From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
| Seeing the Forest for the Trees!
The Bewildering Woods... The Dawn of Evolution!
|| May 26, 2016
| United States
|| August 27, 2016
|| Team Kato
|| 冨岡淳広 Atsuhiro Tomioka
|| 冨安大貴 Daiki Tomiyasu
| Assistant director
|| 渡辺正彦 Masahiko Watanabe
| Animation directors
|| 夏目久仁彦 Kunihiko Natsume
| 直井由紀 Yuki Naoi
| Additional credits
Seeing the Forest for the Trees! (Japanese: 迷いの森・・・進化の夜明け！ The Bewildering Woods... The Dawn of Evolution!) is the 121st episode of the XY series, and the 920th episode of the Pokémon anime. It first aired in Japan on May 26, 2016 and in the United States on August 27, 2016.
Ash is alone in the forest after losing at the Snowbelle Gym. Serena tracks him down, but they end up in a shouting match, and she runs off after angrily telling Ash to start acting like himself again!
Soon, a snowstorm sets in, and Ash takes shelter in a cave with some frightened Pokémon. He gets into trouble while trying to help a stranded Spewpa—but Greninja shows up just in time, and then shifts effortlessly into Ash-Greninja to rescue Spewpa!
When our heroes reunite, Ash promises not to overdo it again—a promise Greninja soon has to enforce when Ash learns the Kalos League is coming to Lumiose City!
After losing to Wulfric during the previous episode, Ash is sitting alone in the Winding Woods, thinking about his recent defeat. Nurse Joy reveals to his friends that his Greninja also ran away, though she tells them that its strength was back to normal after its defeat. They don't know where Greninja went, but Serena guesses that it ran off to find Ash. Tired of waiting, Serena decides to find Ash herself. Bonnie asks her brother if Ash will be back, with Clemont responding that there's no need to worry. Pikachu releases Talonflame, Hawlucha, and Noivern from Ash's belt and asks them to find Ash, as he is worried about him. Meanwhile, Team Rocket is spying on Ash and wondering what is up with the twerp, and figured this will the perfect time to capture Pikachu. Greninja is also thinking about its recent battles and defeats, and wondering what it did wrong. Serena finds Ash in the woods, and ask if the latest gym battle is what was bothering him. She tells him that she understands from her experience from the contests, only for Ash yelling at her that she doesn't know how he felt and wanted to be alone. This gets Serena upset with Ash, and throws snowballs at him, saying that the Ash she knows always tries his best and never gives up. She ran off crying after the argument, as she wanted the real Ash back. This causes Ash to realize what Serena was talking about, and decides to get back into the Pokémon Center. Unfortunately, he rolls off the side of the mountain, getting lost in the process.
Pikachu and Ash's other Pokémon are still searching for their missing owner, and Bonnie is now wondering where Serena vanished off to, though she came back after her brother noticed. Serena was still upset with her scuffle with Ash, with the siblings wondering why she is huffy. Nurse Joy tells the group that a snowstorm is coming through, and they need to get back. Pikachu asks Serena about saving Ash, with Serena reluctantly agrees to help out. So everyone except Clemont decided to go out into the forest to find Ash, with Clemont saying he needs to get his backpack. While searching for Ash, he stayed inside a cave for shelter. But things got worse when Team Rocket showed up to capture Pikachu. Pikachu defended himself by shocking them using Thunderbolt, though all it did was giving them a tickle. The trio decided that getting Pikachu isn't really worth it, as his shocks aren't as powerful and Giovanni wouldn't be too happy. Serena and the group found Pikachu, but they saw that the storm is getting worse and they need to find Ash very soon. Squishy detected a Zygarde Cell and ran off to find it, with Pikachu following its trail. However, the cell vanished off, though the group found a cave nearby thanks to it. Serena felt regret from scolding Ash earlier, and tells the group that she really admired Ash and didn't want to see him down. Clemont tells that they all admired Ash, and they'll continue looking for him after the storm dies out.
Meanwhile, Ash is resting in a cave when he noticed a Oddish, Budew, Sentret, Zigzagoon, and Scatterbug out in the cold, and tells them that they can come inside, as he is friendly and is warm inside. He gets a instant flashback memory of his younger days, as this reminded him the time he offered some wild Pokémon shelter. Squishy decided to find Ash while the group were sleeping, though Pikachu notices a sound. Just as Ash was relaxing, he noticed a group of Spewpa sitting on as tree branch out in the cold, and decides to rescue them. Greninja meets up with Squishy and points out where Ash is heading. Ash was just about to rescue the last Spewpa when the branch breaks off, making them both fall off, though were rescued thanks to Greninja. Ash was glad to see it, but it was short lived when the Spewpa fell off. Greninja transforms into Ash-Greninja and was able to rescue the falling Spewpa, thanks to Ash.
