From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
Who's That Pokémon? (Japanese: だれだ？ Who is it?) is part of numerous episodes of the anime.
In the English dub it was originally used from Pokémon, I Choose You! to Watts with Wattson? and later returned in In The Shadow of Zekrom!, after almost seven years since the last time it was used. It occurs before and after the main commercial break during the episode. A silhouette of a Pokémon is shown, then the name of the Pokémon is revealed after the commercial break with the current main characters shouting the name of the Pokémon. When it returned in Pokémon: Black & White, it initially did not feature the Pokémon's voice after being revealed, although this returned in Triple Leaders, Team Threats.
Who's That Pokémon originally started out by featuring Pokémon who played a major role in that episode. In late Kanto is switched to featuring a Pokémon from the following episode. Some instances when this did not happen would be when the following episode was an episode featuring a Gym Battle, in which case it would usually be a random or Legendary Pokémon. When Johto League Champions began, Who's That Pokémon became random, with no way to predict who the Pokémon would be. Also beginning with that season, the dub added a short hint to the screen to aid in the identification of the Pokémon. When it returned in Pokémon: Black & White originally featured a Pokémon that played a prominent role in the following episode before quickly switching to a Pokémon with a prominent role in that episode in A Sandile Gusher of Change!
In the original Japanese version of the show it was used from Pokémon, I Choose You! to Hoenn Alone!. It almost always featured a Pokémon that played a major role in that episode. It ended at the end of the original series and was replaced in the Advanced Generation series with a generic eyecatch showing the main characters, which continued into Diamond & Pearl series and the Best Wishes series.
The very first Who's That Pokémon?
- In the Japanese version of Beauty and the Beach, the Dare Da? was Brutella.
- In the Dare Da? for the Japanese version of The Bug Stops Here, Jessie was dressed as a Venomoth. When the "Pokémon" was revealed, the narrator says "Venomoth", but the children shout "Incorrect!".
- In the dubbed version of the anime, characters will often say "Who's that Pokémon?" when an unknown Pokémon appears to reference this.
- Mewtwo has made two appearances with distinct voiceovers. Its first appearance saw Mewtwo saying its own name; in the second it said "Prepare to battle".
- It is not used in the UK airing of the Pokémon: Black & White episodes.
- Right on, Rhydon! is the only episode before Black & White to feature it in the Italian dub.
In other languages