From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
| This Pokémon has not evolved.
Pichu (Japanese: ピチュー Pichu) is a playable character in Super Smash Bros. series. It is only playable in Super Smash Bros. Melee.
Pichu is an unlockable character and can be unlocked by completing Event Match #37 or playing at least 200 Melee matches. Its main stage is Pokémon Stadium.
Pichu is a baby clone of Pikachu. Pichu is slightly faster and smaller than Pikachu, but does slightly less damage in its attacks and is lighter in weight. It also has the ability to wall jump. A great downside to Pichu's playing style is that Pichu receives a small amount of damage for each Electric move it uses, which adds up very quickly if used too much, allowing its opponent to kill it with ease. With the exception of Thunder Jolt and Thunder, Pichu's attacks are very short-ranged and needs to be in close range to deal damage, which is very dangerous due to it being the lightest character in the game. However, Pichu is also the smallest character in the game and is rather difficult to hit, combined with its great agility and dashing speed. It also has the highest Item Boost in the game, becoming far stronger with any item.
A Tiny Mouse Pokémon identifiable by its big ears, Pichu evolves into Pikachu. It's not very skilled at storing up electrical energy and will sometimes discharge it if jarred. Although it's small, it has enough electrical power to give even an adult quite a shock. It's often startled by its own power.
Compared with Pikachu, Pichu is a tad more nimble and a little more difficult to hit. Those are the only two advantages, however, and since Pichu damages itself when it uses electrical attacks, it's best suited for handicapped matches. Even though Pichu's tough to catch, it's easy to throw its tiny frame great distances.
Pichu is the lightest character in Super Smash Bros. Melee, and it's top of the class in weakness, too! For Pichu, it's all about scampering here and there to pick up items that will help it survive. The first warp in Agility causes 1 point of damage to Pichu, and the second causes 3, so try to limit the number of times you use the move.
- The wall jump ability used by Pichu in Melee is usable by Pikachu in Brawl. That, along with the fact the blue goggles Pichu wore as an alternate costume in Melee appear for Pikachu in Brawl and that the Pikachu species can only learn Volt Tackle through the Pichu stage, has caused speculation that Pichu evolved into the Pikachu in Brawl.
- Pichu is the only Pokémon character in the Smash Bros. series with attacks that can deal damage to itself.
- Pichu is tied with Kirby for the rank of being in last place on Melee's tier list and it is often considered one of the weakest character in the game; due to its light weight, short range, and it hurts itself with its own attacks. It is also the lowest-ranked Pokémon character in the series.
- While Pichu knows Skull Bash and Agility in Melee, it was never able to learn either move. However, its evolved counterpart Pikachu could.
- Also, even though neither move is Electric type, Pichu still takes damage upon using them in Melee.
- When Pichu crouches, it falls asleep. Despite this, it can be awoken instantly by pressing any button or ending the crouch.
- Pichu shares the same voice actor with Pichu Little from anime.
SSBM Pichu palette.jpg
Pichu's palette swaps in Super Smash Bros. Melee
- For more information on this Pokémon's species, see Pichu.