Please remember to follow the manual of style and code of conduct at all times.
Check the Bulbagarden home page for up-to-date Pokémon news and discuss it on the forums or in the Bulbagarden Discord server.
Promotional cards (TCG)
- Black Star Promos redirects here. For the set of promotional figures for the Trading Figure Game, see Black Star Promo (TFG).
A great many Promotional card sets have been produced over the years for the Pokémon Trading Card Game. Unlike regular Expansion sets and Booster packs, Promotional cards are not available in booster packs, instead being given out as special gifts or found in special products. Categories of Promotional cards include:
Miscellaneous Promotional cards
- Main article: Miscellaneous Promotional cards (TCG)
These cards were and are usually distributed via various pieces of merchandise that often relate to core Pokémon Trading Card Game expansion or current events in the Pokémon franchise.
Wizards of the Coast sets era
- Southern Islands — Neo Series
- Best of Game Cards — e-Card Series
- Wizards Black Star Promos
- W Promotional cards
Nintendo sets era
- Poké Card Creator Pack — EX Series (non-tournament legal)
- Pokémon Rumble — Platinum Series
- Winner cards
- Prerelease cards
- Jumbo cards (non-tournament legal)
Play! Pokémon, formerly known as Pokémon Organized Play or POP for short, were special Booster packs that contained only two cards. This series started in September 2004, with a new set released roughly once every six months, until September 2009. These cards were typically only found by participating in organized play events but were occasionally included in Value Packs sold in stores. There were nine POP sets in total. They were created to bring useful cards that had been rotated out of play back into the game, as well as exclusive cards. With an increasing number of alternate-art Promo cards in Japan, the POP sets also served as a vehicle to bring them to the West. The usefulness of the latest POP sets were a subject of debate within the Pokémon community; collectors praising the releases in English, while they faced scrutiny by players, as many cards were the same as those in then current Standard format.
- POP Series 1 — EX Series
- POP Series 2 — EX Series
- POP Series 3 — EX Series
- POP Series 4 — EX Series
- POP Series 5 — EX Series
- POP Series 6 — Diamond & Pearl Series
- POP Series 7 — Diamond & Pearl Series
- POP Series 8 — Diamond & Pearl Series
- POP Series 9 — Platinum Series
Black Star Promos
Exclusive cards for promotional events such as tournaments, special events or through Pokémon-related merchandise. These all have a black star with the word "PROMO" written across it where the expansion symbol would normally occur, giving them their name as Black Star Promos. Only the first set was produced by Wizards of the Coast rather than Nintendo.
- Nintendo Black Star Promos — EX Series
- DP Black Star Promos — Diamond & Pearl Series
- HGSS Black Star Promos — HeartGold & SoulSilver Series
- BW Black Star Promos — Black & White Series
- XY Black Star Promos — XY Series
- SM Black Star Promos — Sun & Moon Series
- SWSH Black Star Promos — Sword & Shield Series
Released with McDonald's Happy Meals for a limited period of time and in limited regions.
- McDonald's Collection 2011 — Black & White Series
- McDonald's Collection 2012 — Black & White Series
- McDonald's Collection 2013 — Black & White Series (non-tournament legal)
- McDonald's Collection 2014 — XY Series
- McDonald's Collection 2015 — XY Series
- McDonald's Collection 2016 — XY Series
- McDonald's Collection 2017 - Sun & Moon Series
- McDonald's Collection 2018 - Sun & Moon Series
- McDonald's Collection 2019 - Sun & Moon Series
- McDonald's Collection 2021 - Sword & Shield Series
In other languages
|This article is part of Project TCG, a Bulbapedia project that aims to report on every aspect of the Pokémon Trading Card Game.|