From Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia.
Hanbei (Japanese: ハンベエ) is a Warlord in Pokémon Conquest.
He, along with Kanbei, is one of Hideyoshi's personal advisors, and junior warlords. Despite his appearance, Hanbei is the older of the two.
In the games
Hanbei and Kanbei do not appear at all during main storyline, making their first appearance during Hideyoshi's story: Happily Ever After. With their help, Hideyoshi eventually brings Ransei together as one peaceful nation.
In Hanbei's story, The Reluctant Genius, Hideyoshi chooses Hanbei to represent Ignis in the Junior Warlord Competition. He is also in the player's army at the beginning of Kanbei's story; The Visionary's Quest.
| Warrior Skill
|| Added Bonus
| Perfect Links
- Transforms to Rank II by reaching a 60% link with Pikachu or Raichu while Kanbei is in the same kingdom.
- "<Pokémon's name>, <move's name>!"
- "Let's do this before I fall asleep."
- "Your luck has just run out."
- "Hey, <Pokémon's name>, I've been thinking. The thing about battles is... They'd be a lot better if you could win them in your sleep, don't you think?"
- "Right then! Let's wrap this up quickly, shall we?"
- "Yup! I formed a link! C'mon, <Pokémon's name>—let's go!"
- Upon finding a Perfect Link:
- "Pikachu/Raichu... There's something about you that's a little bit different from other Pokémon I've met. D'ya get me? I feel as though I'd be way more energetic if you were around, Pikachu/Raichu! Probably. Anyway, let's be friends!"
- When Pikachu evolves when Hanbei is at Rank 2:
- "Now I sense an even greater power than we had before, Raichu. You feel it too, right? Let's stay friends, Raichu!"
- "Use my <item>!"
- When using his Warrior Skill:
- "Fact is, I'm a genius!"
- "Well, everyone knew before we started that I was gonna win, right?"
- "I'm busy too, you know. I don't have time to waste doing this."
- "Hey, I thought so! Yeah, you look pretty good like that!"
- When bandits steal a rare item:
- "Why?! Why did this happen? Well guess we've no chouice but to get 'em back! C'mon, <Pokémon's name>!"
- When a rare Pokémon appears in a kingdom:
- "This could be a good chance, you know! Well, there's no harm in trying, anyway."
- At the start of Happily Ever After:
- "Aw, Kanbei... You're always such a downer..."
- At the end of Happily Ever After:
- "Lord Hideyoshi... Isn't that...?"
- At the start of The Reluctant Genius:
- "Eh? Me?"
- "Oh, my lord... Can't you just let me sleep? I really can't be bothered with this, Kanbei. Let's get it over with as soon as possible..."
- "Hehe. Didn't you hear him, Kanbei? I'm the Warlord of this kingdom now. He should be the one who watches his mouth in front of me!"
- At the end of The Reluctant Genius:
- "It was nothing. That's just the way I—(cough) (cough cough cough)..."
- "No. It's nothing. Just something in my throat."
- "Don't make that face, Kanbei. You should be happy for me."
- "You're not wrong! And your kids will probably look like that as well, Kanbei!"
- At the start of The Visionary's Quest:
- "To be honest, being a Warlord is such a pain. Why don't you do it, Kanbei? In fact, I'm older than you, so it's my decision! From now on, you're the Warlord around here!"
- "Hm? Yeah, of course. It's all yours, Kanbei. So, what are your orders, Lord Kanbei?"
- "Oh! Aiming a little high, aren't we? All right, let's do this!"
- At the end of The Visionary's Quest:
- "Three cheers for Lord Kanbei! You did it, my lord. Looks like we work well together, eh? Two geniuses are pretty tough to stop."
- "Hey, now... I don't want to talk about that. I just wanted to see what you were really capable of, Lord Kanbei! I wanted to see you...smile!"
- "What? Come on, man! There are times when it's all right to smile, you know! Times like this!"
- "You're just way too uptight, Lord Kanbei! But I guess you're not going to change. Okay, what's our next mission...?"
A genius with truly astonishing brainpower and a confidence that doesn't quite fit his appearance, his dream is to spend every day sleeping.
Hanbei is based on the real-life Takenaka Shigeharu of Japanese history, who was also known by the name "Hanbei" (半兵衛). He was an expert tactician who successfully executed an uprising against the Saitō clan. Toyotomi Hideyoshi was so impressed by Shigeharu's strategy, he invited him to join his army as a strategist.
- Hanbei has the lowest Power of any Warlord in both of his ranks. This is likely a reference to his historical counterpart having tuberculosis, an illness that killed him midway through his life. He is also eluded to be sick during the end of his story, The Reluctant Genius.
- Despite appearing like a child, he states he is older than Kanbei. How much older is unknown, though in real life, Hanbei was two years older.