocking-you-out thing."
- "... Enough. I think it's time I gave it a shot. "
- "I'm sorry...for all the trouble I caused you. If something happens to me... Please... Take this little one..."
- "... ... ...OK. Here I go."
- "“With jewel bright and borrowed might from the spirits of the departed... Through sacred rite, in thy great sight, my life as well I offer...”"
- "...Ugh...ngh...gh... “I summon thee...to aid...this fight... and save us...from disaster!” Realize them...upon this world...! For this I do summon thee!"
- "I did it! I...I did it!"
- "Now the world...will be saved! Aster... Aster, I did it!"
- "Great Rayquaza! Hear my wish! Achieve your Mega Evolution! Take hold of your true power! Show me your true face! The Rayquaza that will save this planet!"
- "Huh?! H-how can this be?! I gathered all of the Key Stones that could withstand your great power... and summoned you here... You came... And yet... Why?!"
- "Come on! Do it! Mega Evolve! Why?! Why won't you..."
- "It can't be... The one without enough power...is you, Rayquaza?"
- "The Meteorites that should lie within Rayquaza's great body...aren't enough? Have these thousand years drained them of their power?"
- "This...can't...be... I can't... I... I... Everything...I've done...till now..."
- "Aster... I can't... I can't take any...more..."
- "What? That Meteorite?!"
- "It's just like...a Mega Stone?!"
- "Swallowing meteorites allows it to store as much power as a Mega Stone. Your Meteorite summoned forth the power needed for Rayquaza to Mega Evolve!"
- "Hah! It's amazing!"
- "<player>! Rayquaza is trying to build up power... It wants power for itself to take you on! Use everything you've got and win over Rayquaza! You have to master it! This is the Legendary Pokémon that all Hoenn views as as our great protector! And the only one who can direct it now... It's you! You have to do this!"
- "If you need a Poké Ball, I've got one!"
- If talked to before facing Rayquaza
- "<player>! Rayquaza is trying to build up power... It wants power for itself to take you on! Use everything you've got and win over Rayquaza! You have to master it!"
- If the player defeats or runs from Rayquaza
- "Rayquaza is trying to build up power... It wants power for itself to take you on! Use everything you've got and win over Rayquaza! You have to catch it!"
- "Is it...over?"
- "... Congratulations, <player>. And...thank you."
- "History has chosen you... The truth remains that Rayquaza chose you and not me... But... While I don't know how to put it into words exactly... I think I understand why... ...You will be successor to our long history now. And I pass to you the final key to Rayquaza's true power. The move that only it can learn: Dragon Ascent..."
- "...That's it, then. I guess...it's time that I do my last task as Lorekeeper. You have obtained Rayquaza's power for your own... Now I will have you prove to me that you can master that power... in battle! That is my final... The final duty of the last Lorekeeper of the Draconid people! Show me that you can exceed it—the entirety of history that we have clung to until today!"
- "...Phew. ... My pulse... I can feel it racing..."
- "...Yes. I'm feeling...totally...pumped!"
- "This is it!!"
- "Just like I'd expect of you, <player>..."
- "...I guess...it falls to you now..."
- "That settles it, then..."
- "<player>, you should even be able to beat that meteoroid that's approaching the planet. You and Rayquaza...together. I am leaving this task to you, our new Successor. Successor <player>. You and Rayquaza must protect nature...Pokémon...the people..."
- After destroying the meteoroid, in a letter
- "“I was finally able to bring everything to an end. I thank you for that. I think I'll spend some time now trying to find out if it's also possible to forge a new beginning for something once lost. Until we meet again,
- "It's over... It's all over..."
- "... ... Yes."
In the manga
Zinnia in Pokémon Adventures
In the Pokémon Adventures manga
Zinnia debuts in the Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire chapter. She is first seen at the Sky Pillar, where she encounters Ruby on his ascent of the tower. Declaring him to be an intruder, Zinnia attacks Ruby with her Salamence. By tricking Aster with Pokéblocks, Ruby is able to lure Zinnia out enough to grab and pin her to the ground. Ruby then reveals that he knows who Zinnia is and asks that she tell him about the upcoming crisis about to hit Hoenn. Zinnia refuses to answer and has her Salamence fire an attack to force Ruby to get off of her. She then uses her Mega Anklet to have her Salamence Mega Evolve into Mega Salamence. With Salamence's stronger powers, it regains the advantage, but Ruby counters by having Latios Mega Evolve as well. Ruby eventually manages to defeat Zinnia's Salamence, and reveals that he's aware that he encountered it before. Zinnia realizes that Ruby must be the person who defeated her Salamence nine years ago when she attempted to free Rayquaza from the Pokémon Association.
Zinnia congratulates Ruby's battling skills and agrees to tell him everything she knows. Zinnia reveals that in nine days time, a meteorite will hit the planet, destroying it and its inhabitants. She also reveals her hatred for the Devon Corporation due to its choice in using science and technology to prevent the meteorite from falling. As she prepares to leave to focus on her mission to stop the meteorite, Zinnia thanks Ruby for his assistance in freeing Rayquaza.
| Aster (Japanese: シガナ Shigana) is Zinnia's first known Pokémon. It was first seen at the Sky Pillar with Zinnia and watched as Zinnia battled against Ruby. Ruby exploited Aster's taste for sour-flavored Pokéblocks to lure it out in the open. When Zinnia tried to get Aster to come back, she was left wide open for Ruby to pull her out of hiding and reveal herself. It has a Relaxed nature.
None of Aster's moves are known.
|| ヒガナ Higana
|| From 彼岸花 higanbana (red spider lily) and 彼岸 higan (nirvana; literally means the other shore). The red spider lily is portrayed as the "flower of heavens" in Buddhist scriptures. However, it is also known as 死人花 shibitobana (flower of the dead) in Japan and symbolizes "sorrowful memories" in the language of flowers.
|| From Zinnia. The flower symbolizes remembrance of a dear friend.
|| From Amaryllis
|| From Amaryllis
|| From Lycoris
|| From Tristagma and the name Tristan, meaning sorrowful. In the Arthurian legend, Tristan was a knight who had slain a great serpent.
|| 피아나 Piana
|| From 피안화 (彼岸花) Pi'anhwa, red spider lily
|| シガナ Shigana
|| From 此岸 shigan (mortal world; literally means this shore)
|| From Aster. Starts with the letter 'A' to contrast with the letter 'Z' in Zinnia.
|| From Amaryllis (Zinnia)
|| From aveline (French for hazelnut)
|| Palindrome of Lyris (Zinnia)
|| From the plant genus Felicia and the name Felicia, meaning happy
|| 치아나 Chiana
|| From 피아나 Piana (Zinnia) and 차안 (此岸) cha'an, mortal realm