From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
Jimmy (Japanese: ケンタ Kenta) is the main protagonist of The Legend of Thunder!. His starter Pokémon was Cyndaquil, received from Professor Elm of New Bark Town at the same time as Vincent and Marina.
Jimmy has an energetic personality both during battles and outside of them. He has a habit of saying "You rock and you rule!" ("OK! Perfect!" in the original) to his Pokémon and giving them a thumbs-up after winning a battle. He can be quick to jump to conclusions but also knows when to be serious and get a job done.
Jimmy is similar in many ways to Ash. He also cares for Pokémon very much. This can be seen in his concern for Raikou when it was injured. He is also determined and never gives up in battle. Like Ash, he is also close to his starter Pokémon, which is now a Typhlosion. He has a battle style that focuses on offense. As such, his Pokémon are trained to take attacks and still keep fighting.
His main goal was to become a strong Pokémon Trainer so that he could protect the kids in New Bark Town, his home town. He also has a crush on Marina which appears to be mutual. Both of them participated in the Silver Conference a full year before Vincent did.
Jimmy makes a cameo in the beginning of Zoroark: Master of Illusions, battling against Ash with a Donphan. During this appearance, he wears the updated clothes of his counterpart Ethan.
This is a listing of Jimmy's known Pokémon:
Jimmy also has at least four other Pokémon, as he was seen with six Poké Balls during The Legend of Thunder, two of which contained Typhlosion and Beedrill.
- Much like Ash is based on Red, Jimmy is based on Ethan.
- When Vincent appeared in the Silver Conference (known then as Jackson in the dub), Marina and Jimmy were referred to "Dani and Yoshi" respectively, leading many to believe that "Yoshi" was the official English name for Jimmy, and "Dani" was the official English name for Marina. Whether this was the original intention remains unknown. However, in The Legend of Thunder!, they're identified as Jimmy and Marina.
- Jimmy's English name may come directly from Pokémon Gold and Silver. There is a minor Trainer named "Kenta" in the Japanese version whose name was localized as "Jimmy" in the English translation - a Youngster on Route 3 with a Raticate and Arbok. The dubbers may have mistaken this character for an unrelated anime character. The same thing happened to Vincent.
- Jimmy is the only anime character based on a player character who has met the anime counterpart to his counterpart's female counterpart, as he is good friends with Kris's counterpart, Marina. Despite this, he is not shown to have met Lyra, who is based on Ethan's Generation IV counterpart.
- A similarly named character shares Brazilian voice actors with Jimmy.
|| Reference to
|| ケンタ Kenta
| Chinese (Mandarin)
|| 健太 Jiàntài
|| From 健太 Kenta. Can mean "extremely healthy."