From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
Signature moves are moves that can only be learned by a single Pokémon or a very small select group of Pokémon by level-up (with the exception of Pichu's Volt Tackle), usually in the same evolutionary line. Note that any of the moves included in this classification (except for Chatter) can be learned by Smeargle by use of Sketch, making Sketch and Chatter the only moves that are truly exclusive to one Pokémon legitimately. Also, some of these moves can be passed down via breeding to other Pokémon.
List of Pokémon and their signature moves
Note: All levels listed are the level the Pokémon will learn the move as of Generation IV.
One-off signature moves
This is a list of signature moves that at only one point, another Pokémon had the ability to acquire:
Other signature move examples
- Although other Pokémon are capable of learning Drill Peck, Fearow, Dodrio, and Zapdos are shown to be the most common Pokémon to use it.
- The Squirtle evolution family and Sharpedo are the only Pokémon to learn Skull Bash by leveling up, but other Pokémon could learn it through TM40 in Generation I.
- Although Megahorn was no longer Heracross's signature move since Generation III, it is still the only Template:Type2 Pokémon that can learn the move.
- Sudowoodo is the only Pokémon to learn Mimic by leveling up in Generation II, but other Pokémon could learn it through TM31 in Generation I and move tutor in Generation III.
- Lucario is usually associated with Aura Sphere and Force Palm, but eight Pokémon (including Lucario) can learn Aura Sphere in total. Seven Pokémon (including Lucario) can learn Force Palm. However, it should be noted that Lucario is the only Fighting-type Pokémon to learn Aura Sphere naturally.
- Charizard, Venusaur, and Blastoise have traditionally been associated with Flamethrower, SolarBeam, and Hydro Pump, respectively since Generation I, despite the fact that several other Pokémon can learn those moves. In Super Smash Bros. Brawl, it even refers to Flamethrower as Charizard's signature move.
- Eight Pokémon can currently learn Arcanine's former signature move, ExtremeSpeed.
- Goldeen and Seaking had Waterfall as their signature move in Generation I, before it was changed to a HM. They are still the only ones to learn it by level up.
- In Generations II and IV, Hitmonlee is the only Pokémon who can learn Mega Kick. However, in Generations I and III, others could learn it through TM and move tutor respectively.
- As for Jump Kick, it was its signature move for the first three generations; however, it was discovered that Buneary and Lopunny can learn it in Generation IV.
- Jolteon and Vaporeon's signature moves are said to be Pin Missile and Acid Armor, respectively. Both abilities are alluded to in both Pokémon's various Pokédex entries. However, many Pokémon learn both moves by leveling up, and some through breeding. Likewise, Umbreon's Moonlight matches Espeon's Morning Sun, though others can learn it even in its introductory generation.
- Suicune, being known as the Aurora Pokémon, is associated with the move Aurora Beam.
- Ditto has Transform as its only move and is most associated with it; however, Mew is also able to learn it.
- Unown can learn only Hidden Power; however, almost every other Pokémon can learn it via TM10 in Generation II and beyond.
- Each of Rotom's forms has its own signature move that cannot be carried over to any of its other forms. However, none of these five moves are exclusive to it.
- Although several Pokémon can learn it by TM, until Generation III only Diglett and Dugtrio could learn Dig by level up.
- Until Generation III, Koffing and Weezing were the only Poison-type Pokémon capable of learning Smog. As of Generation IV, they are still the only Poison-types to learn the move naturally, and all other Poison-types must be bred the move to have it.
- Though many others can learn it through TM or breeding, Skarmory is the only Pokémon to learn Steel Wing by leveling up.
- Vigoroth is the only Pokémon to learn Focus Punch by leveling up. However, it also learns other Fighting-type moves by level-up, such as Reversal.
- Porygon-Z is the only Pokémon to learn Trick Room by leveling up.
- Almost every Pokémon is able to learn Facade via TM42. However, Chimchar is the only one to learn it by leveling up.