| Due to special coding in place in the article, the artwork featured on this article will change every year on
This will only affect the artwork shown in the infobox. This changes every year, so when the time comes, clickto return to the page and change the display.
- 1 Back sprite colors?
- 2 Urm...someone messed up
- 3 Trivia Worthy?
- 4 Dongle?
- 5 Origin
- 6 Trivia
- 7 Gingis rescue team
- 8 gingies rescue 2
- 9 small trivia edit
- 10 HGSS backsprites
- 11 Question about ゲンガー
- 12 Shiny Mega Gengar
- 13 Two new trivia.
- 14 Totoro Origin
- 15 When Gengar Mega Evolves...
- 16 Trivia: Both Steelix and Gengar tied with the distinction of being the first trade induced evolution (with or without item) to be met wild
- 17 Ability Trivia?
Back sprite colors?
Gengar's front sprite uses a different coloration in HG/SS than it does in D/P/Pt. However, only one back sprite is shown here, and it uses the same colors as the D/P/Pt front sprite. Did they change the colors of Gengar's back sprite in HG/SS? It would seem odd to me if they didn't, but if they did, maybe a note to that effect should be added? HerbieHero 14:01, 5 June 2010 (UTC)
Urm...someone messed up
I quote... "In Generations I and II, and if Gravity, Skill Swap, or Gastro Acid is used, if the opponent has Mold Breaker, or the Pokémon is given an Iron Ball, the effectiveness of Ground-type moves is 2×."... Were any of them things available in Gen 1 and 2...considering Gravity was introduced in Gen 4? - unsigned comment from Buizel1991 (talk • contribs)
- It's not saying that those criteria apply in Generation I and II; It's saying that it was weak to Ground-types back then, before abilities were introduced, and still is if it loses its ability via any of the aforementioned items, abilities, or moves. In fact, it should mention the new move Smack Down as well. Oh, and sign your comments with four tildes (~). --AndyPKMN (talk) 23:56, 20 April 2011 (UTC)
Woops my bad =\ curse my reading skills! Sorry, just forgot to sign the comment. slipped my mind =\ Buizel1991 23:55, 21 April 2011 (UTC)
Gengar and Starmie are the only 2 Pokémon to be ranked as OU by Smogon in every generation, is this good enough to go into the trivia section? - Wexdarn 20:47, 21 February 2012 (UTC) See Starmie. --Spriteit 03:58, 22 February 2012 (UTC)
For location for DPPt, it says "Dongle instead of something like "Rare" or "Common". What does "Dongle" mean? --Ipodboqi 21:45, 2 April 2012 (UTC)
- This is a dongle. Basically it means it'll appear when you have one of the Gen III games plugged into your DS at the same time as DPPt. ★Jo the Marten★ ಠ_ಠ♥ 21:48, 2 April 2012 (UTC)
Gengar seems to be a Clefable ghost or shadow: they are about of the same size and they have similar shapes (Gengar spikes can perhaps be Clefable wings) - unsigned comment from Reizo20 (talk • contribs)
With the Gastly/Haunter/Gengar line being treated as fully Ghost Types and I believe their secondary typing has not once been addressed in the anime (or even mentioned in a single episode). Would it be noteworthy that they are the only Generation I Pokémon whose secondary typing has not been mentioned once or used in the Anime? G50 03:01, 22 May 2012 (UTC)
- They never mention any of the flying/normal types either. I don't think it's that important to be honest. ★Jo the Marten★ ಠ_ಠ♥ 03:12, 22 May 2012 (UTC)
Gingis rescue team
Who took out the part about gingis rescue team?!?!Ashichu 19:53, 22 May 2012 (UTC)
gingies rescue 2
How do I get the box off my writing on the pages? Please tell me! Its realy annoying!Ashichu (talk) 14:14, 4 January 2013 (UTC)
small trivia edit
Question about ゲンガー
That reads Ge N Ga (with that fourth character modifying the Ga), not Gangar. Why does it say Gangar? I've noticed this in quite a few pages, but I especially remember this one (now that we can edit, I'm asking now). - unsigned comment from Sinnoaria (talk • contribs)
- It's the trademarked romanization, so while it's not how it would normally be read, it's how it's written out on official products. This is also the reason for any other ones you've probably seen. --It's Funktastic~!話してください 05:54, 26 October 2013 (UTC)
Shiny Mega Gengar
I don't know how to edit Wiki pages, but I bred a shiny ghastly and raised it to a shiny Gengar. Wanted to add the photo to Gengar's page. Here it is:  Hopefully someone who knows how to Wiki will add this photo for me. Thanks! - unsigned comment from Omgourds (talk • contribs)
Two new trivia.
Since I don't really know how to wiki, here two info that could pottentially fit in the trivia section.
- When viewing mega gengar in its pokedex entry, you are unable to move the camera up or down.
- Gengar, along with scizor, are the only pokémon unable to participate in sky battle that evolve form pokémon that are able to.
- It doesn't really resemble Totoro much at all. Anyways, we try to avoid mentioning other copyrighted works in origins unless it's something that's unambiguously clear. --It's Funktastic~!話してください 00:42, 3 August 2014 (UTC)
- Sure it does; it has a round shape, long pointy ears, a grin, and flies in the air.Robbie (talk) 22:19, 25 August 2014 (UTC)
When Gengar Mega Evolves...
When Gengar Mega Evolves, is that little "gem" in its forehead the Gengarite, or is it actually part of Gengar's body? I read the Mega Evolution description and to be honest, I'm confused! WATERWARRIOR67 (talk) 14:10, 30 August 2014 (UTC)
- It's a eye.--ForceFire 14:15, 30 August 2014 (UTC)
Trivia: Both Steelix and Gengar tied with the distinction of being the first trade induced evolution (with or without item) to be met wild
Both Steelix and Gengar tied with the distinction of being the first trade induced evolution (with or without item) to be met wild, which occurred in Generation IV.
While Gengar comes first in the National Dex, it does require a third generation cart dongle, whereas Steelix can be encounterable without any such gimmicks.
After Gen IV, some other Trade-induced evolutions may be encounter-able in the wild (depending on the game), Such as Politoed, Huntail etc.
- We generally go by the rule that something has to be unique (the only one) to be worth noting in Trivia. Since this is two separate Pokémon, it doesn't meet that rule. Pumpkinking0192 (talk) 16:31, 30 September 2016 (UTC)
This question goes for all Pokemon who've had their ability changed between generations, but would it be worth noting that Gengar's ability changed from Levitate to Cursed Body in the Trivia section?Rainingblues (talk) 09:37, 4 January 2017 (UTC)