From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
Volcanion and the Mechanical Marvel (Japanese: ボルケニオンと機巧のマギアナ Volcanion and the Mechanical Magearna) is the manga adaptation of the movie of the same name. It is adapted by 河本けもん Kemon Kawamoto.
Differences between the anime and the manga
- In the manga, Ash travels alone without his friends.
- Levi and Cherie don't appear in the manga, with their roles replaced by several unnamed assistants to Alva. Therefore, only Mega Alakazam, Mega Glalie, Mega Tyranitar, Mega Beedrill, Mega Manectric, and Mega Banette appear in the manga, under control of Alva, along with his Mega Gengar.
- Alva's staff has three Mega Wave jewels instead of one.
- Kimia and Raleigh don't appear in the manga. Without Kimia's vehicles, Ash has to travel on Volcanion's back, and later, with a jetpack.
- Team Rocket doesn't appear at all, making it the first time they haven't appeared in the manga adaptation of a movie.
- There are two Pokémon hunters, instead of one like in the movie.
- Magearna actively fights to protect the Nebel Plateau, before surrendering itself to Alva.
- The structure of the flying fortress's interior is completely different in the manga.
- Ash doesn't use any Pokémon other than Pikachu. This leads to a climax battle of two against seven.
- As Squishy is not in the manga, Nebel Plateau is protected from the destructive beam by the combined effort of all Pokémon in the Nebel Plateau.
- At the end of the manga, Alva was arrested by Officer Jenny instead of Kimia.