From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
Hilda (Japanese: トウコ Tōko, romanized as Touko) is the female player character in Pokémon Black and White. Her male counterpart is Hilbert.
In the games
As the protagonist
Hilda is a girl who lives in Nuvema Town, along with her childhood friends, Cheren and Bianca. If chosen as the player, she will receive a starter Pokémon and a Pokédex from Professor Juniper. After setting off on her Pokémon journey at the same time as Cheren and Bianca, Hilda will at some point be asked by Fennel to do some sort of quest; in return for its completion, Hilda will receive a C-Gear.
As well as encountering and battling her childhood friends at various points during her journey, Hilda will also meet a young man known as N, who wishes to create separate worlds for humans and Pokémon. In order to achieve his goals, he and Hilda will battle several times during the course of the game. Hilda will also battle Team Plasma at various stages of her journey. At the game's climax, Hilda is recognized as a hero by Reshiram or Zekrom, depending on the version.
As a non-playable character
If not chosen as the player, Hilda appears as the player's partner in the Battle Subway when choosing to ride the Multi-Train. Two of the following Pokémon are picked from the corresponding list, depending on what the player wants her to base her team on. If the player chooses "A balance between the two," Hilda's Pokémon are chosen from either list.
In Black 2 and White 2, the protagonist of Black and White was said to be searching for N in a faraway region and has not yet returned home. Her mom mistakes the player for her.
Battle Subway Pokémon
This is a list of all the Pokémon used in the Multi Train and Super Multi Train battles. Each Pokémon has a non-Hidden Ability that, along with gender, is randomly selected. These Pokémon will always have the maximum 31 individual values across every stat and the full 510 effort values evenly distributed (rounding down) among two or three stats.
In the manga
Hilda has a counterpart in the Pokémon Adventures manga named White, who debuted in the Black & White chapter. She owns a company called the BW Agency, and gets the idea to hire Black upon seeing the bond the latter's Tepig had with a female of its species.
- Prior to the release of Black and White, pre-release media and most fans referred to Hilda as "White".
- English demos of Black and White referred to Hilda as "Whitlea".
- English pre-release screenshots referred to Hilda as "Shiro" (the Japanese word for "white").
- Hilda and Hilbert are the first player characters in the main series not to have preprogrammed names either by choice or in case one isn't specified.
- In the May 2010 volume of CoroCoro Comics, it was stated that Hilda and Hilbert are older than previous player characters, but it is not known how much older they are.
- According to game scenario author Toshinobu Matsumiya, Hilda and Hilbert were initially visualized to be at the age of 16.
- And according to an interview in Famitsu, Hilda and Hilbert were identified as about 14 years old.
|| トウコ Tōko
|| From 闘 tō, fight
|| From Hilda, a female name derived from the Old High German word hiltja (battle). Also related to Hildr, the Old Norse word for "battle" and the name of a valkyrie in Norse mythology.
|| Similar to Ludwig (Hilbert). Possibly from lutte, fight
|| Possibly from lotta, Italian for fight
|| Similar to Athena, the Greek goddess of wisdom and warfare
|| From liza, "combat" or "arena"
|| 투희 Tuhui
|| From 투희 (鬪姬) tuhui, battle maiden