From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
A Pokémon that is a trio master is one who, in some way, oversees a legendary trio of Pokémon.
The trio master and the trio itself may relate in different ways. For example, Lugia is the trio master of the legendary birds; it is the only one who can quell their fighting when Lawrence III captures one of them in The Power of One.
Catching trio masters
In the games, the trio master sometimes will require that the members of its legendary trio be caught beforehand.
In Crystal, Ho-Oh cannot be caught until all three of the legendary beasts have been captured.
Pokémon Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum
In Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum, Regigigas will not awaken unless the player has the legendary golems in his or her party. Conversely, an event Regigigas unlocks the legendary golems in Platinum.
Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver
In HeartGold and SoulSilver, Rayquaza is only obtainable after both Kyogre and Groudon have been obtained in the same game, an impossible feat without trading or cheating.
Pokémon Black and White
In Black and White, Landorus is only obtainable after both Tornadus and Thundurus have been obtained in the same game, also an impossible feat without trading or cheating.
Other references to trio masters
- In Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team and Blue Rescue Team, the legendary birds must all be befriended before the player can enter Lugia's dungeon, and before encountering Ho-Oh, the three legendary beasts must contribute their power to create the Rainbow Wing.
- In Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time and Explorers of Darkness and Explorers of Sky, Aegis Cave has four bosses: Regirock, Regice, Registeel and Regigigas. The golems must be beaten first before Regigigas can be challenged at the end of the cave.
- In order to get Ho-Oh in Pokémon Colosseum, the player must first capture and purify all the Shadow Pokémon, which includes the legendary beasts, as one of the two requirements.
- In Pokémon XD, the legendary birds are encountered after the player encounters Shadow Lugia.
- In Pokémon Ranger: Shadows of Almia, the player needs to befriend all the Pokémon in the regional Browser which includes the legendary golems, to battle Regigigas. The golems themselves are also required in order to open the door to its domain.
- In Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs, the player needs to befriend all 300 Pokémon in the regional Browser which includes the three legendary birds, to battle Lugia.
Relationship with their trio
trio master kyerum
- Arceus is the only trio master that is related to more than one legendary trio.
- Lugia and Regigigas are two trio masters who were not present in the same generation as their trio. Also, they were both introduced in the generation directly after the generation their trio was introduced. This also makes their trios the only ones who did not have a known trio master in the generation they were introduced in, then gain one later.
- The Weather trio may be a reference to the three Jewish creatures, the Behemoth, Ziz, and Leviathan, as these Pokémon fit the description of them and have a similar role.
- The Musketeer trio is the first trio with a trio master that has an additional member, Keldeo, which may also classify it as the first quartet of legendary Pokémon.
- The Tao trio is the only trio group without a trio master.
- However, some fans speculate that Kyurem is the corpse of the original dragon after it was split into two. In this case, Kyurem could be an internal trio master, much like Rayquaza.
- Regigigas and Rayquaza are the only trio masters that do not share at least one type with any members of their trios.