After the rescue, Ash stayed in the cave with Greninja and the other Pokémon and told Greninja about what happened prior to his Trainer days, similar to what happened earlier. When Ash got lost, he rescued some Pokémon before a rainstorm hit them, and stayed with them inside a tree until the storm ended. This was what inspired him to become trainer. Ash apologized to Greninja about what happened at the gym battle. He realized after spending some time, that a team is not someone who has to do it alone, but together. Ash tells Greninja that they should start their training again, as a team. Once the storm died down later, Ash and the group of Pokémon came out of the cave, with the group of Spewpa evolving into Vivillon, and they flew off into the sky. The duo later found Serena and the others, and rejoined afterwards. Ash apologizes about leaving and before Serena could do the same towards Ash, he thanked her for snapping some sense into him. Squishy was happy, and contacts the other Zygarde Cells about Ash and Greninja's combined teamwork. But that gets interrupted with Team Rocket trying to get Pikachu, though that was stopped thanks to him and Greninja. Surprisingly, they were happy that a full throttle Thunderbolt blasted them off, as Pikachu is back in full strength.
The next morning, the group found out that the Kalos League will be held in Lumiose City. Just as they're about to leave, Greninja offers its Poké Ball to Ash, as a reminder of their friendship. Ash promised that they'll do better at the rematch. They're now excited to their eighth badge!
- For a list of all major events in the anime, please see the timeline of events.
Who's That Pokémon?: Oddish (US and international)
Pokémon Quiz: Scatterbug (Japan)
The title card segment focuses on Ash for this episode
- Poké TV: "Pokémon Unbelievable" focusing on Ash's Greninja and its Ash-Greninja form.
- In the Japanese version, no one reads the title card of this episode.
- Ash and Wulfric narrate the preview for the next episode.
- Ash's Greninja remains outside of its Poké Ball for the entire episode.
- A remix of XY&Z and an instrumental version of Team Rocket's Team Song is used as background music in this episode.
- Unlike in their white uniforms, this is the only time that Team Rocket has blasted off in their winter outfits.
- The backpack Ash wore as a child, as seen in the flashbacks, has the same color scheme as the one he used in the original series.
- The sound of a Mega Evolved Pokémon reverting to its regular form is used when Ash-Greninja returns to its normal form.
- This episode's dub title is a reference to the saying "can't see the forest for the trees".
- This is one of the few times where Ash lashes out at one of his friends. When Serena starts talking about her experiences from the Showcases she participated, Ash yells at her she doesn't know how he felt and wanted to be alone.
- In the dub, when Pikachu takes out Ash's Flying-type Pokémon's Poké Balls, Talonflame's voice is mixed together with Noivern's voice.
- The footprints in the snow does not add up to what has happened, and sometimes there no prints at all.
- After Ash gets up after falling over behind the log, there are no signs of him ever lying there.
- Like in Championing a Research Battle!, when Greninja gets ready to reach its final Ash-Greninja form, the star shape on its leg is cream instead of blue for a split-second.
- When Ash-Greninja is crouched down at the bottom of the mountain, the triangles next to its eyes are dark blue instead of white.
- When Ash reunites with Pikachu, the brim of his hat is colored red instead of white for a moment.
- When Jessie commands Gourgeist to use Dark Pulse on Pikachu, the tips of her third and fourth fingers are cut off when her arm is fully extended.
The coloring error on Greninja's leg
Jessie missing the tips of her third and fourth fingers
- The title card is read by Ash.
- An instrumental of Stand Tall is used as background music.
In other languages
|| Les plný stromů!
|| At se skoven for bare træer!
|| Door de bomen het bos niet meer zien
|| Metsän näkeminen puilta!
| European French
|| Quand les arbres cachent la forêt !
|| Den Wald vor lauter Bäumen sehen!
|| Ritrovare la diritta via nella foresta!
|| 방황의 숲... 진화의 새벽!
|| Å se skogen for bare trær!
|| Zupełnie nowe spojrzenie!
|| Vendo a floresta pelas árvores!
|| Não confundir a árvore com a floresta!
|| Ответы в заснеженном лесу!
|| Latin America
|| ¡Viendo el bosque a través de los árboles!
|| ¡Los árboles no te dejan ver el bosque!
|| Hur man ser skogen för alla träd!
|| ป่าแห่งความสับสน… รุ่งอรุณแห่งวิวัฒนาการ!
|| Büyük Resmi Görebilmek!