|Welcome to Bulbapedia, Satorukun0530!|
By creating your account you are now able to edit pages, join discussions, and expand the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia. Before you jump in, here are some ground rules:
Thank you, and have a good time editing here!
Perhaps you understand this already, but when every page we have does a thing, like these translations, please try to recognize these established patterns and respect them, don't just remove a part of it outright. You're more than welcome to ask about it on a talk page; we're always happy to answer questions if you think something can be done better. Please try to be more considerate of this sort of thing in the future. Thanks. Tiddlywinks (talk) 09:37, 9 January 2017 (UTC)
- Thanks. I'm still making my way around. But it!s my understanding, based on the pages I've read, that the translations should only be different from the official English name if the official English name is not a literal translation. See Alola Route 1 for instance: it doesn't begin "Route 1 (Japanese: １番道路 No. 1 Road)" just for the hell of it. It doesn't appear to be the case that "every page we have does a thing"; pages do different things based on their content, in this case whether the official English name is in some way different from how a literal translation of the Japanese would be. If you have some argument to make that "After You" is less accurate as a translation than "Go Ahead" then you should present it. Is it convention to keep some in-line record of the original fan-made translation from before the English versions of Black and White were released, as was apparently the case with that article? Satorukun0530 (talk) 01:48, 10 January 2017 (UTC)
- You're talking about something completely different from what I am.
- You removed the translation of the Japanese. That is not correct. All of our pages include that, even if it's the same as the official name. (Route 1 is, in fact, a perfect example of just that.)
- That's all I'm saying. I've not made any comment about the suitability of any translation for After You's Japanese name over any other translation; I'm only saying: removing it completely is not correct. Tiddlywinks (talk) 02:00, 10 January 2017 (UTC)
- But I didn't remove the translation of the Japanese. I removed one of the two translations of the Japanese, because I thought it was redundant.
- I can agree with the logic of providing a literal translation in addition to the English name in those cases where the English name is not already a literal translation (i.e., not the After You article), and I can even work with a convention I don't agree with (i.e., writing the English name twice in such cases, or preserving preliminary fan translations after the official English name is known), but if there is such a convention you should just say that, and preferably tell me where I can find out about how that convention was decided upon. Bulbapedia:Romanization is the closest I can find, and from what I can tell it was pieced together unilaterally by a non-admin back in 2011.
- Satorukun0530 (talk) 03:20, 10 January 2017 (UTC)