From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
Hawes (Japanese: キダチ Kidachi) is Lenora's husband and is the assistant director of the Nacrene City Museum.
In the games
He leads the player around the museum upon the player's first visit, and warns of Team Plasma's commotion before they make off with the skull of a dragon's skeleton.
Hawes appears to revere his wife, calling her both strong and gentle as a Gym Leader and a person.
- "Wow! Whenever I look at this skeleton, I'm...fascinated. Welcome! I'm Hawes, the assistant director. Since you were kind enough to visit, I'll give you a tour of the museum. This skeleton is of a Dragon-type Pokémon. There's a theory that it had an accident while it was flying around the world, and so it became a Fossil. This rock is amazing! It's a meteorite! It contains some kind of energy from space. Oh, this? It's an ordinary old stone. It was found near the desert, but other than the fact that it's old, it doesn't seem to have any value... We only display it because it's rather pretty to look at. The Pokémon Gym is just beyond here. At the end of the Gym, a very strong and kind Gym Leader is waiting. By the way, the Gym Leader Lenora happens to be my wife!"
- "Deeear! Dear! Come quickly! Team Plasma is threatening to steal some bones!"
- In the museum during Team Plasma's theft
- "Oh! Oh! We have to go after them!"
- "Lenora loves that skull..."
- Jingle: "Woo hoo! All right! It's 'The National Gymquirer'!"
- Page: "That's right! We collect the hottest gossip about Gym Leaders seen around town! Here is today's letter. From someone going by the name Bonadventure! Thank yooou! 'I saw it... Lenora, in the middle of the night...talking to bones in the museum! I also heard a man's guttural laugh... It was scary!' I see. Very horrific. But, I'll bet it was just her husband, Hawes. He has a weird laugh... 'The National Gymquirer'! We eagerly await your letters!"
In the anime
Hawes makes his anime debut in A Night in the Nacrene City Museum!. He is the vice-curator of the Nacrene Museum and proves to be somewhat cowardly.
He first appears when he is being chased by a Dome Fossil under the powers of a Yamask. He tells Ash, Iris and Cilan about it and they go to see it, to only find it is in its normal place. He tells them that when he and some workers were putting some ancient ruins together as an exhibit, strange things began happening such as bodiless footsteps and a mysterious purple flame appearing.
He then shows the group around the museum and decides to sleep with them inside the museum to see if they spot any strange occurrences. They eventually discover it was because of Yamask that had been taken with the exhibit without it knowing. Then when sleeping, it accidentally dropped its mask. Hawes found it and put it behind a glass and Yamask has been trying to get it back.
He appears again in the next episode, where he referees Ash's Gym battle against Lenora. He also referees Ash's rematch against Lenora in Rematch at the Nacrene Gym!.
In the manga
Hawes in Pokémon Adventures
In the Pokémon Adventures manga
He appeared in the Black & White chapter, greeting Black as he entered the Nacrene Museum. He then took him to the Gym's puzzle. After Black's Gym challenge, Black and White encountered him on the street, where he informed them that some artifacts were stolen from the museum. After Black and Burgh retrieved the stolen items and returned them to him, he praised them and said that Lenora would be very pleased with the turn of events.
- In the Japanese version, he calls Lenora "Mama," in the way married adults will call each other "mama" or "papa" instead of by their names, as well as a reference to her Japanese title. This is changed to "Dear" in the English version.
|| キダチ Kidachi
|| From 木立アロエ kidachi aloe, the Japanese name for Krantz Aloe.
|| From Harriet Boyd-Hawes.
|| From Aloe vera.
|| 아보레 Arbore
|| From Aloe arborescens.
| Chinese (Mandarin)
|| 木立 Mùlì
|| From 木立 Kidachi. Also a reference to 木立蘆薈, Krantz Aloe.