|This Ability effect may be in need of research. |
Reason: Check for other moves/Abilities that can or cannot copy/replace/suppress this Ability. Usual suspects: Simple Beam, Power of Alchemy, Mummy.
You can this on the talk page.
When a Pokémon with Protosynthesis is in harsh sunlight or is holding Booster Energy, its highest stat (other than HP and taking into account stat stages, but not held items) is increased by 30%, or 50% if Speed is the highest stat. Upon activation, a message tells which stat is increased to all the players. If multiple stats are tied for highest, Protosynthesis breaks the tie by prioritizing Attack, Defense, Special Attack, Special Defense, and Speed, in that order.
Protosynthesis will activate in harsh sunlight even if the Pokémon is holding a Utility Umbrella, but not if a Pokémon with Air Lock or Cloud Nine is on the field. Harsh sunlight will activate Protosynthesis before a held Booster Energy, so the Booster Energy will not be consumed if the Pokémon with Protosynthesis is in harsh sunlight. If activated by weather, the effect of Protosynthesis will end when the field is no longer affected by harsh sunlight.
Skill Swap and Doodle will fail if either Pokémon has Protosynthesis. Worry Seed, Gastro Acid, Role Play, and Entrainment will fail if the target has Protosynthesis. Protosynthesis cannot be copied by Receiver or replaced by Lingering Aroma.
Outside of battle
Protosynthesis has no effect outside of battle.
Pokémon with Protosynthesis
|#||Pokémon||Types||First Ability||Second Ability||Hidden Ability|
|Please note that this is only 100% accurate to Generation IX games.
- This Ability's name is a pun on photosynthesis.
- The greatest difference between a Pokémon’s individual base stats so that this Ability can activate for any stat without external stat changes is 72 points. This assumes that maximum effort values, 31 individual values and a helpful nature was applied to the lowest stat and 0 effort and individual values with a hindering nature to the highest stat.
- Because of how the stat calculations work due to their base stats, the following Pokémon cannot have Protosynthesis boost the following stat in battle without stat changes taking place, even with negative nature and 0 individual and effort values applied to their highest base stat:
- Great Tusk cannot increase Special Attack or Special Defense as its Attack and Defense will always be higher.
- Flutter Mane cannot increase Attack or Defense as the rest of its stats (both Special stats and Speed) will always be higher.
- Roaring Moon cannot increase Special Attack as its Attack will always be higher.
In other languages
|Variations of the Ability Protosynthesis|
|Protosynthesis • Quark Drive|
|Abilities affected by weather conditions|
|Sand Veil • Swift Swim • Chlorophyll • Rain Dish • Forecast • Snow Cloak • Dry Skin • Hydration • Solar Power • Leaf Guard • Ice Body • Flower Gift • Harvest • Sand Rush • Sand Force • Slush Rush • Ice Face • Protosynthesis • Orichalcum Pulse|
|This article is part of Project Moves and Abilities, a Bulbapedia project that aims to write comprehensive articles on two related aspects of the Pokémon games.|