Check the Bulbagarden home page for up-to-date Pokémon news and discuss it on the forums or in the Bulbagarden Discord server.
|This article is a featured article. This means that it has been identified as one of the best articles produced on Bulbapedia.|
Madeleine Joan Blaustein (October 9, 1960 — December 11, 2008), most commonly credited as Maddie Blaustein, was an American voice actress for the English-language dub of the Pokémon anime. Her most famous role is that of Meowth. In season 1, she was credited as Adam Blaustein, while in seasons 2 and 3, as well as the first three movies, she was credited as Addie Blaustein.
Blaustein was born in Long Island, New York.
In addition to being a voice actress, Blaustein was also an artist and writer. She had written and edited for Marvel Comics and, at the time of her death, was the senior digital artist at DC Comics. She also worked at DC's Milestone Media imprint, and created the character Karmon Stringer/Rubberband Man for the Static comics, as well as the Adam Evans iteration of the character for the animated Static adaptation, Static Shock. Blaustein was an artist in Tranny Road Show, a performing group composed of transgender artists and performers. She had also collaborated with Gina Kamentsky on the cartoon Platform 6. Additionally, she coached Kayzie Rogers for anime voice acting.
As a voice actor, Blaustein was one of the original voice actors on Pokémon. Rogers helped her get her first role on the show, where she initially only played characters of the day, but after EP032, she took over Nathan Price's role as Meowth. She had commented that she tried to view the Japanese version of the series, and one of her goals was to emulate the scream that Inuko Inuyama gives Meowth. She remained with the series until the end of the eighth season, when Pokémon USA and TAJ Productions took over the dubbing and distribution of the series. Most of her roles were taken over by Bill Rogers and Billy Beach, who took over Meowth's role.
She returned in the special based on Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time and Explorers of Darkness as the voice of Chatot, which is her only role in the PUSA dub, as well as her final role on Pokémon before her death.
Pokémon fan sites PokéBeach and Serebii.net both reported that anonymous sources, at least one affiliated with 4Kids Entertainment, told them Blaustein died in her sleep of a stomach virus on December 11, 2008, after saying she was not feeling well.
Several days later on December 16, a blogger for 4Kids' The Buzz news feed posted confirmation of Blaustein's death.
- James's father (EP048)
- Sabrina's father
- Damian (EP011)
- Beedrill Trainer
- Professor Jacuzzi
- Pete Pebbleman
- Dr. Wiseman
- Meowth (EP018, EP032-AG145, M01-M08, Pokémon Chronicles, Mewtwo Returns)
- Ash's Corphish (AG023-AG139, M06-M08)
- Ash's Torkoal (AG058-AG133, M07)
- Growlie (EP048)
- Tyson's Meowth
- Officer Jenny's Growlithe (EP054-AG119)
- Sabrina's Abra and Kadabra
- Brawly's Hariyama
- Magikarp salesman's Magikarp
- Chatot (Wigglytuff's Guild)
- Jessie's Magikarp
- James's Magikarp
- Tyson's Hariyama
- Nurse Joy's Magnemite
- Nurse Joy's Magikarp
- Butch and Cassidy's Drowzee
- Macy's Electabuzz
- Attila's Skarmory
- Wattson's Magnemite
- Flannery's Torkoal
- Juan's Sealeo
- Rudy's Electabuzz
- Luana's Alakazam
- Anabel's Alakazam
- Kaz's Electabuzz
- Keith's Farfetch'd
- Pokémon League entrance exam instructor's Meowth
- Team Rocket Forever (English version)
- Meowth's Song (English version)
- Meowth's Party (English version)
- The Christmas Song
- Nobody Don't Like Christmas
- Pokémon Christmas Bash
- The Night Before Christmas
- Christmas Medley
- Double Trouble
- The Best at Being the Worst
- Polka O Dolka (English version)
Pokémon Puzzle League
Other non-Pokémon roles
- Jillas (Slayers TRY)
- Dr. Clash (F-Zero: GP Legend)
- Solomon Muto (Yu-Gi-Oh)
- Sartorius (Yu-Gi-Oh! GX)
- Rex Goodwin (Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's)
- Dr. K (Cubix)
- Osgood (Noozles)
- Burnt Meatballs (Fighting Foodons)
- Wally Tusket (Ultimate Muscle)
- All voices (Platform 6)
- Gollum (prank call to The Mike Malloy Show)
- Dr. Kureha (One Piece)
- E-123 Omega (Sonic the Hedgehog)
- Babylon Guardian (Sonic Riders)
- Helga (Dinosaur King)
- Chef Kawasaki, Tuggle Melman, Waddle Doo, Biblio (Kirby: Right Back at Ya!)
- Cherit, Rasimov (Huntik: Secrets and Seekers)
- Grizzlepuss (The Little Panda Fighter)
- Shortly after it was announced that the voice cast would change after the eighth season, she joined both the Bulbagarden and Serebii.net forums to answer questions from fans.
- Blaustein and Ikue Ohtani are the only actors listed as reprising their anime roles (Meowth and Pikachu, respectively) in Pokémon Live!. While Ohtani is listed as the voice of Pikachu in the show, considering Ohtani's role in the dub is just a reuse of her work from the Japanese version, it's likely only archive recordings of Ikue Ohtani were used for Pikachu in the show. Given this, Maddie is very likely the only actor from the anime to actually contribute a new performance for the live show.
- Blaustein passed away on Lisa Ortiz’s 34th birthday.
- Maddie Blaustein's MySpace Page
- Announcement of Maddie Blaustein's death on the 4Kids Entertainment website (archive)
- Ask Maddie Blaustein - Q&A with Meowth (archive) on Serebii forums
- Maddie Blaustein's account on Bulbagarden Forums
|This article is part of Project VA, a Bulbapedia project that aims to write comprehensive articles on each voice actor of the Pokémon anime.|