From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
|| This article does not yet meet the quality standards of Bulbapedia. Please feel free to edit this article to make it conform to Bulbapedia norms and conventions.
|| This article is incomplete.|
Please feel free to edit this article to add missing information and complete it.
Kecleon Shops are locations in the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon series. They exist in Pokémon Square (Red and Blue Rescue Team), Treasure Town (Explorers of Time, Darkness, and Sky), the town in Blazing, Stormy, and Light Adventure Squad! and in dungeons (all games).
The Kecleon shop is run by two Kecleon brothers. The younger sells items like food and toss items and the older, a purple Kecleon, sells Wonder Orbs, TMs, and Keys. The player can sell items to either brother. In Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team and Blue Rescue Team, the Kecleon Shop is one of the closest buildings to the team base.
In Time, Darkness, and Sky, the shop is near the center of Treasure Town; it is where the main characters meet brothers Marill and Azurill. In the WiiWare games only the younger brother is at the shop.
A dungeon shop in Red Rescue Team
The shop is made up of a number of carpeted tiles on the floor in certain dungeons. These tiles have items on them. Invariably, a Kecleon will be standing on one of these tiles (unlike in the town, there is only one Kecleon). When the player
steps on a carpeted tile, the music changes and the player is greeted by the Kecleon. To buy an item, the player must pick it up and talk to the Kecleon to pay for them. To sell items, the player simply places them on shop tiles, and then talks to Kecleon to receive the money. Items available in these shops are sometimes very rare and almost never available from the Kecleon Shop in Pokémon Square
or Treasure Town
. If the player picks them up and leaves the carpeted area, Kecleon
will warp to the player's side, demand payment, and offer money for sold items. If the player refuses to pay, or tries to pay with insufficient funds, the Kecleon will label the player
a thief (which will get the attention of nearby enemies) and attack the player. Using a Trawl Orb
has the same effect, as Kecleon shop merchandise is counted among the floor's unclaimed items. Nearby enemies can also throw Warp Seeds at you before you can have the time to pay, which is considered as shoplifting. If a Warp Scarf activate, it'll be considered as stealing. Using the moves Teleport
, Lunar Dance
or Healing Wish
in a Kecleon Shop counts as theft, since the user warps out of the shop because it only has 1 HP left. Also, an explosion resulting from Selfdestruct
, or a trap
will destroy any nearby items, including Kecleon shop merchandise, which Kecleon counts as a theft.
Effects of theft
After the player steals from a Kecleon Shop, a number of changes will take effect immediately, and will not wear off until the player reaches the next floor or somehow escapes the dungeon.
- The background music will change.
- Escape Orbs will become useless.
- Attempts to complete a rescue mission will fail. However, retrieving an item from an outlaw will allow the team to escape the dungeon in a perfectly normal fashion.
- The Kecleon shop itself becomes no different than ordinary ground, aside from its appearance.
- Items that remained unsold at the time of the theft become regular items and can be picked up by passing wild Pokémon.
- Placing items on a Kecleon shop tile will not result in a sale.
- Placing the stolen items back on the Kecleon shop tiles will not result in any leniency or forgiveness.
- The Kecleon that ran the market will turn hostile and begin attacking the player.
- Addional Kecleon will spawn and join the original Kecleon. These Kecleon have abnormally high stats, are at level 90, and are constantly at double speed, which makes them exceedingly difficult to defeat. However, defeating them is the only possible method of recruiting a Kecleon.
- In Red and Blue Rescue Team, the leader must be level 90-100 and holding a Friend Bow to have a 0.1% chance of recruiting Kecleon.
- In Explorers of Time, Darkness, and Sky if the leader is level 99-100, is holding a Golden Mask, and has the Fast Friends IQ skill, the chance of recruitment is approximately 0.5%.
- If the player is knocked out by a Kecleon, any remaining items in the bag will be turned into Plain Seeds.
- Main article: Kecleon glitch
In Red and Blue Rescue Team, the Kecleon in a dungeon shop can be made to follow the team around and behave as a team member, but will not follow the team onto the next floor.
The glitch is performed by using a Pass Scarf to make a wild Pokémon damage the Kecleon.
Another glitch is to lure a wild Pokémon near a Kecleon and have the wild Pokemon attack Kecleon. If done successfully, Kecleon will follow you, as if it was part of your team, but will dissapear once you change floors or leave the dungeon. In Explorers of Time, Darkness, if a wild Pokemon is KOed on a Kecleon shop and drops an item (especially boxes), the item is taken like usual, but you'll be considered as a thief. Even talking to Kecleon before leaving the shop won't do anything, as it wasn't a Kecleon Shop item.
Kecleon Money Glitch
- Main article: Kecleon money glitch
In Red and Blue Rescue Team, an unlimited amount of Poké can be obtained from a dungeon shop by quicksaving the game after putting an item on the ground but before talking to the Kecleon.